This is recommended for both the amateur and the experienced writers.
_ some of the advice should be taken as a grain of salt since some I think is good at first but may actually not right there
_ #NEW If you worry about copy other authors style without make your own style ? It fine if you don't have good foundation for your writing style. Look for the stories you liked and copy their styles. Then by combining them, create your own style. It won't, probably, be perfect after the first time but by the time it will certainly be better. Maybe even reach a level where people would look to your fiction just for your style alone.
_Update at 21/9/2017: Check the comment at page 3, I have copied an author’s rules when it comes to writing novels, for new guys here. It’s neat, and there’s some interesting detail about "Good" and "Evil" on the same page.
_update at 4/11/2017: for good define of characterization and what type of character, check page 4 near the bottom
[special] wow, after a year this post have already reach 10.000 view, as a thank for this, I will try to spend my free time for one day in this week to organize most of this stuff so you guy can have a better reading experience and less chaos, I will also test the "spoiler" code so I can package most of the long text part in, you would only need to find the title for what you need at that time, mostly (oh, and the reason I haven't done so in the past is because I quite busy nowaday + don't know about spoiler code thing)
#NEW update at 13/8: FINALLY, managed to edit all of them in my first post, since I crammed a lot of text here, it make the editing so hard in this first post because of keep getting lag and even froze, now you can find what you need more easier, the bottom part of the second post will be where I leave new tips/material/link there so you can easily know what new, then after a while (around 1~2 weeks), I will edit to move them in a right place, for the longer text one and the rest of my material in other page, I will slowly move them into my second post and create some missing topic there so you don't have to search all over the difference page of my threads, and another reason is this first post are getting overflow now that I can't edit it easy without getting lag/freezed
#NEW fixed the link for "Universally advice for writing from pastey5", so now you can reach to the one you need from there, if you found any link that broken, you should PM me so I can fix it quickly
#SPECIAL: right now there are 30 day free courses trial here that can show you a good tip and material for writing (near the end of the video will show detail about that)
Tool for navigating this post:
have you thought about using ctrl + F yet ? It a tool that helps find the word/sentence you are looking for in that tab, so it can be very useful for editing chapter here (copy the part that hasn't fixed in the comment and search), and also to find the topic of what you need in this post
- The Yandere Darkling's guides and links for authors.
- Kurohime's Guide
- Guide Forum
- Suggestions & Questions Forum
- Codes and Tables for your fiction
- #NEW Luci's List of Worldbuilding Tools & Writing Prompts (recently found this, also the one that inspires and give me a good example to organize my post neater, you should check his site first for a solid foundation before check my, since my is more for a broader topic )
- how to keep your sanity when facing this kind of problems (infamou 0.5 star reviews/rating).for a summary, instead of focusing on stars, focus on these two instead:
1. The number of your followers
2. The numbers of favorites
3. The total views. (oh, that's three but whatever)
Articles on RRL:
- How NOT to write
- How to deal with bad reviews:
- new to writing dungeon story ? , check this discord sever (name: Dungeon writer Alliance!) [RECOMMEND]
- insight about real life problem (including about author and reader) and some can apply for the story
- Try googling "The basic rules of storytelling", there are some quick and useful tips there that you can check out.
Tools for spelling, grammar, and editing:
Grammarly* (Most recommended)
Bing (comparing with google translate the bing is better)
Plume Editor (somewhat professional editor, there you can write some background and other scenes so you don't forget)
prowritingaid (best editing machine, of course, it still have a downside, check the 4th comment in this forum post to see it)
_For newbie: 15 Grammar Mistakes That Make You Look Silly
[SPECIAL RECOMMEND] A way to remove the stolen novel, the talk about that problem
(In case the link die, the main point is: To get your story off Webnovel.com, the only option is to send them a DMCA email (link is in their footer ), as they completely ignore community reports. Even then, from what I know it is an extremely slow process.
You can also fill out a Google DMCA form to remove the link from Google search results)
Description/writing style/writing technique:
- RRL member willing to help you improve your description [free]
- a website that allows you to know more detail of how to show/Descriptions the scene like crying scene here:
- about a good writing style (which is quite rare in royalroadl) from a comment
- way to write a good sci-fi novel (check the talk in this comment section)
- Discussion on Eastern/Western writing style (here you can know the Characteristics of each writing style, why they are like that and their strong/weak point)
- Why question mark aren't alway good (I copy this from some author a long time ago, only read this for better understanding, not apply to your writing completely):
A question mark is not a sentence. To show that the character is confused, use a tilt of the head, a perplexed look, a flick of the ears or something else. Avoid using question marks. It’s lazy story writing, also don't use "Ehh" and "Ahh" frequently. Think back to all your favorite books (not anime). How often do characters say that? Not often. Another is that you use of "...." instead of using natural pauses through your writing. If you use words like hesitating, pausing, or describing them looking off to the side, or rubbing their head sheepishly, or any other way that can show that a character is not speaking immediately, it’ll improve your storytelling a great deal.
- How to do a Tournament Arc (after watch this I also notice that "My Hero Academia" plays perfectly to the tropes of shonen manga, a really good executed one here)
- On Writing: how to kill your main character [ Game of Thrones l Vikings ]
(useful tips from comment of video:I think adapting similar aspects into anyone's own story is a tricky thing to do - a lot of writers tend to focus more on the character's motivations and make that decide who he is as a character, rather than writing the characters and letting their decisions be decided by their own traits, ideas and flaws)
-Deeper about "how to kill a character", have titles for each aspect of that topic you can see there (don't worry, this only take 1/5 of that page, the rest are just comment about it) [recommend]
- “Showing vs. Telling” Is The Wrong Conversation (note: this tell other problem like "Recognizing Heavy Scenes", or maybe I could say "over-descriptive" that usually have in Xianxia novel )
- This site was mainly intended for science fiction authors who wanted a little scientific accuracy (the latter link do show some way to describe better)
- This will give you a better idea about writing the Weight in Action, physical and emotional weight
- [Recommend] 9 Examples of Foreshadowing technique in Fiction (oh and this website show the way and question to write from scratch to finish the book here )
Chapter titles recommendation:
Instead of listing your chapters as "Chapter X: Title" my recommendation is to list "Chapter X.Y: Title" with the X referring to part/volume/arc and the Y referring to the chapter number.
Tip: there are other versions for Name generator in accordance with cultures, such as "Japan name generator". There is also a city or World Map name generator (Simply google it).
- Fantasy name generator
- Scifi ideas generator (like the name say, this site not only give the idea, but it also shows good realistic detail about a certain topic and even have a generator for every sci-fi topic like ALIEN SPECIES GENERATOR)
- random idea/topic/description of almost everything (even include totally new random race, Recommend)
General Writing advice:
- Universally advice for writing from pastey5 , that every reader can check out (mostly new writer)
- Basic Rule of writing (from 'Lone' author, this only for reference)
- How to Motivate Yourself to Write Every Day [RECOMMEND]
- How to build a fictional world - Kate Messner (for someone have an idea but don't know how to write that idea out)
- Brandon Sanderson - 318R - #1 (Course Overview) [Recommend to watch for every author,including experienced author]
_comment from one author: I discovered that I'm a discovery writer, need to keep better track of my own characters progression and development, figured out I need to take a step back from my own story once in a while and all in all gained a shitload of inspiration.
All in the first two lectures. (how long for all of those video from him ?, around 12 hours, but I'm sure you will become an expert writer after watching this, lol)
- For new reader interesting in your story from the start:
- Random Dao generator (if you need a profound DAO saying for a certain topic then this is for you, easy to use)
- A Case Against LitRPG (From Naruto and HxH Creators), they have great point about writing LitRPG in manga here
- how to use Tropes/cliche right (from the comment)
- If you have a "power creep" problem then check this video, it shows a way to solve it. (also for dungeon novel)
- #NEW The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
- #NEW example to make a comedy scene, in the absurd lv of Gintama (you will out of breath when watch this video)
- #NEW idea about time travel
Spoiler :it have 4 theory: grandfather paradox, self- consistency principle, many-worlds interpretation and Non-existence. You can google it principle to know the main detail (and remember to add 'time travel' in)https://www.readingielts.com/ielts-reading-practice-test-12-time-travel/
- For plot twist ideas:
Imagine dedicating yourself to a dream, or hope, or hatred or an ambition, but when you reach your destination. It was all in vain.
