The Librarians

Hey, so I wanted to create a new group called, you guessed it 'The Librarians'. I have no idea how creating groups works in RRL. So I just decided to create a general thread for the group. If there are enough members who want to join, I'll try to make it official. That said, without further ado, let me get to what this group will be about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written." - Oscar Wilde

We are the connoiseurs of stories, the gourmets of literature. As others get high on drugs, sex, physical activity, so do we reach ecstasy through reading. Through a good story we achieve Nirvana. We are at our best when we're reading a good book. 

This is intended to be a gourmet club, all we require from our members, is to be a good judge of literature{they generally should have very high standards(whether or not prospective members qualify is left to their own discretion as this is inherently subjective)}, wine and dine on stories the way others do on fine cuisine, and to understand the gourmet aesthetic. We 'eat' only the finest of stories.

Application for membership will be OPEN. Whether or not prospective members 'qualify' will be left to their own discretion. We are NOT here to create a snob club, neither do we aim to generate negative sentiments.

There will be regulations which shall be decided upon later.

The activities we'll carry out, will include rating and reviewing novels, recommending literature for our members(on RRL and elsewhere) and other group stuff. The most important activity however, will be to maintain a list of truly 'well written' novels on RRL. This list will be called 'The Library'. Any member can nominate any work to the list, A poll would be held, and if the book recieves a high enough rating, it'll be added.

Furthermore, I plan to create a spreadsheet/database, of all the member submitted ratings for the different stories on RRL. That way, other members can easily see the ratings for stories and who rated what.

Gimme feedback.

RE: The Librarians

I like the idea, and would love to participate in such a group. That said, a few things do stand out to me in your proposal.

First, RRL is a place for amateur and indie authors to post their work. I would hardly consider anything here to be a literary masterpiece, and presenting a list as such seems a little silly in my opinion. The emphasis on elitism will come across as superfluous, if not disingenuous, to most outside observers. Rather than calling the works 'masterpieces', saying something like 'Best of RRL' is better suited for the community's culture.

Next, creative writing is an art; any evaluation of art inherently carries the subjective opinion of those conducting the evaluations. From my own experience, judges will each have their own opinions and points of emphasis when rating a story. For example, I noticed that you state 'grammar Nazis welcome' when raising the issue of quality. However, my own opinion is that grammar is a secondary criterion of evaluating the quality of a fiction, so long as grammar issues do not disrupt my flow of reading. 'High standards' is a nebulous, qualitative a term open to interpretation. By what standards will the group judge when it comes to fictions included in the list?

When the proposed group shifts to an 'invitation only' model, on what basis will new members be chosen? For readers, there aren't many avenues on RRL by which one can express their 'tastes' so to speak, and restricting membership to invitation only can result in well qualified, interested, community members being excluded by their anonymity alone.

Tying this in with the earlier point, are all members expected to share your tastes? Or can members expect debate and disagreements in what fictions qualify for the list? On one extreme, the group risks becoming an 'echo chamber', where conflicting opinions become suppressed and the prevailing opinion becomes detrimental to maintaining a useful list. On the other extreme, disagreements between members can lead to community drama and force the breakup of the group. How do you plan to balance these?

On a side note:
Spoiler :
10/24/2016 15:16:38Dragon God Wrote: [ -> ]We 'eat' only th finest of stories.

You might want to fix this sentence if you intend to present yourself as elitist. :P

Let me just stop you right there.

No group whose main purpose is to be "elitist" will ever get approved.

You are free to list your favourites in the Recommendations thread, and do so collaboratively with other users if you wish, but that is not the purpose of our groups.

Our groups are intended as inclusive places where users gather together with common goals or interests in order to encourage each other to improve and create.

RRL has already had enough trouble with groups rejecting membership applications and causing ill feelings among the community. We have no interest in allowing a group whose sole purpose would be to do this.

10/24/2016 16:35:40ResonantIce Wrote: [ -> ]I like the idea, and would love to participate in such a group. That said, a few things do stand out to me in your proposal.

First, RRL is a place for amateur and indie authors to post their work. I would hardly consider anything here to be a literary masterpiece, and presenting a list as such seems a little silly in my opinion. The emphasis on elitism will come across as superfluous, if not disingenuous, to most outside observers. Rather than calling the works 'masterpieces', saying something like 'Best of RRL' is better suited for the community's culture.

Next, creative writing is an art; any evaluation of art inherently carries the subjective opinion of those conducting the evaluations. From my own experience, judges will each have their own opinions and points of emphasis when rating a story. For example, I noticed that you state 'grammar Nazis welcome' when raising the issue of quality. However, my own opinion is that grammar is a secondary criterion of evaluating the quality of a fiction, so long as grammar issues do not disrupt my flow of reading. 'High standards' is a nebulous, qualitative a term open to interpretation. By what standards will the group judge when it comes to fictions included in the list?

When the proposed group shifts to an 'invitation only' model, on what basis will new members be chosen? For readers, there aren't many avenues on RRL by which one can express their 'tastes' so to speak, and restricting membership to invitation only can result in well qualified, interested, community members being excluded by their anonymity alone.

Tying this in with the earlier point, are all members expected to share your tastes? Or can members expect debate and disagreements in what fictions qualify for the list? On one extreme, the group risks becoming an 'echo chamber', where conflicting opinions become suppressed and the prevailing opinion becomes detrimental to maintaining a useful list. On the other extreme, disagreements between members can lead to community drama and force the breakup of the group. How do you plan to balance these?

On a side note:
Spoiler :
10/24/2016 15:16:38Dragon God Wrote: [ -> ]We 'eat' only th finest of stories.

You might want to fix this sentence if you intend to present yourself as elitist. :P

Thanks for the spoiler. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. I dont expect members to have the same tastes as me, and encourage open discussion. The only real requirement, is that I want members to have 'high standards' (again subjective); hence the "grammar Nazis" comment. 

At your comment and Unice's complaint, I think I'll remove the 'invitation only' requirement. Membership will be open.

I only wish to create a gourmet club for readers. I'll leave it to the discretion of RRL members whether they 'qualify'(i.e are gourmet readers)

For the lists, polls would be carried out to ger members ratings on nominated works. The average rating will be used for the list.

I inrend for there to be group regulations. We can sort this out after we get members though. 

Let's see if we garner enough interest. Wink

I'm happy a top writer expressed interest in my humble project. Help spread the word?

10/25/2016 02:53:13unice5656 Wrote: [ -> ]Let me just stop you right there.

No group whose main purpose is to be "elitist" will ever get approved.

You are free to list your favourites in the Recommendations thread, and do so collaboratively with other users if you wish, but that is not the purpose of our groups.

Our groups are intended as inclusive places where users gather together with common goals or interests in order to encourage each other to improve and create.

RRL has already had enough trouble with groups rejecting membership applications and causing ill feelings among the community. We have no interest in allowing a group whose sole purpose would be to do this.

I've changed the OP to address your concerns.
As for what you said about groups, I intend for 'The Librarians', to be a place for  like minded  users gather together to discuss, help one another, improve the reading experience of members and just let them have fun. 

I've decided to make it open.