RE: The Dreaded 0.5 Star

Since, apparently, we're talking about Amazon now, I'll chime in with a quick word.
We are aware that Kindle allows a 10% preview of works on other platforms, and have decided that it is in our readers' best interest to enforce that. So any fiction that goes from RRL from Amazon will be removed within two weeks if it does not contain the up-to-10% preview.

Any review in itself that concerns this (ie. a .5 review solely for lack of complete work on RRL) is against our rules and will be removed, of course, if you report it.

Ultimately, we take on these situations on a case by case basis, and any author is free to submit a support ticket to the staff if they have questions regarding this policy.

11/12/2017 8:32:17 AMNecamijat Wrote: [ -> ]Since, apparently, we're talking about Amazon now, I'll chime in with a quick word.
We are aware that Kindle allows a 10% preview of works on other platforms, and have decided that it is in our readers' best interest to enforce that. So any fiction that goes from RRL from Amazon will be removed within two weeks if it does not contain the up-to-10% preview.

Any review in itself that concerns this (ie. a .5 review solely for lack of complete work on RRL) is against our rules and will be removed, of course, if you report it.

Ultimately, we take on these situations on a case by case basis, and any author is free to submit a support ticket to the staff if they have questions regarding this policy.

Thanks. Still waiting for official word from Amazon. Sent them an email. Don't want to be burned like some authors who went through the experience.

Still no reply from Amazon. Went through the conditions again. Can't find the 10% allowance. Must be my near-sighted eyes. But the exclusivity condition is quite clear -

1 Exclusivity. When you include a Digital Book in KDP Select, you give us the exclusive right to sell and distribute your Digital Book in digital format while your book is in KDP Select. During this period of exclusivity, you cannot sell or distribute, or give anyone else the right to sell or distribute, your Digital Book (or a book that is substantially similar), in digital format in any territory where you have rights.

UPDATE: Finally got an email from the Amazon KDPS Program. They allow the posting of samples for promotional purposes but the length should be less or equal to the preview available on the Amazon home page of a book. At least, I got a confirmation email. Better safe than sorry. Reposting some materials for my Book One within the constraints set out by them. FYI and thanks!

8/19/2017 3:42:47 AMsinkingship Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you generally, mostly because I feel a story worth .5 stars doesn't really exist. 0.5 is literally the lowest possible rating, it's like saying 'a blank sheet of paper is preferable to this', and I don't believe something *that bad* actually exists. Having something published in the first place represents a fair amount of effort on the part of the author, an amount of effort that is worth more than 0.5 stars in my opinion.
0.5 stars is as much saying that a blank sheet of paper is preferable to this as giving 5 stars is saying it is the greatest work in existence. That's to say, it isn't.
The problem with giving from half a star up to 5 is that it has little meaning in individual cases. Maybe not for the author as (s)he can see that singular 0.5 star, but for the total rating it isn't much different from 1 star. For example, if I think a 4-star rated story isn't that good (more like 3 stars), I can give it a 0.5 star, 1 star or a different rating below those 4 stars. The effect of my rating is that the overal rating will drop to say 3.965 or 3.97 or 3.975, given enough ratings. So in the end the difference between 0.5 and 1.5 ain't all that big. It's just that 0.5 stars will drop the rating slightly further and closer to the 3 stars I think it's actually worth, which would be a reason to vote 0.5 stars.
Of course, according to this logic, new stories with few ratings will drop drastically, but which isn't all that bad seeing as how many many many stories have average ratings above 4 stars, meaning there not much possibility to differentiate between them, which kinda beats the purpose of the whole star-system.
In my opinion, an up/down voting system would work much better. You'd still get an average rating with which to compare stories and there's more spread in scores.

Do note that none of this applies to the advanced reviews. Since they stand by themselves, they can provide more nuance as to why the specific rating and the 3.5 star actually has meaning compared to 3 or 4 stars since there's actual text to support this choice. The up/down voting system might also incentivise people to write advanced reviews if they want this nuance in their vote (though that is just a guess on my part).