Example: She was led into believing that she was a girl that was cursed into being a futanari, but was actually a hermaphrodite, to begin with?
(From this chapter, try it, this novel’s very entertaining and funny. If you read the first dungeon battle part and not the first 2 volume then you’ll see it. There are no dark and tragic elements, except for volume 1.):
- if you want to attract more reader, here is a few tricks:
-you can sign the writers pledge:
this is a pledge/promise authors do to their readers, promising to finish their novel with a satisfactory ending, promising not to drop it, and you will receive a banner ,Signatories are advised to promote the pledge thread to maximize the benefit they receive from the assurance of readers who know that their fiction will end properly.
-you can stock more than 5 chapter and release it nearly at one (minimum is 1 chapter/hours so the system recognize it for better effect, there are schedule mode to help you auto release it) or make a daily release for a week (make sure it in the same week) ,this way will make your story easy to climb on "popular this week" and attracting more reader from that (want near 100% sure to climb up there ? ,do the same ,but with more than 10~20 chapter and you will surely jump to the top spot for a while, that will be enough for a good start) oh and make sure the first chapter (or around 2~5 first chapter ) are as good as possible since it reflects the skill of your writing for the rest of the novel (for a reader that just want to find a good novel without wasting their time by reading the first chapter
- do you know there are rain sound simulator ? This will make your mood feel better (there are other rain websites, like this one that allow for further option )
- About Rewrite :
1) Reason to not rewrite. Yet. Wait until you reach a definitive 'end' of it (in the comment)
(in my options, unless you have a terrible Prologue or very bad grammar to the point unable to read, too big of the error/plot hole or really need to make a major change of plot then don't try to rewrite too soon)
2) -Short version: Hate rewrites, but if you have to go about it, do a flowchart with the beginning, key events and location, key character, and an ending.
Barebone, but follow it.
*Just a simple advise about rewrite(from other comments):
Changing or rewriting you do, needs that you love the change. because it's your story, so you need it to like. without it heading the suggestions of the reader headless would end up with you having a writing block and no motivation whatsoever to continue writing it. Consequence you dropping the story and I can't read it to the end.
(source: http://royalroadl.com/fiction/17197/a-dragons-dungeon/chapter/202688/announcement-not-a-hiatus?comment=1532036#comment-1532036 )
- basic understanding about most of the magic system (realistic or game type) that new writer should read (in the comment):
- basic understanding about stats and skill apply to a lot of RPG novel/game (but this is not 100% true and only for reference,try to make your own status/game system here )
- 5 LIFE HACKS That Will MOTIVATE You To Do ANYTHING (if ain't nobody got time to watch that, then just skip to 6:45 for summary tips)
- Swordsmanship: The Basic Types of Defense (this give new writer basic idea of fight scene, so I post this again heree)
- RWBY | Why Ruby Rose is a Bad Protagonist (this point a way to distinguished and avoid writing static character,and do show clear example of it ( if you haven't finish volume 4 and maybe volume 5 of this series, then don't watch this yet,unless you don't care or don't mind it),btw the highlight comment section may justify for why they do that in the first place but get f*ck up in writing it )
- RWBY | Stupid for the sake of the plot (like the title and my explanation above said)
- about the character growth chapter (found a guy said this):
If you try to write character growth all in one chapter. Don't do that. Character growth is NEVER a 1 chapter thing. It's a 1 ARC thing. (8-40 chapters, depending on the book) forcing his character growth in 1 big change in 1 chapter, and then having him be fun for 7 chapters of action and experiments, and then 1 big chapter of a character change, is annoying and a trap a lot of young authors on here seem to fall into.
If you aren't super good at character growth yet, that's fine. Just don't FORCE it into the story. Figure out where you want him to be, then write the plot backward on an outline with just major points if you want.
so far I see trends developing that a LOT of other people fall into and don't try to stop and their stories die.
- This is actually a lecture, sorta. It’s very good for anyone that likes character development. If u got the time, then please watch this. 'Investigating Human Behavior - Jacque Fresco [HD]' (1:11:44 long)
- advise about 'not' writing character personality (from someone comment, this is one general advice):
You should NOT tell us that you change your MCs personality. Either rewrite it or gradually change it. Especially DONT. UNDER. ANY. CIRCUMSTANCE. tell us how to perceive a character. Show us, don't tell us. The reader MUST form their own opinion of the character. Personally, I refused to read past the part you said how you want us to view the character. I recommend you just wipe that authors note. It's a big NO!
- want to know how to write reincarnated mc in the start as realistic as possible ? Read this first chapter (especially near the end?, This was panic portrayed correctly, a mind under true duress.)
- For the first time in ages, I'm sad to leave the infant stage, this was one of the most satisfying transition chapters of the whole "reincarnated" genre I've read. There is actually a believable transition between the careful/untrusting state of mind to the acceptance/trusting one. With the right dose of emotion (here are the main part of the dialog that nail it right for how a family react to that truth about the mc, it near the end of this chapter link btw)
"You... mad. I'll... leave. Not... wanted. It's... fine." I turn back and respond, tears streaming down my face. Don't wipe your eyes. Don't try to elicit sympathy.
"Yeah, I'm mad! For a lot of reasons! But mainly because you're MY SON," He yelled, the feeling in my chest worsening. "I don't CARE that you're smart. I KNOW you changed after you suffocated (my note: this part is where the mc possess this new body), and a part of me knows you aren't the same boy that you were and that hurts. But we were given a second chance in the form of you. You're MY SON and it pisses me off that you'd pretend not to be! If we are your family like you claim then put a little more faith in us! You think I'd throw you out just because you act a little different? Am I a monster in your eyes!? I've done everything I can to make you feel welcome for over a year now. Emily has done more! You think we didn't notice you were uncomfortable? Different? Do you take us for idiots?!"
He paused to take a breath while my knees gave out beneath me and I crashed to the ground, back leaning against the door. "I, WE don't care what you know, who you are, what the story is behind how you came into our lives. You've brought us the joy that is having a child and that is all we EVER expected from you! It doesn't matter who you were, boy. Your name is Damien, and if you try to walk out that door again, I'll throw your ass in your room myself and seal it off with ice!" The man was exhaling like a bull after a rodeo, red in the face. He stomps over to me and picks me up by my arm and gives me a rough hug.
World Building Tools (Name Generators, Power Generators, Mood Generators, etc.)
- link for World Map Maker:
- Rinkworks Name Generator - My personal favorite when I can't name a side-character.
- Behind the Name - Great site, especially if you need names based on real-world languages.
- Seventh Sanctum - Lots of great Generators to choose from.
- Springhole - Builders and Generators for almost everything you could ever need.
- Fantasy Name Generators - Tons and tons of options.
- Mary Sue, Kirk Syndrome, etc. Tests (also on Springhole)
- SFWA Worldbuilding Questions - by Patricia C. Wrede on the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America site.
- Want to make a custom and realistic fantasy world map ? , check this: Fantasy Maps & Plate Tectonics (show basic knowledge and tool to make, check other comments for more)
- I would also recommend Sanderson's Laws of Magic as a guideline for anyone interested in world building.
- If you need a deeper biology or ecosystem for a monster, including how living armor works, then there’s chapter about that. It’s actually some type of shellfish that has an outer shell that looks as if it’s part of the armor there. Then read this manga. It’s very entertaining and detailed. It’s also hilarious and delicious, imagine "Shokugeki no Soma" version monster dish: "Dungeon Meshi"
- I think everyone should watch this video "FINISHING A STORY - Terrible Writing Advice", this happen like nearly "every author who dropped his/her novel" all over the time (mostly on this website)
(a comment from this video)Spoiler :
The worst thing about excessive worldbuilding, in my personnal experience, is that at some point your main storyline become so complicated and based on lore elements that it becomes impossible to start writing the actual story without a long and boring exposition dump. It's a good thing to have hundreds of sub plots, secondary character and lore elements, but when they end up becoming vital to the main storyline, you have to spend time to reorganise that, and thus waste even more time and effort that could have been dedicated to actually writing.
