What makes you Drop a story?

I'm curious about what makes you guys drop a story, whether it is on RRL, another site, or just a plain novel.

The thing I hate the most is a main character that is easily manipulated.
Ex.) many of the stories on here have an MC that is guilted into doing something by a pretty girl, or just gives in to their demands... WTF!

Seriously, the instant that happens, my mouse moves over and clicks back to the story lists to find something else to read. I will drop you faster than a hot potato.

Why do authors on here do that?

Edit:
I never write bad reviews because I dislike a story.
I realize that this is a fanfic site, but there is so much an author could do with their story to be different, yet everything is the same....why?

I can easily overlook grammar, poor character development, and even no actual plot. But there are just things that are so overproduced that I have a hard time giving new stories a second chance.
Once again, I never disrespect the author and/or their work by posting harsh comments or reviews that aren't helpful.

RE: What makes you Drop a story?

Perhaps bad reviews? No readers? Lack of commitment, because writing is bloody hard work. Most of us sit until late in the night writing our stories or even until the  sun comes up again.

Then when it gets posted, some reader who does not like how your MC reacted to one simple thing rates your entire fic with half a star. He does not take into account the countless hours you spent on checking the grammar. He does not take into account the time spent on writing the story. He does not think that maybe the reason why the MC acted this way will be better explained in future chapters. Does not think of most of the technical stuff.

Nope just one action by your MC and all your work is lower than low.

Half of the reason is trolls. I have not dropped a story, but I have been demoralized. It did not stop me though. Maybe its because I am a bit more mature or just thick skinned. What most readers don't get is that a lot of stories you are reading here are written by fifteen to seventeen year old people. Imagine putting all that work into something at such a young age and then being told its shit.

The other half I chalk up to commitment. If a writer is not committed to a story it is going to fail. The writing will turn bad or they will just stop entirely. For people on these sites its nothing but passion and the love to write that drives us. Sure some make money, but they also started with one chapter and a little hope that someone will like it.  Then again this passion can easily be snuffed out if the writer is not prepared for bad comments.

04/05/2016 15:54:17 Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps bad reviews? No readers? Lack of commitment, because writing is bloody hard work. Most of us sit until late in the night writing our stories or even until the  sun comes up again.

Then when it gets posted, some reader who does not like how your MC reacted to one simple thing rates your entire fic with half a star. He does not take into account the countless hours you spent on checking the grammar. He does not take into account the time spent on writing the story. He does not think that maybe the reason why the MC acted this way will be better explained in future chapters. Does not think of most of the technical stuff.

Nope just one action by your MC and all your work is lower than low.

Half of the reason is trolls. I have not dropped a story, but I have been demoralized. It did not stop me though. Maybe its because I am a bit more mature or just thick skinned. What most readers don't get is that a lot of stories you are reading here are written by fifteen to seventeen year old people. Imagine putting all that work into something at such a young age and then being told its shit.

The other half I chalk up to commitment. If a writer is not committed to a story it is going to fail. The writing will turn bad or they will just stop entirely. For people on these sites its nothing but passion and the love to write that drives us. Sure some make money, but they also started with one chapter and a little hope that someone will like it.  Then again this passion can easily be snuffed out if the writer is not prepared for bad comments.

This. Stargazer I cannot tell you how true this is. It explains almost everything about the hateful reviews on most fics.
Let me put it this way, if you read my fic you will drop it "like a hot potato" in 2-4 chapters. You will also agree with all the negative reviews it has gotten. But, if you have patience enough to read on, you will find that a lot of what has been written in those reviews is pretty much conjecture and sometimes outright false.

This is  not unique to my fic. Take Mr. Sir's or take Eyeball's the Oddity (an Order fic) and you find reviews that are just a blatant expression of hatred because we couldn't wait for the author to explain, let alone develop. Now some authors have learnt to cope (special thanks to my readers and the order members from my side) and I know that being an author require's a thick skin. But, just imagine, can we expect someone's first or even second attempt at writing to be perfect? We should get a published novel for that.

Secondly, people's expectations get to extremes at times. We want a strong character, we also want good character development, we also want a good story, we also want good side characters, we also want main characters to feel good and not irritable,.... And after all this, we want the story to be fast paced. I am not saying this can't be done but it takes prolific writers to do, I am an amateur, with very little experience.

Lastly, everyone has different tastes. Have we recognized that portraying a character as a weakling, no self-assurance guy may have a reason. In my story I want to develop a weakling into a strong man, I start by showing him weak and easily lead around and I change it very slowly. In a  fic called the Black Sheep Prince the guy is weak but cunning, he is both sometimes lead around and sometimes the one leading around. Well? These are not things we need to like but they have their own charm. So please, let us try to look beyond a few chapters and try to give the author some leeway.

