Introduction to Night School
Welcome to Uni-bot's Writing Academy! Here, we strive to give people supplementary lessons to boost their writing to the next level.
We at this writing academy understand that people lead busy lives and may not be able to attend classes on a regular basis. Therefore, we have designed our lessons to be modular; they can be completed in any order and hopefully, will independently help you improve your writing.
How it works
- Each week, Uni-bot will pick a topic and assign a writing prompt
- People who wish to participate will write a short piece (maximum 500 words) based on the writing prompt
- Uni-bot will provide a short critique of each piece. The default will be a reply in these forums, but you can request critique via PM as well
- If the participant is open to it, other participants can also offer critiques of each other's pieces
- People can participate in lessons and receive critique for previous weeks' assigned topics (you do not miss out on lessons if you come late to this forum or miss a week)
- New lessons will be posted on Fridays (depending on your time zone, it may be Saturday morning)
- Lessons can be completed in any order
- It is strongly recommended that you wait for feedback on one lesson before starting another one. This maximizes the amount of growth and feedback you get by doing the lessons.
How to participate
- If you are planning to only do one or a few of the lessons, post your piece directly in the thread of the lesson you are participating in. If you do not specify otherwise, we will assume you wish your critique to be posted on that thread and that you are open to receiving critique from people other than Uni-bot
- If you are planning to participate in many of the lessons and wish for your pieces and critique to be grouped together, start a thread in this forum titled "[Your username]'s desk". When you post your pieces, indicate which lesson you are writing about. If you do not specify otherwise, we will assume you wish your critique to be posted on that thread and that you are open to receiving critique from people other than Uni-bot
- If you've participated in a few lessons and wish to make a "desk" thread, we can move your previous posts and critique for you
Disclaimer: Uni-bot has no official credentials in writing. Her critique is solely her opinion based on her experience, and you are free to disagree with or ignore it.
If you have any questions about how this process works, post here and we will get back to you as soon as possible.