That being said, I think many of us who suffer from the worldbuilder syndrome are mediocre writters who could however be great worldbuilders. Maybe books just aren't the right way to tell our story and expose our world. Maybe other medium, like video games or roleplay, are more appropriate considering the type of stories and universes we end up crafting.
[Recommend] here is a list of good channel for research (in a lot of aspects that can be used for writing, depending on the topic you write):
- channel name: Physics Girl, Veritasium, SmarterEveryDay, Vsauce, CGP Grey, Real Engineering, RealLifeLore, Primitive Technology,KnowledgeHub,Military History Visualized, NUSensei , simple history, Isaac Arthur
- [recommend] here is a three youtuber that have a lot of good video advice for writing a book :
- [Recommend] Channel for any author of sci-fi story (this channel is perfect for research and find any good idea here, example: Colonizing the Sun, black hole generator,...)
- "The Problem With Missiles in Sci-Fi Space Combat - Spacedock Short" if you need a more detail reference/analyze when it come to writing sci-fi novel, then this channel is for you
- If you to writing about blacksmith thing then you can check the list of youtuber below in that site, there are few good youtube channel talk about it, like this one that teaches about basic of it
For making 3D custom character with a game (mostly female character) :
[warning, it an eroge game, as long as you only use to make the character and take a shot for a picture (with cloth, of course), then it will be fine]
- you need a Unique custom make for your 3D realistic characters girl ? , then try "Honey Select", it free (but I think some part need a mod for your character like elf ear or clothe and scenery here, for example, check this chapter)
here is the link for the guide of most thing like download,.... (don't ask me, I haven't played or download it yet, you have to do it yourself)https://www.reddit.com/r/HoneySelect/comments/6er9ww/so_you_want_to_play_honeyselect_updated_dlcs/(oh and this one do include non-human model if you use a mod, and you can have action model, here is the example from this author picture, unlike the game below)
- want to make your 3D anime girl appearance for your novel ? ,then check "Custom Maid 3D 2",it quite similar to the game above,including the "getting it installed and working is such a pain in the ass if you've never done it before that it would probably deter most minors." part, The game does have sexual content, so user discretion is advised.
About politic, psychology and power:
- Socialism For Dummies (if you are research for government system for your novel, then watch this first to know the basic of most system, short and easy to understand: Basic Forms of Government Explained)
- if you need to know more about how to manage kingdom, politic, economy and maybe military managing/strategy then this is the one for you (there are a novel version that goes quite far ahead a bit now):
- [RECOMMEND] This youtuber can give a lot of realistic knowledge about few topics with some animation for easier to understand, here is few of topic series:
The Art of War by Sun Tzu (Animated with Examples)
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli (Key Ideas Explained ) [P/s: it is fundamentally about power. Specifically, it describes how to acquire it and then how to keep it]
Crowd Psychology, Manipulation & Propaganda
Historical Figures [P/s: learn what they did and how they become successful]
Practical Philosophy [p/s: How to apply classic philosophy to modern life]
and more,just check his channel Eudaimonia
- how to manipulate and read people (machiavellianism), this channel have a lot of good videos there
- Inspiring talk about taking hit from life and keep moving forward (and they do make sense)
- Problem with Cerberus Syndrome that claimed many good novel (from the comment)
- About Female warriors in history (reason why there are not much female warrior in the first place, also for woman system thing like marry multiple women, but still, you should check other comments for more information for sure if you want)
- By the way, are YOU a GOOD PERSON? | Harvard Moral Dilemma (also funny,and have some good question from Harvard Moral Dilemma,you can check out from the description link in the video ,there are a lot of good video here like "Justice: What’s the Right Thing to Do?",one example from the video:"if you look at the history something that used to be thought as right,now is completely immoral" )
- Rules of war (in a nutshell, and check Highlighted comment to see how American/Russian go around that rule)
- The Threat of AI Weapons (yes, this is what we can do right now, can give the idea for politic behind it, along with good animation example for easier understanding)
- Megacorporations Make Poor Governments | Incoming (problem and a way to write Cyberpunk corporation )
- The Most Inept Dystopian Government | Incoming (for any author of sci-fi story,this is for you)
- This will let you explore most type of mental health through character design here
- The Problem With Modern War
- [Recommend] 7 tools of dialogue (if you struggle with your "robot dialog" then this advice is for you )
- An example of Clear Dialogue. By writing like this, you can also find errors more easily upon editing (this is for reference so no need to follow 100% )
The other tall man with a beard seemed to reach out for something.
“Don’t touch that!” Malsour barked across the room.
The man’s eye met Malsour’s with an annoyed expression.
“We’re not sure if that will destroy everything in a ten-foot radius or plant a forest for ten miles!” Malsour yelled.
“Bob, what the hell is this place?” The man asked.
“Well, it's good of you to ask, Water,” Bob said with a smile as he walked over to Malsour.
Fire looked pale as she crossed her arms protectively over the very visible stomach bump.
“What the hell are all of these things doing in the same place and what is that over there?” She asked, pointing right at the ‘sun’ and mana wells.
“Damned bomb factory in here,” Malsour muttered.
“Malsour Dracul, you will explain what you are doing with such dangerous magic!” Fire demanded just as the door to the lab closed, Dave and Deia walking in.
“Bob! What the hell, dude? This is supposed to be a secret lab! Not a damned tourist attraction!”
“I wanted to show them the stuff we’ve been working on. They’re some of the oldest people after me and they do have a lot of knowledge about magic,” Bob said.
This is from a novel, it’s very well written. This is how most conversation, in English, looks like:
- Another good example of what dialogue should be, this is an example from that reader
[As I lean forward in the chair, staring at fathers glass of whiskey "Father, I need a moment to think about this."
"That's fine, it is a lot of information to take in" he states as he takes a sip of his Amber liquor.
'It does seem like being a blood soldier would suit me as my main talents fit its criteria. I don't have the skill set to heal people. On the other hand, while spying and assassinations may have its place in the world, the thrill is not there for me. '
After leaning back I to the chair, I ask them both "How limited are my options with this note on my file?"
Quietly speaking for the second time, Vitta grumbled "It makes you a black sheep with most employers. Being a blood soldier is a respectable duty where questions are not asked outside of the chain of command. In fact, your father is one of the few weird ones that would react so calmly to your situation at school. Should it have been an average parent, their reaction would have taken a different, more emotional turn. To which you seem to have understood by your questions earlier."
"Would it entail anything special before I turn 13?" As I furrowed my eyebrows.
_reader comment: And blah blah blah. It adds some more detail but at the same time doesn't repeat what was said. Plus, full stops. You can actually take a mental break before a headache builds from a run on sentence that just goes on and on and on and on and on, a little like this, which isn't good since you were expecting a moment to breath two commas back but you can't because the paragraph isn't finished.]
_from this comment
About chine fantasy (like Xianxia, cultivate,.....):
- This novel, not only show you how to implement background building for the main character, it even points all the problem the writer has with cultivation worlds and MC’s in every cultivate novel ever. Read this chapter to learn it. (There’s no need to start reading from the very beginning.):
- [recommend] some really good insight about the Xianxia novel in general here, there are 3 comments that you can clearly see talk about different part of a genre, and you may see some problem you are doing/writing/encountered are mentioned in this one:
(source from most of this comment: https://www.royalroadl.com/fiction/16320/painting-the-mists/chapter/223781/book-3-chapter-6-hope?comment=1660017#comment-1660017 )
_The idea that the strong rule and the weak suffer is present, but people take sides. It's annoying how many Xianxia start with the character with an op ability because he got good karma from helping poor people in their past life, but as soon as they become cultivators all that "caring for others" goes out the window. Or when an OP "good guy" MC sees an injustice that would take him just to snap his fingers to solve he goes like "well, not my problem, this world is like this" of course is like that if they don't do anything to change it.