Imagine a sixteen year old that skimps on playing online game, working on his draft. He posts it and we go - "This shit is shit!" Congrats, we just killed an author. There is a way to disagree, and even disagreement can be supportive if done right. I know the Internet is full of haters but doesn't hurt if we can be different. Maybe take into account the author's experience and at least, try to be constructive in criticism. Softer. Milder. But we are so given to hate we often forget that a good author is created by both support and criticism and not born from hatred and discouragement. I hope we can make an effort in this regard. Oh, wrote too much. Sorry if this seems offensive.

Edit: I will just add that some of my early readers (chuckoff, toobadbro) told me "why" they disliked my fic. Like you, they were honest. And I really liked that. They told me they disliked weak MCs. They told me they found Elaine irritating. They told me seein heroes a lot was boring. See, they were clear.

Contrast this with my reviews. They told me Boris (MC) was "complete pushover" "pervert" "ugly" and with "no emotions". They told me Elaine was a "horrible, shoddily put together character". You see the difference? They did not give opinions, they pronounced judgement.
Quote:TL;DR: Full of Japanese tropes, not original at all. Okay writing, horrible characters. Don’t read.
Go read fimbulwinter, you can find it on amazon. Its much better than this.

Tell me, would you want to write better after being told that? Would you like to appease them? Please, try to be civil, Give your opinion. Not your judgement.

(FYI: Fimbulwinter is an erotica with wish-fulfillment themes. The guy who recommended that also told me Boris was a pervert and wanted my heroes to visit brothels. His review has 12upvotes and makes me laugh. Do you see the irony?)

I came here to say what Mr. Sir and Deva have already stated...so I'll leave it at that.

As far as your following comment goes;

04/05/2016 15:20:46D2xstargazer Wrote: [ -> ]Ex.) many of the stories on here have an MC that is guilted into doing something by a pretty girl, or just gives in to their demands... WTF!

To be honest, that's pretty realistic. Especially in certain age groups.

Just having a female character in a game is enough to make people crawl on their hands and knees begging me to do stuff with them. Gods forbid they find out I'm actually a female.

Dropping a story? Do you mean on an author's side or readers side?
Author me places his amateur work under the motivation category. I write on a whim. You don't have to read, but a nice or helpful comment here and there would be nice. Hard work is validated by recognition. Those above me have already covered the other reasons.

As for reader me, it boils down to whether or not I can read it (grammar) and if I actually like it.

Well if i am reading something, I really dislike if the MC is portrayed as a idiot. Most of the time if its not too bad i just ignore it. But there is only so much stupidity i can take.

Seeing that i only have one posted story at the moment, what is making me start thinking about dropping it is the almost total lack of any feedback.
One...One person has even bothered to make a post on my story. And that was a simple Thank you for the chapter. No complaining about my bad writing, no hey you misspelled this etc. Nothing..............................So yea. The lack of feedback is going to kill my enthusiasm to write anything more.

As a reader?

I'm quite particular in my tastes, lot's of things can make me drop a story, even if it's honestly not fair to dump a story on those grounds.

I have a strong dislike for the harem genre. If I smell a mile away that a harem is upcoming, I'm usually out. That's not just for stories, that's for other medias as well. I just don't think they're ever done well. Anywhere.

I'm most likely dropping a fic if It starts with giving me a long-winded exposition/History lesson on stuff I don't need or care about... If i wanted a history lesson, I would be on Wikipedia, right?  

I'm dropping the novel if the grammar makes it unreadable, or it gets too annoying to read. I'm no scribble champ myself, but certain things will drop me right out of the fiction world. Happens too often, I'll be forced to put it down.

I hope you guys don't think I am one of those that leave low reviews just because I dislike the story, grammar, or the Consistently reused Manipulated "Hero", I just let it go and move on. I know how it is like to see posts that just say "This sucks..Because I don't like it" without actually stating what they didn't like.

In my case, I only have hatred towards those types of characters which in turn forces me to stop reading because of lost interest. I guess I follow the train that loves bad ass characters that don't take shit from anyone.

Also, I would love, I mean LOVE! to see more girls that are action crazy compared to the ones that are in those detestable "harem".

Giving new authors some encouragement is a great thing and I've done that myself, but so many of them quit and it irritates me since a lot of those stories are really good.

Oh, by the way, I never read reviews or look at the star rating. As long as the summary is interesting, I will jump onto the first chapter. And I've given stories that have had those things I dislike a lot chances, but at some point you can't read what you don't like, though that doesn't mean the story sucks. I'm just a picky person in certain things, yet I still give things a chance at least once.

