RE: ISSTH Fanfiction Contest

Judging by community votes sounds questionable when 15 stories will be put out for each category. While I doubt someone will try to game the system, my real concern is something else. I'm not sure the community can judge it properly. It sounds like few readers here enjoy Xianxia for one, and this contest is hosted on royalroad. There's already a disconnect. Then of course there's reader fatigue. Who's to say everyone will read each story when there's a total of 30 to sift through? Maybe they'll just vote for the one on top, which got there by blind luck. And of course what counts as quality is a real low bar at times.

Judging should be kept in-house in my opinion, with winners chosen by the hosts. The other 12 can be shown as runner-ups for readers to enjoy. Though judges may not be impartial either, I'd bet on them over hundreds of nameless faces.  Even just cutting the top 15 to top 5 would help keep the votes from deviating too much. I think the end result would be much cleaner (and less bitter) in the end for entrants not knowing how (un)popular their story was.

04/24/2016 15:44:58kayemel Wrote: [ -> ]Judging by community votes sounds questionable when 15 stories will be put out for each category. While I doubt someone will try to game the system, my real concern is something else. I'm not sure the community can judge it properly. It sounds like few readers here enjoy Xianxia for one, and this contest is hosted on royalroad. There's already a disconnect. Then of course there's reader fatigue. Who's to say everyone will read each story when there's a total of 30 to sift through? Maybe they'll just vote for the one on top, which got there by blind luck. And of course what counts as quality is a real low bar at times.

Judging should be kept in-house in my opinion, with winners chosen by the hosts. The other 12 can be shown as runner-ups for readers to enjoy. Though judges may not be impartial either, I'd bet on them over hundreds of nameless faces.  Even just cutting the top 15 to top 5 would help keep the votes from deviating too much. I think the end result would be much cleaner (and less bitter) in the end for entrants not knowing how (un)popular their story was.

Makes sense. Top 5 is probably a better choice; we will consider it.

04/24/2016 16:53:24Durrendal Wrote: [ -> ]That aside, opening votes to readers is questionable in first place. A popular and well established author in this site can easily brigade votes by just a hint. Why not make it just a judge decision?

That is something we wanted to avoid as that might make us ourselves look partial. And voting would be open and announced on WuxiaWorld too.

04/24/2016 20:22:48kanadaj Wrote: [ -> ]
04/24/2016 16:53:24Durrendal Wrote: [ -> ]That aside, opening votes to readers is questionable in first place. A popular and well established author in this site can easily brigade votes by just a hint. Why not make it just a judge decision?

That is something we wanted to avoid as that might make us ourselves look partial. And voting would be open and announced on WuxiaWorld too.

I'd say that is like putting the cart before the horse. Remember, this time money is involved, so foul pay will be more. And not saying that they will but, the same thing applies for WW people. What is stopping one of their members from writing a story and asking others from their site to vote it? 

Eh, every competition has judges. No one would think you guys as partial.

Glad you're considering reducing the number. 30x5 is 150,000 words at the absolute minimum, which is the size of a lengthier novel. Even reading 10 stories is a huge time-sink, and since the writing here errs on the side of lighter reading, it's a daunting task to ask the community to read so much. This is a step in the right direction, although I still believe judging should be done by RR/WuxiaWorld alone.

WW polls have pretty good turnouts. As for fixing the vote over there, I just dont think its likely. They had the Art ISSTH over there for money and I more or less agreed with the winners and runners up. Unless you have a thousand plus friends over there I dont see how you can manipulate the vote. Ive been reading my Xianxia over there for a long time due to Coiling Dragon. The community is pretty random in my opinion. No large clicks to speak of. Just my two cents.

04/25/2016 05:18:05IronQuill Wrote: [ -> ]WW polls have pretty good turnouts. As for fixing the vote over there, I just dont think its likely. They had the Art ISSTH over there for money and I more or less agreed with the winners and runners up. Unless you have a thousand plus friends over there I dont see how you can manipulate the vote. Ive been reading my Xianxia over there for a long time due to Coiling Dragon. The community is pretty random in my opinion. No large clicks to speak of. Just my two cents.

I second that. Been lurking around WW for as long as I've been lurking around rrl (that's the early lms days btw) and I doubt anyone in either community is likely to game the system intentionally but I agree with Durendall, established authors will get more votes regardless of whether they actively 'game' the system, simply because they're more well known and have a larger reader base.

04/29/2016 09:45:11REWRITE Wrote: [ -> ]
04/25/2016 05:18:05IronQuill Wrote: [ -> ]WW polls have pretty good turnouts. As for fixing the vote over there, I just dont think its likely. They had the Art ISSTH over there for money and I more or less agreed with the winners and runners up. Unless you have a thousand plus friends over there I dont see how you can manipulate the vote. Ive been reading my Xianxia over there for a long time due to Coiling Dragon. The community is pretty random in my opinion. No large clicks to speak of. Just my two cents.

I second that. Been lurking around WW for as long as I've been lurking around rrl (that's the early lms days btw) and I doubt anyone in either community is likely to game the system intentionally but I agree with Durendall, established authors will get more votes regardless of whether they actively 'game' the system, simply because they're more well known and have a larger reader base.

That's one of the reasons why we will do the first round ourselves. We want to leave the final decision to the communities, but we will select the eligible set of works.

I'm currently considering lowering the 2nd round's entry count from 15 per category to 5 or 6 to make things easier.

But I also think xianxia (and especially WW and the forums where He-man translated stellar transformations) provided a really important push for web fiction in general, which is something the entire community has benefited from. If we can expose our work to more people with a collab like this, I don't think it should be a problem, regardless of whether you're even planning to compete or not.

04/29/2016 09:48:51kanadaj Wrote: [ -> ]
04/29/2016 09:45:11REWRITE Wrote: [ -> ]

That's one of the reasons why we will do the first round ourselves. We want to leave the final decision to the communities, but we will select the eligible set of works.

I'm currently considering lowering the 2nd round's entry count from 15 per category to 5 or 6 to make things easier.

Yeah, that would definitely make things easier but I also think that the main emphasis of this collab shouldn't be on crowning a winner but on bringing our communities closer together. So even if you do cut down the 2nd round shortlist to 5, you should still consider an honorable mentions list or something. And maybe encourage the WW people to come over to our forums and vice versa.