_I don't like the power stripping in stories, but that's because I hate angst. He hasn't been too angsty, either working, trying, or watching children. Not whining and lashing out at friends. The building back stronger than ever aspect is something I like. Most cultivation novels sects and schools start you out with shitty techniques and even if you stumble across op technique, the idea of the character being able to improve it is much more appealing than just getting things.
_I love Xianxia but the way the Chinese write characters and their philosophies etc get on mhm nerves, this one is much more humane, much more emotional. It’s an amazing blend of Xianxia immortals and Morden western philosophies and ideals.
most reincarnation books either make reincarnates a dumb idiot, an intelligent super genius with modern skills or neglect it completely.
You displayed the characters modern earth identity through his mindset, philosophy, ideals and little tie bits of knowledge and memories, rather than through a shallow display of modern inventions (machinery, technology etc) or dumbness due to a lack of common sense.
There are also some novels where you see the MC shed his original identity as an earthling and completely accommodate the conventions of the world they live in. Which isn’t bulls##t, that’s not character development, that’s just the author losing the biggest asset of what reincarnation novels can give.
if there’s a thing I never understood about most cultivation novels is how it keeps talking about defying the heavens or immortals not concerned with mortal things etc. Is that then why the hell are they so goddamn stuck to convention, they’re defying the goddamn heavens for gods sake, why do they wise men keep giving advice like their so wise, but what comes out of their mouths is essentially talking banjo how the world works and that they should accept it and if they don’t then they’re idiots. Like, isn’t defying the heavens and cultivation, essentially going AGAINST how the world works?! Do you even understand this paradox, like sometimes it can’t be helped, but non-existent of these cultivators for some reason ever think about changing things. No, they kill things, get things, invade things. They’re always looking at the heavens but never below them. They defy the heavens, but Then live a conventional cultivation life, kill things, get things, invade things etc.
They live in law of the jungle, just like Wild animals do. I sometimes can’t see these guys as anything special. Greatness comes from the mind, and what you do with what she inside the mind.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
Your novel does none of that which I love, the way you develop your characters make a lot of sense, takes time, and they don’t lose their original beliefs but rather evolve them.
Cha min is both a reasonable man, but also unreasonable, he’s reasonable in that he’s always thinking of others, and think everyone should have choices. But he dislikes fate, he dislikes the way the world is, and while he has adapted, he also rejects it. He continues a vegetarian diet and continues to do illogical things, risking his life for a fox he just met. Etc. Essentially fighting for one's ideals is unreasonable. And in Xianxia novels I see very few characters that do that. Which is very ironic, considering they get a string in order to change their lives, but then they become the same people that they hate or take revenge against.
I feel like more than any other cultivation novel, I can see how these characters come to understanding with the workings of the world, without completely shedding their identities. There are some who try yes. But is narrated to show the consequences and the night impossibility if it.
Ok, some of the stuff I said may not make sense since I’m writing this is at 6 am in the morning without sleep. I’ll edit this later or smth.
- what are Xiaxia Genre and their tropes (so new writer know it and either can avoid or try to use it in right way)
- Idea for a way of cultivating, they are in the comment section (in the comment there are sh*t tons of way to cultivate from reader here, even the weird/freaky/odd one )
Good novel list which can be used for reference and for entertain:
(I will separate into two type, one with interesting idea/Unique or good research in certain part like crafting,although some are quite bad but I still add, mostly for the idea and some of the good deep research like crafting, other will be mostly professional novels with tangible success or the one that nearly at published/Amazon standard for novel. Reading published novels is how most successful authors learn to write )
- Interesting/Unique novel:
-The Dao of Magic (Just check the top 4 reviews. Still continue)
- There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns. (funny, cute and good dungeon novel, better than "haven in a dangerous world", still continue )
-Fayde of the Void (The first is version was already good, but the new version is even better. Not sure it continue or not)
-Kingdoms Online (want a good novel about kingdom building and crafting ?,this is the one for you,try to check my review to know the good,the bad and the ugly about this novel,even though there are a lot of haters who not even read past chapter 20 keep down vote my review, dropped)
- Irregular (Rewritten) (a unique story with the mc and his group of friend who are forced to change into the non-human race, hiatus ?)
- Orc Lord (a very good reincarnation, into a monster story, have quite a good crafting and city building, some Unique magic and lore system, haven't read a while but I'm sure this is above average standards of novels this site, still continue )
-The Voyager (want a mc who is really cold-blooded and very calculating, a mastermind, but know how to acting, still justify and still quite likeable in some way ? , then you are finding a right one, btw it writes in a realistic point of view rather than the original game where the Raider win every encounter without loses, just read the review, only warning is MC will do ANYTHING to achieve her goal, so expect some betrayal, dropped, but she rewrite into new one, and it better than the old version, Instead of being blindly emotionless, the mc was now cleverly emotionless, which was more chilling)
- Greatest Xianxia Book (want to know all the Xianxia tropes and cliche' ? [in a nutshell way], read this one, it very funny, short and fast release here, it a good quick read, hiatus ? )
- #NEW Diary of the Shadow Queen (read top review and my, it an APOCALYPSE CULTIVATION STORY DONE RIGHT, still continue)
- Reborn with the All-Seeing-Eyes (if I have to compare with most of naruto fanfiction, it beat a lot of them, you can check review to know more, just my advice is you should at least read to chapter 15~16 to get the good part there, and you will learn some art of ninja onion cutting competitions there, then chapter 19~20 going dark quick but really good there, too bad it dropped)
- Professional novel:
-The Simulations (Check my review to know what to expect, this novel is like a professional work, dropped)
- Artisan (a Very good AI mc one, but dropped)
-Impera (if you are a fan of realistic kingdom building, OP mc, and Roman theme, then this is for you, very realistic and he also finally stop rewriting/draft, so now you only have to wait for a new chapter, still continue)
-Threadbare (want to find a perfect and good example of LitRPG, non-living MC novel ?, then this is the one you looking for, it also in the best-rated novel in this site, finished)
-Painting the Mists (finally a really great,quite unique Xianxia novel with great execute and no tropes like "everyone is ridiculously hostile towards the MC for no effing reason", check the review for further detail, oh and if you worry about slave arc, don't worry, it very well done and only around 5~8 chapter, it also where the lowest point of the story so there won't be anything more lower there, still continue)
-the Mediator (Has great character development and contains a lot of meaningful lessons, but it dropped)
Hardcore: Qi Worlds (The thing I like the most about this story is even though it's a chapter a day it still retains it's uniqueness, most chapter a day story's loss a little bit of individuality for the sake of consistency but not this one. [comment of author about his novel: I can't stand other Litrpg and other Vrmmos that spend 50 pages in the real world creating an unnecessary backstory. They are all the same. I wanted to jump straight in. Now we have some real-world stuff happening that actually matters and effects what happens in the Qi Worlds.], I think it in hiatus now )
-The Tale of G.O.D. (if you are new to royalroadl, then this is a "must read" series of this author here, you can google to see which order you should read first for the timeline, but still it not really that matter, book 1 finished)
-A Gentleman's Curse (it is one of the rare gems when it comes to reincarnated story, this is how most reincarnated story should be written [mostly] in a quite realistic way, you may see me mention again about this novel for some of it aspect example, still continue)
- Dragon, Silver Dragon (this is how a OP mc story should be, It explored a creature (dragon) that all of us are familiar with, but in a completely new and unique way, also show a lesson about problem and some solutions for a immortal character,here is it quote "What goal do you have when there is nothing that can challenge you? Where do you find drive when you have entire universes at your claws? What do you buy when you own the wealth of a thousand worlds? Where do you call home when you don’t even know the name of the planet you live on?" the start are quite rough, but a bit later the story evolved in its own way. Finished)
- Necrotourists (have you read One punch man ?, then this novel will 10/10 make you rolling on the floor laughing, and plot twist on the cliche's everywhere + reference, like Gundam, and have a Unique magic system with OP mc, also have good lore, taking a rest )
- Lia and Lara will seek the One Piece (if you like fanfiction, including naruto, One pice, Mass effect, then you can check other novels from this guy, it very good, especially this one and the Mass Effect one, he has changed the original to fit in and yet it does not feel strange in any way at all,and Kestix also prove that OP MC's can live without harems to those harem crazed authors and readers,oh and in this one the two mc become less psychopaths, sociopath and bloodthirsty now compare to the previous novel,you can check the review, still continue)
- Cultivating Civilization (it about the different take on cultivation with a bit of science and logic behind all the discoveries of the mc, and it is a story of an old man that reincarnates in a world with cultivation, but with a nice twist soon in the beginning. I cannot tell much without spoiling, even in the original site it is still in the very beginning. All I can say is that the mc will use all the knowledge he has, his relationships, the good and bad ones, and his wits and intelligence, to survive. There is no fucking quasi-omnipotent item or talent to defeat his enemies, in almost all novels with something like that, the quality goes downhill, fast. For more information, check my and other reviews, hiatus ?)
