Members, attempt review by Oct 10th for Tidal Lock

Here's the fiction link

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/3892

Here are questions to consider or attempt to fill out.

Spoiler :

If at any point you stop reading this fiction, cite why here:

Provide a brief impression of the blurb on the fiction page:

Provide a brief impression of just the first chapter (Or first 2-3 if they are extremely short):

If you reached the end willingly, what were unanswered issues do you recall:

If the story follows a main character, tell us what stood out about them:

What about this story feels stereotypical or trope filled to you:

What about the writing style did you enjoy? Provide specifics:

What about the writing style did you dislike? Provide specifics:

Were they any lines that amused you for any reason? Cite them below:

What about the setting bothered you? Be specific:

Tell us the most attractive thing about this story to you:

It is expected that each member do what they can and nothing more. If your desire is to tear apart the fiction for flaws, do so. If you are unable to read it because of the cover or blurb, say so. Provide feedback on any and everything you find yourself willing to suffer through.

Members are NOT to post actual reviews to the fictions at hand, please provide commentary within this thread.

Thank you.

RE: Members, attempt review by Oct 3rd for Tidal Lock

I guess I'll start off this late ass thing.

First thoughts on blurb, cover, and first chapter.

For an interstellar VR novel, a cover of a moon doesn't hit me right. To me, the moon represents a more ancient tribal feel. Like some tattoos or signs depicting a crescent moon. A space story with a moon doesn't work much considering how weak the moon, a satellite, is when compared to the many planets of the Solar System. Even an asteroid, with all its rich resources, would have been a better representative depending on the details of the story.

Blurb is thick and long. For the most part, I'm expecting a good story to not touch on the details of the first paragraph, while the second and third are fine. A bad story would throw the MC against those space companies and ruin the story.

First chapter was... confusing. Thrown into the midst of some interstellar PVP, the mess of jargons joggled my brain and made me slightly reconsider whether I wanted to read a story with so much space junk. I guess you could say this chapter would see whether you like the genre or not.

I'm tired. I'll start reading more later.

I will mention this tory doesn't really have much of a MC to follow. There's a lot of little side characters.

I'll also note here that I don't like how it's presented - but the content itself is kind of neat. There's a lot of talk about how the future with VR bodies is and the storyline tries to bring that back to a 'school setting' - which gets really weird to read. It's almost too far out.

I'm gonna stop early. I skimmed ahead a few chapters just to see what it was like, but it's kind of an overwhelming webfiction. Overwhelming in how much dialogue was packed inside it. While dialogue isn't necessarily a bad thing, Tidal Lock is dialogue heavy. It doesn't help that we're supposed to try and keep up with 4 or 6 characters in each scene. I mean, dialogue heavy + many characters isn't a good combo.

There wasn't much to interest me into reading it. The characters didn't really pull me in, and the first three or four chapters were devoted a fight scene that wasn't actually described. There really isn't a plot. And the game world has a very steep learning curve.

The main reason I even tried to read this one was because of the size and other peoples rave reviews. It's part of the LitRPG group and a lot of people seemed to find it to be awesome.

I didn't really. I read through it all in the course of a day and the content that you get - the impression you get - doesn't really change at any point.

The idea of a space video game is always kind of intersting to see people try - but for some reason it never feels interesting. I can't even remember anything remarkable about the characters aside from two. One's a newbie who's apparently good at catching on, and the other is a person who's like 5th on the server in terms of piloting skill.

They spend a lot of time talking about how good a group they are - and the series basically focuses on them growing as a clan onto more and more fame - instead of just being a bunch of PvP junkies.

The main reason I even tried to read this one was because of the size and other peoples rave reviews. It's part of the LitRPG group and a lot of people seemed to find it to be awesome.

I didn't really. I read through it all in the course of a day and the content that you get - the impression you get - doesn't really change at any point.

The idea of a space video game is always kind of intersting to see people try - but for some reason it never feels interesting. I can't even remember anything remarkable about the characters aside from two. One's a newbie who's apparently good at catching on, and the other is a person who's like 5th on the server in terms of piloting skill.

They spend a lot of time talking about how good a group they are - and the series basically focuses on them growing as a clan onto more and more fame - instead of just being a bunch of PvP junkies.