RE: To writers: What motivates you to write and to keep writing?

I posted my first few chapters recently simply to get feedback - As my first time writing ANYTHING besides forum posts, I couldn't progress until I knew if what I was writing was trash-tier or not.

However, as someone with anxiety, I would have done it a little differently in hindsight. Perhaps a small private release for a few people on the forums, etc.

As for why I started writing after so long? I was reading a bunch of novels recently. Quite suddenly, complete paragraphs started forming in my head, to the point where I couldn't concentrate on anything else. I think I sat there for 2 hours, staring blankly at the same page of the novel.

So yeah, without such a sudden, strong compulsion to write, I probably wouldn't have ever started.

For me, writing is such a habit now that I can't really imagine life without it. I think that's they key- that you have to write whether you want to or not, until it just becomes a part of your day.

The best way I found to do this is to write multiple stories at the same time. If you get stuck or tired of one, switch off, but keep moving forward on all of them. Have them be different difficulty levels and use different parts of your brain so that you are always in the mood for one.

For instance, I write fantasy, sci fi, and horror- no matter how I feel, I should be able to contribute to a story in one of those genres. Happy? Fantasy. Dark? Horror. Technical? Sci fi. Just keep writing, strive for every day, keep moving forward.

Good luck!!

Leo

To be honest, when you get fans - one of the biggest things that keep people writing, are those fans. Sure most people start off because of a passion or an idea, but eventually writing becomes something that is required to appeal to the masses.

I'm speaking from the perspective of game design, but it should be relatively similar in any creative field such as writing. People just want more, and it turns into a job.

I'm not being all doom and gloomy here, or saying you should be abstract and ignore your audience to keep writing fun, after all who doesn't want to turn what they love into a job? That's probably why most of us started writing anyways!

At this point, I think it's not something I decide to do. I'd need to decide not to write. Once upon a time, I was told I was good at it. So I kept at it. Now, whether it's fiction or nonfiction, I think I'd feel odd not to be honing my voice every day. The way you describe and explain your thoughts, in your own words, is a kind of self-exploratory thing. We don't know what we think, often, until we've spoken.

So writing, for me, is part of what's probably my foundation and drive. Perhaps if I were busier it would fall by the wayside. But I know I'd always be communicating and exploring my ideas. Because that's how we order ourselves.

So if I were to twist that into some kind of motivational, It'd be to write to know what you think. And keep writing so as not to be a huge loser.

For me it's multiple reasons to write.

At first it was writing things that I wanted to read. When I read some stories, I wished some things would go the way I want them to go but I'm not the writer. Or tried to find stories that suited my preferences. If they was no such story - write them.

Second was getting rid of myself of boredom. I felt I was wasting my time idling - precious time not doing something productive.

I posted my first story Death Incarnate to test my writing abilities and hopefully build a fan base.

My other reason was my goal to self-published.

What keeps me writing was to finished, especially if it was published. There were some novels translated or written online just stopped continuing. I do not want to be like that.

Also, it feels great to receive positive comments and interact with the readers. It just makes me feel glad that I 'm writing this and it propels me to continue.

When I was a kid, and even now, I absolutely loved reading fantasy fiction. As i grew older I couldn't help but think of various scenarios, my own characters, world etc.. and really that's what motivated me to start writing.

Though I've only started very recently I'd guess that it would be the people who read what I write. I did a trial run of a chapter with a family member and the result was really positive, that made me happy and want to keep trying.

02/05/2017 10:53:13Adsterhappy Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, as the title mentions it, what motivated you to first post your writing out into the world? Was it to show off? Was it to leave your mark in the world? To give others a pleasant smile?

Secondly, what motivates you to keep writing? What sort of madness overcomes you to go in front of your computer to type and neglect your sleep? It seems redundant to ask this question, but hey, maybe you have different answer to this.

The main motivation for writing for me has always been to free an idea of my brain. It sounds a bit dramatic, but I have so many stories I want to tell, and I just need the words to tell them. That's my motivation to write, and it always was. To get something new, something of my own, out there. To look and see that someone else enjoyed the setting or characters of fantasy of it as much as I did when it was just brainstorming.
For the second, it's most what doesn't motivate me. I'm motivated on my own, but that goes away if there's just no response. The only thing more likely to stagnate a serial story is zero feedback. I've always hoped for some sort of critique or praise, less for my ego, but more for the meter of where the story is. Is it as interesting as I thought it was? Is my writing failing the setting, or vice-versa? The internet is instant, which makes it just a little bit more painful.
Does it feel like this to everyone else, or is it just me? I mean, I'd gladly take someone trolling or bashing my story, because it would mean they cared enough to do it. It's something other than apathy, no matter how negative.

I'm a millennial who needs short time goals to feel that sweet sweet validation of having gotten something done, and writing short stories is perfect for that.

On more serious note though, I really love my OCs and can never shut up about them so writing about them is something I enjoy doing as it is. It's also a nice way for people to get more familiar with my large cast of characters from different stories and that motivates me to keep on writing even if not all that many read my stuff (as most people know me mainly as an artist rather than a writer).