- Ero Dungeon Evolution (warning, 18+ novel: want to find great sex material and LEWD stuff for writing that chapter ?, or you just there to satisfy your weird fetish, then say no more and check this out, still continue )
- The Red Lands (A REALISTIC STORY OF ENDING UP IN A MEDIEVAL FANTASY WORLD, and see the mc from the bottom of society slowly rising up, from surviving and using his wit + merchant/marketing skill and some of real-world knowledge he barely managed to remember, like us since we don't have perfect memory anyway, read the top review, still continue)
- Starcraft Unbound (you can read my top review there for a better idea, it about a normal soldier get send to a hell mode + 1 game in Starcraft 1, and it won't just go through normal campaign story, and it also quite realistic, still continue)
- Space/sci-fi recommendations - giving and looking for
About crafting and knowledge:
- For Zombie Apocalypse
What NOT to Use Against the Undead
8 Best Exercises for the Zombie Apocalypse (BE READY!)
How Could We Survive a Zombie Apocalypse?
By the way, Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? (very funny and have some useful information for difference scenario)
- For Fantasy/medieval:
-For more details on sword and weapon fighting. (Including guns and what happens when that specific gun and ammo hits armor) Check out this "Skallagrim" youtuber [recommend]
- The Fantasy Re-Arm by Shadiversity. He basically analyzing the fantasy creatures anatomy, environment and lore to give them the best fit weapon and fighting styles. Especially the fairies in this video, he also sometimes make a good video like "The problem with giant SWORD" [recommend]
- This game, Absolver, is very detailed when it comes to martial arts. It shows the different moves, strategies, and stances that are to be used in different situations and confrontations. Yes, it also includes some real-life martial art like Taekwondo (too bad the game only allow for limited move available to use in one match, at least they have diversity move there to chose), you can check this video to have better view on how high lv player be like (to be honest, this only for give idea and some inspiration, if you truly have no idea about how those move/martial artwork, then I suggest not watch this):
- This one is also useful, have you check it out yet? (human body weapon, this is a realistic fighting technique, Recommend):
- MEDIEVAL WEAPONS AND COMBAT - Knights Armor (MIDDLE AGES BATTLE HISTORY DOCUMENTARY)
- MEDIEVAL WEAPONS. Heavy Armour
- Near the end of this chapter, the author makes a semi-auto paint gun rifle and also makes its cartridge like this, so it still works without needing gunpowder. It works with wind runes. (Just skip to the part near the gun/bullet picture to see the explanation. It’s near the bottom of this chapter.):
https://postimg.org/image/cmncnc1c9/ (the picture link die =.= , and most of his picture in the novel chapters)
Here’s the comment for more detail about this gun and ammo. (If you need to make a gun in a fantasy world with some magic elements.):Spoiler :
The metal for the ammo needs to be soft like lead to engage the rifling. Bullets deform when they’re shot, that makes a bit of them sink into the grooves (rifling) of the barrel. If you use iron or something harder it will be worse than a smoothbore weapon because you’ll lose the force of the explosion/wind as it goes around the shot.
The air tanks could be charged ahead of time and then have can have a mechanical release that would give you hundreds of shots, like paintball markers of today.
A weight that gains momentum has more force so the astrilium would make a better smoothbore shot. E=MC*MC
He could have made a wind and a fire rune with maybe something to condense the wind to make an explosion, instant modern day weapons with no cartridge.
- found this list from a guy, if the world your mc is in didn't have any of those (medieval age) then here are a lot of simple inventions that the mc can invent even if he doesn't have a great memory or isn't a crafter in the first place here (like how normal people like us can remember and do), they will greatly help the people/kingdom in medieval era there :Spoiler :
gear (easy and simple to make, cheap material like wood, just need some small iron part for some invention, can apply to make a lot of invention with this, like the well handle thing, city gate,.... )
Non-electrical Refrigerator: Mohammed Bah Abba made a really cool invention, which won a Rolex Award of $100,000 –a refrigerator than runs without electricity. Here's how it works. You take a smaller pot and put it inside a larger pot. Fill the space in between them with wet sand, and cover the top with a wet cloth. When the water evaporates, it pulls the heat out with it, making the inside cold. It's a natural, cheap, easy-to-make refrigerator. Evaporative fridges are a relatively well-tested, proven, low-tech approach to cooling. They can cool products, food and beverages at about 15-20 C below ambient temperatures. They are most appropriate in hot, dry (not humid) climates
Create fitness equipment: weights like dumbbells, barb bells etc.
Batphones (hear amplifier): The name alone makes these worth writing about: Batphones. The low-tech hearing aid is an update to simply cupping your hand to your ear. The side “scoops” channel sound from in front directly into the ear, much as a satellite dish focusses the signal into the antenna. Matthias Ries' concept isn't meant to be a replacement for regular hearing aids, but more as an enhancement for people talking in loud places, or those with a small amount of hearing loss. - MC could use for scouting etc.
horse collar device: A horse collar is a part of a horse harness that is used to distribute the load around a horse's neck and shoulders when pulling a wagon or plough. The collar often supports and pads a pair of curved metal or wooden pieces, called hames, to which the traces of the harness are attached. The collar allows the horse to use its full strength when pulling, essentially enabling the animal to push forward with its hindquarters into the collar. If wearing a yoke or a breast collar, the horse had to pull with its less-powerful shoulders. The collar had another advantage over the yoke as it reduced pressure on the horse's windpipe.
semaphore line/heliograph / shuttered lantern for faster communication - using light or candles for moving quick messages.
distillation of products for stronger alcohol?
introduce higher mathematics for accounting?
double entry book keeping?
cast iron plow
Two-horse straddle-row cultivator patented
Spring-tooth harrow for seeding
Grain cradle and scythe design for easier grain harvesting
then there are this picture that give other simple but important idea
-Want to build a very good wall in the medieval era ? Check a lot of technique from China here
-How clean were Medieval people?
-If you to writing about blacksmith thing then you can check the list below, there are few good youtube channel talk about it, like this one that teaches about basic of it
-Swordsmanship: The Basic Types of Defense
- for modern/sci-fi:
- If you are quite a newbie to understand the Piercing power of each ammo/gun type then check this video (he shoot a damn LEGOS WALL)
- There is a site called Orion´s Arms, its hard sci-fi content is to inspire authors
-The Threat of AI Weapons (yes,this is what we can do right now, and I paste here again since it do give idea for what they can do)
-This site was mainly intended for science fiction authors who wanted a little scientific accuracy
-For your character learning to fight and defend in modern time ,check this one : Krav Maga is a tactical mixed-martial art/combative and self-defense system that combines boxing, judo, jujitsu, and aikido)
-Ultimate Tank Ammo guide (simple, easy to understand with his demonstration, short, some operational principle of it can be used for some magic attack like earth + fire here) [Recommend]
-Do you know the best modern armor is called "Dragon Skin" ?, it's made of Kevlar and overlapping ceramic plates, it can stop all small arms, most rifles, shotguns, and grenades with minimal damage to the person it's on
-How to Defend Earth Against an Alien Invasion
idea for the building town novel type :
have you check some game like banished,life is feudal: forest village, ancient city, Knights and Merchants,Settler 2 (10th Anniversary),.... ?