04/05/2016 19:35:59D2xstargazer Wrote: [ -> ]In my case, I only have hatred towards those types of characters which in turn forces me to stop reading because of lost interest. I guess I follow the train that loves bad ass characters that don't take shit from anyone.

I love bad ass characters too, though only so many characters in a story can be bad ass before I start to get bored.

I also like to see characters grow from weak to strong/bad ass as well. It really depends on just how weak they start out as though. If a character starts out as too weak...their growth ends up as unbelievable.

04/05/2016 19:35:59D2xstargazer Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I would love, I mean LOVE! to see more girls that are action crazy compared to the ones that are in those detestable "harem".

One of the main reasons my primary MC is female - not enough actiony-females in any genre.

Though...ugh, harems. lol I really can't stand harems unless I'm reading/watching something for laughs. Harems only ever have comedic value to me, honestly.

04/05/2016 19:35:59D2xstargazer Wrote: [ -> ]Giving new authors some encouragement is a great thing and I've done that myself, but so many of them quit and it irritates me since a lot of those stories are really good.

The problem is that a lot of new authors are very fragile. Egos in the creative community are generally fragile regardless of how "new" someone is. Even nicely-worded critique (or even a "hey, you misspelled this word here[...]" can crush some of them. If they're lucky, they might get dozens of nice comments/good feedback.

One bad review/comment though and they find their will to write crushed.

Another issue is that a lot of writers on websites like this don't put in the planning beforehand that's needed to continue. Eventually they will hit a wall because they didn't flesh out the world/characters/plot/something enough, and a lot of people would rather quit and start something new instead of fixing the problems with their current work.

A lot of people write/post on these websites "just for fun." Which is completely fine, and I have nothing against that. However, many people that post for fun also have this mindset that they don't want to fix/change/grow things. Eventually that bites them in the bum and they drop the fiction for any number of reasons. Usually because the negative feedback wears them down.

You just need to find the right fics then. I felt the same about female characters. Personally I like confident women that know what they want, so this is going to reflect in my story. But like we mentioned it takes time to build up a character so  if you read my story now you will probably think it is just another one of the fics you mentioned however I am at a turning point for one of my female leads. Where she will show her prowess.

This will affect others and cause a ripple to spur other characters on to grow more. i wont shy away from saying my MC is OP, but with his background it would be strange if he wasn't, the drawback is the power is too great and is threatening to overwhelm him in a way that coupled with the emotional stress of being thrown into a war and having to kill is making matters worse.

As a reader bad grammar turns me off, and there are a bunch of highly rated and viewed stories on RRL that sound quite interesting but I couldn’t get past the first chapter because of all the schoolboy errors. Just too distracting.

After that, it’s simply if it holds my attention or not. Once I lose interest why should I keep reading? Give the writer the benefit of the doubt and hope he pulls it all together six chapters from now? That’s not my job and I’m not going to waste my time on the outside chance it may end up being worth it. For every one time it is, how many do you reckon will produce a damp squib?

I’m a writer too, so I know the frustration of readers not being patient or giving the story a chance, but I consider the failure mine, not theirs. If I want them to wait for something to pan out  then I consider it my job to give them something else to keep them engaged until then. If I have awkward characters and scenes, I will try to make it satisfying in other ways.

Being precious about my work is pointless. There is no one way it has to be done ,and I can change any part of it and make it as good or better if I put the effort in. Being overly dogmatic, especially on a site like this where readers rule and vote with their feet, is just a sure way to reduce your readership and drive yourself crazy.

Having said that, there are also some readers who want the same wish fulfilment story over and over so they can daydream themselves as the MC. Which you just have to accept and ignore. Let them find their fapping material elsewhere.

I think the biggest things that makes me drop reading a story is:

1) Utter repetition.  Hero starts out, gets beat up.  Meditates.  Beats up bully.  Gets beat up by bigger bully.  Meditates.   ...  Beats up bully.  Gets beat up by bigger bully.  Meditates.  Beats up bully.  Gets beat up by bigger bully.  Meditates.  Beats up bully.  Gets beat up by bigger bully.  Meditates.  Beats up bully.  Gets beat up by bigger bully.  Meditates.  Beats up bully.  Gets beat up by bigger bully.  Meditates.  Beats up bully.  Gets beat up by bigger bully.  Meditates.  Beats up bully.  Gets beat up by bigger bully.  Meditates....

/YAWN!   My apologies!  I fell asleep just copy pasting such repetitive drivel.  Reading it makes me feel the same way.

2) Absolutely NO character progression.  Joe meets sue.  Perfect example would be in Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.  The characters gain levels, but nothing ever changes for them.  It's just fight, sculpt, fight, outsmart enemy, fight, sculpt, use sculptures to defeat an enemy no one else can, fight, sculpt, yawn....  