here is review for that settler 2
- This guy show a good real life army strategy in an easy to understand video here (and I do see some other good strategy video on the right of youtube screen on this link, not sure it the same for you guy) [RECOMMEND]
- Have you checked total war series ? Can give you a better idea of army strategy here (since warhammer version can give you a better idea for an army in the fantasy world), here is two [RECOMMEND]
and there are more video guide and tactics from this guy, very good and to the point (you can check other total war strategy guide for better idea, they are still game though so of course there will be some unrealistic part in it, but at least they are as good as they can be anyway for those new in this )
- Pro's Guide to: Hand to Hand Combat (this channel have some neat video guide, but I feel they mostly work with the untrained opponent or you know what you are doing, although their company channel is not the military one, but the outfit/cloth one so they usually not accurate, but their video are interesting anyway, you just need to read comment like the highlighted comment in this video to confirm if they legit and good or not)
- How to tactical movement (from the modern army)
- Slicing the Pie - FPS tips and tactics (can use in real life)
- Urban Combat - Room Breaching & Clearing - US Army (2011)
- Handgun Disarms - A Reality Check (check the highlighted comment for more detail)
(continue in second comment)
- problem and solutions about harems (read the comment, and you should read this part of the chapter I leave bellow, they are very good and meaningful if you want to give the mc harem a good meaning)
_ You should check this novel, it pretty good and this chapter gives more good ideal about the harem part (this novel also show how to use the tropes but in a good and more interesting way somewhat)
http://royalroadl.com/fiction/13445/reincarnated-lets-be-a-pirate/chapter/157108/chapter-18 (read chapter 17 and 18 for the topic about that harem problem)
if you are lazy then maybe just check this part in chapter 18
"But the place Cole is from doesn't have a concept like multiple spouses does it?"
She turns to me this time. Had she read my thoughts maybe? She's clearly leading me towards the issue I have seen from the start.
"Mhm, that's correct. In fact, I find it hard to imagine a successful relationship with multiple people. Where I am from, it's normal to love only one person, anything else will lead to disaster. It's impossible to love each equally, someone will always feel left out. It causes strife within the once cohesive group and anger forms on all sides."
"That's what I thought, so it is the same world as Damien's. I will tell you their feelings since it's pointless for them to tell me." She points to the girls who are holding their chests as if in deep pain from my words. I imagined the reaction would be like this. "They don't care about equal love. They just want you. To choose one and pity the rest? Or none? Is that better? I will add this part myself. Don't make the choice Damien made, don't hold back for their sakes and run away once you can't face it any longer. Don't force them to think 'they' are the reason you ran. Don't leave them with the regret Damien left us with. Please, change your line of thought for their sakes. Don't push aside their love in an attempt to shelter them. Trust them with everything, I don't think they will disappoint you."
That was heavy. This whole meeting was heavy. I had expected a nice talk with a Goddess instead I met one of the Demon King's Harem members. And she revealed all my secrets. Even ones I didn't know. She revealed or rather forced me to reveal my issue with our current relationship. She brought a lot to light. She forced me to rethink what I want.
Do I want to continue as I have? Ignoring their feelings as it suits me. Lazing around with no intentions. I suppose I don't, but to do anything else seems impossible for me.
This Damien, he felt the same then? Was he like me? Someone not used to the attention. Just happy to have people close, but keeping them at arm's length for safety. It seems it has hurt his friends. Can I imagine a Rou and Aqua who hate each other for my sake? An El who ignores Mirna's request to play hide and seek? It hurts to try. I want to continue living happily as a family. Does that mean I have to come to terms?
I refuse to force myself. It wouldn't be fair. I want to love them the way they love me. It doesn't seem fair to do anything less. I will take Aquarou's advice. But I have to stay within my pace. Anything more and as Aquarou said, I would likely run away from them. Sparing them the pain by separating. But she is right, that's not better. It's just selfish.
"I have been, wrong. For some time, for that, I am sorry girls. I am grateful you accept me so easily when I still have trouble accepting myself. And I don't just mean this Demon king business, I mean in general. You asked about my confidence. 'They' are my confidence. They trust me so I have no choice but to trust myself too. I love you, Rou, Aqua, El, Alice, and you too Mirna. You are the closest things I have to family in this world. I would do anything to avoid losing you. And if that means disregarding my world's logic, I will. If you trust that I can love all of you enough, then I have no choice but to trust you."
_here is a input from a comment
[I remember seeing a comment before of character development for the harem members what you've been doing lately introducing bits and pieces here and there is actually quite nice it shows progress in their relationship and not some automatic trust to the point where the characters blurt out everything (seen this happen in some harem novels, was confused on why some characters who met up normally with no tense or extraneous situation creating a situation where that would be normal). It's also nice how every couple of chapters we find out more of their personalities and thoughts like with Mirna in this chapter.]
_ This comment for those who not done a proper plot and just slap the "harem" in
[Too much harem. More girls equal more time developing the girls and relationships and less time for actual cool fights and adventures and actual character development. Think about the story as a focus. If you want romance and sex comedy as the focus then harem is fine. Just don't expect much to happen in terms of plot. Or worse don't have any depth of characters and each harem member is a bland trope or stereotype. Like cat girl nayaaah. Or tsundere. Or cold noble. Or fiery battle maniac. ]
For new material/tips/videos:
_#NEW 10 Smart Tricks to Avoid Pickpockets
_#NEW How an AK-47 Works
_#NEW Engineers Created A New Bionic Arm That Can Grow With You (cyberman, here they come )
_#NEW set a goal for each chapter
Well, it might help you to set a goal for each chapter (i.e.: dungeon discovered) and then refuse to end that chapter until the goal is reached. Once you've noticed that you've gone waaaaay past your word count allocation and haven't even come close to reaching your goal, you'll know to go back and start trimming and re-writing like mad. Over time, this should help you to need fewer edits.
If you're not sure what to cut, just ask yourself if it would change the story in any meaningful way if people were to just skip a particular section
_#NEW Dummy Tanks (Weird Tech WWII)
_#NEW Problem about masculinity stereotype (like don't allow to show weakness or crying)
_#NEW Best Fight Scenes: Eastern vs. Western Martial Arts (you should read the comment like this highlight since some are not right, but this still give a good idea for choreography fighting there)
_#NEW 7 Signs You May Not Be Ready for a Relationship
_#NEW Rise of the Lord (For those who like kingdom-building this novel is a definite must-read! The Mc is logical and scheming. the Heroine is cute and powerful, and the struggle is real, the plot it's very plain for the moment but well build, there are emotions with sense and not random just to move forward with the plot, very good characters, The MC is not overpowered, uses brains to solve his problems. MC is the underdog in the fight, but in his case, the brains are a lot more important than pure physical strength or magical.)
_#NEW detail about fight strategy and the "DBZ fight" (found from some reader):
I always found that writers never really found a balance when they try to mix warriors capable of defeating entire armies by themselves and strategy in the same story...they would always start more tactical and slowly but inevitably become more like dbz as the story progressed (ie: i am the monarch, the book eating magician, etc...that is, besides pretty much every xuanhuan story and a fourth of the xianxia ones)
_#NEW 5 Common Street Fight Strategies (and How to BEAT Them!) (this channel show a lot of tricks and tips for fighting)
_#NEW 23 Psychological life hacks
If there are ever any grammatical nuances I'm unsure of, I'll be sure to use your references.
As an aside, I've already begun writing a story on this website. I welcome you to give it a look here: royalroadl.com/fiction/13361/orc-lord
If you spot any noticeable issues, or are just simply enjoying the story, please feel free to drop some comments.
Have a wonderful day. Sincerely, docemoon145.
_about the kingdom part (like plotting,...) part 1:
in this novel chapter (and previous),when the noble of east trying to secret planing to rebel the king because of the action and hear about the new change of system that is oppose the noble (and one part is because it hindering their greedy action),the king (mc) have come here (of course with hiding protection to deal with those who still try to rebel) and explain the benefit and advance of this new system (of course some of them will try to point the disadvantage out ) so not only you will find and deal with the problem you even get more ally,in this case of novel is more than 50% of them stop trying to rebel (since the benefit outweigh the risks and cons here ,so why try rebel if this new system can let you have chance to get even more power and wealth here than when you are a noble) ,if you worrying about that the bad guy can in position that hindering the mc then just let them in a position that make them too busy to compete with each other ,and also find a way to make sure those bad influence is contained and even a way to fish out a talent there (just make a condition/reward that make sure they don't back stab you and woala ,you have a good functional kingdom/organization now) ,if that stilln't enough then just make sure they won't get in a key/important position and you good to go
_about the kingdom part (this one is for the litrpg type ) part 2:
if you read this chapter and the previous ,you will see that you can have one or few player that start with trying to climb the politic power and plotting in order to get more power and maybe finally get opportunity to steal the king throne here,and can be your mc main villain here
in this chapter ,the reason why that monkey monster not stay in they area and begin to move/attack the other area is because the other tribe nearly overhunt them which make those monkey monster scared and run away to make new home in other area
so one conclusion :
I like the fact that the Monkey invasion is not an evil plot by an evil mastermind behind the scenes, but a mistake, it adds realism when every problem has a reason not necessarily world shaking.
btw you should read this novel ,it super good and have very good character developing and quite realistic reaction and her act here (and have good part when it come to do past story and a way she deal with that pain here)
8/18/2017 7:10:24 PM Wrote: [ -> ]8/18/2017 2:55:58 PM Wrote: [ -> ]why was i sent this?
He's randomly sending it to everyone he sees on the forums or on the latest updates list.
I mostly chose the new writer or don't have much experiment in writing (depend on the review of their book or they ask for advise on summary),I still do send to experiment writer sometime though (mostly only 1 or two time since I wasn't try to annoy them)
if you don't want me to continue send material to you then just tell me to stop it (bad thing that I don't have good memory so I may send them again without knowing that they aread told me to stop here)
“To most people I would answer because of all of those lost and because it’s the right thing to do, blah blah, human race and so on,” Dave said. “Honestly I started all of this and I was just swept up in this I was doing it because I was scared, I don’t want to die, no one wants to. I had Deia, imagining me leaving her behind leaving the people I’ve met here behind and being nothing but a footnote in life. It pushed me to do things that I never thought possible, to attain heights that amazed even me. Nothing is a greater motivation than knowing that,” Dave clicked his fingers. “Like that it can all be gone and you have no control over it. Now I’ve known that for a long time, but having someone else deciding when I’m done and pressing a button. That’s something that I couldn’t just sit back and accept. I didn’t know what I was going to do, by everything that I would do, was going to be aimed towards once again putting my life back into my own hands.”
“At first I was doing this all to prolong my life. Then with the people that I came to know it was about getting us all out of this. Then Koi came along,” Dave took a sip of his beer a smile on his face.
“I’ll never forget the look in Deia’s eyes as we looked on Koi, kicking screaming and alive. I didn’t realize how much of an impact that had on me until later. Well, until now really. All of those people lived on Earth, taking shit or being treated a certain way to make them play video games, they grew up, came to Emerilia and were watched by the Jukal as if they were some kind of interesting toy. Their lives didn’t matter and for the people of Emerilia it was even worse. Deia was a player but Koi wasn’t at that time, I felt so protective over her, as I feel with the rest of my party that aren’t players and even with Deia when she was pregnant with Koi. Those smug fucking Jukal they sit in their ships, they watch everything that’s happening and they don’t give a flying fuck. We’re nothing to them. Creatures that can be ignored, the laughingstock of the world. Do you know that they watch our camera feeds at times when we’re with our loved ones, they pollute every moment that we’re not in a mirror of communication or within a stealth rune covered zone. I want my daughter to be free to make her decisions. That was when the true weight of all that the Jukal have done hit me. How many sons and daughters have the Jukal killed how many brothers and sisters like mine have died? And what? All of this just so that they could stay on top of the economic pile. Fuck them and fuck their empire. I might die, I might never see the end of this, but I sure as hell am going to let the Jukal know that those people mattered, that the people of Emerilia matter, that my Daughter matters and that no matter what, even if they look down on us, they should never treat us any differently. My daughter deserves freedom, the sons and daughters of Emerilia deserve freedom to not live in fear of some random event, to know that they’re going to be safe at night. So, why am I doing this? It’s not for some noble reason, it’s because I care for my daughter and the people around me. For them I am willing to do horrible things so that they might live a good life,” Dave said with fire in his eyes as he drank from his beer.
He would take on all comers and not bat an eye, the Jukal had killed off trillions of humans. Dave might not know them and he might not have a connection to them, but any one of those people could have been someone in his family, any of them could have been his daughter.
8/24/2017 2:13:23 PMNotTzx Wrote: [ -> ]Which novel did you send this for? Oo
what do you mean ? ,and this post is for everyone to check out to learn more tips and material
[Fun fact: The Dwarves territory is inside the mountains that stretch around most of the continent. Most of their major cities are placed near volcanoes to utilize the geothermal energy. So there's a saying in the world: "A Dragon above and a Dwarf below."
Sometimes it's used as an insult for someone who's all bark and no bite--or, depending on the context, to declare a man with authority or a good appearance to be lacking a little lower down.]
(comment for this novel chapter)
the little bits of culture and unique insults really make this a world. Right now I'm reading a series called Red Rising and in it everyone is divided into color coded castes. The pink caste are basically sex slaves. Thus it is an insult to call someone " as timid as a pink". Bits of flavor like that are what makes a different world, really a different world. It separates the ok, lazy authors, from the great ones
(the above is from this novel chapter : https://royalroadl.com/fiction/13361/orc-lord/chapter/158649/72-traveling-west?page=1 )
I'm pretty sure some of you have heard of the saying "Everyone lives under the same sky, yet not everyone sees the same sky."
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is about perspectives.
You should check out this link,he give a good ideal about "perspectives" here (a problem that is he will delete this post in a few day so I copy the important part bellow)
How does one(me) take advice from someone who does not even see the same story as you(me)? There is a difference between listening to criticism that's actually related to the story and listening to those who straight out has a different perspective in the story different than what you are trying to convey or just don't like the theme/genre.
I'll give you an example. Let's say someone 'reads' my novel and thinks I'm writing it with the intent to degrade females and sexualize them. Now even though such intent has never crossed my mind when I write, some people truly think I do. Maybe I could've written something that may seem like it without realizing it? Maybe. But how do I change something that has never crossed my mind before?
Some people think I do not care about criticism and ignore anyone who gives a bad review by calling them trolls/haters. Now I don't recall ever calling bad reviews/comments trolls/haters(mostly my readers calls them that), I also don't 'not care' about criticism.
Now, this is where it gets complicated. How do I listen to somebody that has an entirely different perspective of the novel than what I, the author, is trying to convey? I make tea, yet some think it tastes like black coffee. I can't make tea turn into tea because that was what I made in the first place. In other words, I can't change what I don't see. People will believe what they see and think is right, and I cannot change that.
However, with all that said, what I can do is tell you my perspective when writing this novel. Things such as how I feel or what I think when writing this novel.
First, the story. I wanted a story about someone strong, someone who has real power, someone like the Son of the King of Gods to just travel around the World and see/experience new things. It is as simple as that. Nothing too crazy or too serious.
Second, the characters. I will say that I love every character I have created so far(except the ones I kill off just cause). Some may not like them, and some may even hate them. But I, as the author, know what they feel and why they do the things they do when I write them. Emotions/feeling of a character is something that is hard to convey to the readers, especially through texts.(Especially with my style of writing because I do not like to show everything about a character in one go) Now even if it does happen and some of my readers happen to see what I am trying to convey, it will not be the same way as I see it. So if you happen to hate a character, sorry, but I can't change the way I see them.
Now the main character, Tian Yi. I will say this straightforward. HE IS MEANT TO BE EXAGGERATED. I want him to be a 'so perfect he's beyond perfect' character in MY perspective. Call this a wish-fulfillment all you want, because that is true. I want the World to revolve around him. I want girls to chase him around like crazily. I want someone THAT perfect.
As for the more mature parts, I.E masturbation, and full nude seduction, I think it is something normal. People masturbate to what makes their blood boil, and that is no different in my Xianxia World. I'm a healthy young man, and I won't deny it as if I was a little kid. People masturbate, and it's normal. I also know that not everybody here is an adult, which is why I try to keep it minimal. Also, I wanted you, the readers, to know that THERE WILL BE MATURE contents here. I won't pull what some real Chinese novels pull. I.E Main character fucks a girl out of nowhere even though there have been no prior mature contents, making the readers go, 'what?'. And yes, the MC will fuck someone one day. However, I don't think I want to take away that pure part of him just yet... (Some may be fan service, but it is still something I enjoy)
As for how the plot goes? I have no idea what to tell you because I just write what goes with the flow. (I have to enjoy it obviously). I rarely erase much during writing because I don't write thinking 'Hmmm, will my readers enjoy this...?'. Instead, I write what I enjoy, which is something many don't do. The only reason why I'm even here is because I enjoy what I do. (Also how I am able to throw out 4-6k words a day.)
All in all, I love every single second I had spent and will continue spending on this novel. I have a smile on my face as soon as I start typing. It's just that fun and enjoyable to me.
and for a good reference when it come to the ideal of sci-fi survive crafting game then this maybe the one you are looking for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luu5Rrc140o (still in beta)
and here is one very damn good sci-fi vs fantasy novel here (it have real time strategy element like starcraft a bit),too bad it have been dropped
Pioneer 0: Rise of the machine in a world of sword and magic.
These characters get special cheat abilities, or they continually luck into the most awesome loot ever despite their luck stat. The plot armor is so thick that you wonder if you can use it to build a wall. That sort of thing super overpowered, can do anything, protagonist.
I shall call this Team Snowflake (Because snowflakes are beautiful and unique)
Other people vastly prefer the MC only be able to get abilities that anyone else could get if they wanted, and then use those to rock the house.
I shall call this Team Atlas. (for Atlas Superpower, all you need is training and you too can be exactly like this.)
here is the link for the further topic ,it very interesting if any of you writing a LitRPG story
I need the help.
1. Try to be descriptive enough for readers to understand, but not too much to overwhelm. Let their imagination do the rest of the work.
2. Avoid using the same word over and over if possible. I use Grammarly to fix this since double clicking a word gives a list of words with the same meaning. This helps with the flow.
3. Try to make the characters do slightly different things, but not too different as to make it seem awkward. This helps add several dimensions to the characters, granting them life.
4. Make sure paragraphs aren't too long to avoid losing readers interests, creating skimmers.
5. If using tables, be detailed and clean. Choppy tables are worse than no tables.
6. Never purposefully extend a scene or arc. This is easy to notice, so end a sentence, paragraph, scene, chapter, arc, book, story, when it feels right.
7.Try to write roughly 1.5k words per chapter (this is my own guideline, no need to follow this. But no less that 1k per chapter or readers will start complaining).
8. Always follow schedules. A bad rep is the last thing you want, be that for never keeping deadlines, being rude to a reader (regardless of if they were rude first) or anything that would damage your image.
9. Have fun while writing. If you lose interest and start dreading writing, readers are perceptive and will feel the life's absence from the story, so take a break to get your mojo back.
10. Listen to all criticism, no matter how mean or hurtful it is. They might just be right to some extent.
11. Be consistent. Keep a separate page of character profiles and locations, dates, abilities, whatever, if you struggle to keep track of this. Being inconsistent is very, very immersion breaking.
12. Good spelling. Spelling matters more than grammar. Most people here can forgive poor grammar, but bad spelling is a no-no.
I try to follow these rules as best as I can, sometimes I mess up, but it's a decent guideline. I'm no expert, so follow these rules at your own risk.
Oh, also, if you're after a popular novel, just copy the genre of already popular novels but make it your own. Like this story follows the same premise as Infinity Tower, Master Hunter K, God Devil World(although the author abandoned his whole safe town/market idea for some reason) etc, but as you can see, I've made it unique to me and it isn't a carbon copy.
I hope that helped.
I copy and paste my tables from templates that I made, so tables are simple enough. The only annoyance is splitting and merging cells.
I'd suggest to just write. Get a foundation to work from. No matter how bad it is, or good, I don't know your talent. Try to find a style for yourself, a format you can use regardless of what you're writing about. Be consistent though, try to not cut points of view too much, stay focused. Hrmm, I'm bad at explaining stuff. Oh, listen to criticism. You can always improve no matter how bad or good you are at it. That applies to all aspects of life.
if this isn't enough for you then this will give advise for Prologue part here:
Good and evil are social constructs. Good is acting in a way which is beneficial to the society, while evil is acting in a harmful way. Simple as that. You are more likely to be good when your needs closely correlate with the need of everyone else around you. Evil is committing an act which serves your goal at the expense of the social benefit. If we were individualistic apes in the wild with no need of a social grouping then the ideas of good and evil would not exist.
here is a link to the post that discussing about this topic deeper (try to check other comment,some of them are very good):
and if you want a simple but detail enough about good & evil then this "lawful,neutral,chaos" can help you show that
fun fact :even if he/she is a Lawful Evil doesn't mean he/she will completely Opposition or harmful to you ,if they can satisfy some of their agenda/need just by joint/help you then they can be a good ally for you here (so I can say that there are still some "good" Lawful Evil among Lawful Evil,same for other type of evil alignment and the same for opposite alignment )
[NEW] _Feedback from nubdog about this, and a good one there: I bet you would say its ok to bully someone if everyone around you says its okay if that was defined as correlating with the need of everyone else around you , and in another case if helping an outsider not from your company would make your company lose money since your company is trying to legally force something out of the outsider's hand for their profit using gray law areas you would be defined as evil since serves your own goal at the expense of the social benefit.
Use your brain a little and think for yourself, society is not perfect. You make it sound as if that if they are for you/society they are good and if they are against you/society they are evil , this is pretty much the most self serving definition of good and evil which is made for the sole purpose or being convenient for yourself/society , similar to how in wartime the enemies are of course defined as evil and your own country as good, but is that truly so ? No that's just a complete farce to justify themselves.
I can choose to help someone being oppressed by you and your company regardless of whether it is harmful to you/society personally and while you probably deem me as evil at that point since I went against you/ society, that would be defined as true good.
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the swap to the evil enemy's point of view where they are plotting and explaining everything with Crystal clarity to the reader. Such a writing trick is somewhere between too easy and too lazy. You can convey the same information overtime and/or merely through the behavior of all the characters as they slaughter their way through the MC's city and various characters perhaps identify aspects of their origin, magic/sword/movement style, features / equipment, speech/accent, etc. Whatever is not clear from the attack itself will soon become clear after the attack and/or with some investigation from the MC himself. So there's no reason to jump in and lay out everything before you describe it in future chapters.
This lesson falls into the category of show don't tell. You told me all about what the baddies are doing. But you could have skipped all of it and achieved 70% or 80% understanding via other smoother and less heavy handed methods. Sure, at some point the evil child may need to say "now that I have pulled ahead of my foolish brothers of the X, Y, Z clans, I can do X" Insert evil laughter here...or some elder friend of the MC may need to pass on the news that X,Y,Z were scrambling for power to show off to C and your family got shafted as a trophy.
Third person :
Generally, a story is more easy to write in third person because you describe what you imagine directly. You don't need to always think at how your MC see the world around him. Moreover, this give you a lot more liberty in what you want the reader to know. You can tell him thing that your MC doesn't know without stopping the flow of your story with "infodump/POV" chapter about character or your world.
Example : John gave her the roses. After staring blankly for one minute to all these flower, she started to cry and run away. These rose made her remember the last time she has seen her mother... before killing her. He was so surprised that he didn't even think to follow her....
See, you can easily drop a little background story about a side character. So, the reader will have a better understanding of all character and situation Vs the MC.
First person :
- More easy to give depth to your MC and to create a connection between him and your reader. We see what he sees and we feel what he feels.
Example : I gave the roses to my crush. After one minute of a long and weird silence, she cry and run ?! Why ? I was so surprised that I didn't even think to follow her...
Then you know more about the MC feeling/interpretation of this event VS the third person version of my little story BUT the reader doesn't know why the girl cry and run.
personal opinion : if your next story is about a OP character or principally a one-man show. The first person form is generally better. If not, I advise you third person if you want to develop other character easily (as you seem to like).