A lot of folks like that sort of thing, but I don't guess I'm one of them.  By chapter 150 or so, I'd more or less figured out the plot for the next 12 arcs.   Step 1: Introduce new, more dangerous enemy.  Step 2: Show Weed grinding and improving his skill to unlock a new power-rank in sculpting.  Step 3:Get chased by enemy in Step 1   Step 4: Devise plan using previous sculptures to have breakthrough with new ability and craft new sculpture   Step 5: Pawn enemy and make them seem completely week and foolish.  Step 6: Return back to step 1, repeat whole process...

No life changes.  No emotional growth.  Weed is the same person in chapter 300 that he was in chapter 1.  He hasn't really developed any romantic relationships, he hasn't really changed anything in life (still student playing the game for money), he's simply gained levels and that's about it.  He has such strong business sense in game, why not invest some money in the real world?  (Because the story doesn't care about the real world.  It's just filler between virtual contents...)

I just found myself losing interest and after somewhere around the 200th chapter, I just didn't care anymore.  I caught up to the translators at that point, and I really haven't bothered to go back and check on the latest 200 chapters or whatever it is.

3) A lot of folks say grammar/spelling is a reason they drop a story.  I can't say that's true for me.  If the grammar and spelling is horrendous, I won't even START the story, so I can't really use it as a reason to drop it.

4) Wild plot drift.  We start with a story of Fred the fighter.  In chapter 6, he sneezes twice, puts down his sword and becomes a wizard.   WHAT?  In Chapter 8, he's a pacifist?  In Chapter 10, a stealthy assassin sociopath?

5) A story that continues past the end.   Perfect example: The TV show Supernatural.  Sam and Dean have to stop the Apocalypse!  And they do so!  They defeated Satan, stepped the end of the world, and saved everything!  YAY!  Now, where does the story go from there?  What's the next step up from the apocalypse?  Leviatians -- primeval evils from before the dawn of time, trapped by God and blasted free!  

Ooooookay...   What's bigger than that??  

Oh!  OH!  I got it!  Pick me!  Pick me!   It's God's Sister!   Yeah!  She's the next 'evil' to beat!

Ooooookay...   What's bigger than that??  

Oh!  OH!  I got it!  Pick me!  Pick me!   It's God's Mother!   Yeah!  She's the next 'evil' to beat!   Angry her daughter got ganked!

What happened to the original story of a pair of fellows who hunted monsters in the world?  They've beat them all.  Killed them all.   Angels, devils, witches, yetis, werewolves, vampires, yada yada yada....  Now it's just a case of 'toss out the next bigger baddy' and  add in some filler....

And after typing all that, I guess my my reason is the simple repetitive use of the same thing over and over in a story.  Insert bigger threat, power up hero, defeat threat, rinse and repeat...  

I guess as I get older, I want to see some character  development in things.  Don't grow levels; grow emotionally attached to someone.  Get married.  Have kids.  Deal with LIFE -- and death.

I'm fine with slow character development; I just don't care to waste my time with stories with no character development any more.

04/06/2016 15:05:39mooderino Wrote: [ -> ]As a reader bad grammar turns me off, and there are a bunch of highly rated and viewed stories on RRL that sound quite interesting but I couldn’t get past the first chapter because of all the schoolboy errors. Just too distracting.

After that, it’s simply if it holds my attention or not. Once I lose interest why should I keep reading? Give the writer the benefit of the doubt and hope he pulls it all together six chapters from now? That’s not my job and I’m not going to waste my time on the outside chance it may end up being worth it. For every one time it is, how many do you reckon will produce a damp squib?

I’m a writer too, so I know the frustration of readers not being patient or giving the story a chance, but I consider the failure mine, not theirs. If I want them to wait for something to pan out  then I consider it my job to give them something else to keep them engaged until then. If I have awkward characters and scenes, I will try to make it satisfying in other ways.

Being precious about my work is pointless. There is no one way it has to be done ,and I can change any part of it and make it as good or better if I put the effort in. Being overly dogmatic, especially on a site like this where readers rule and vote with their feet, is just a sure way to reduce your readership and drive yourself crazy.

Having said that, there are also some readers who want the same wish fulfilment story over and over so they can daydream themselves as the MC. Which you just have to accept and ignore. Let them find their fapping material elsewhere.

I completely agree with you. Yes, every reader has a right to drop a story as and when he wants. Yes, if the author cannot attract readers it's not the readers' fault. Yes, OP should drop any fic he doesn't like. Even leaving a comment on a fic saying "why" one didn't like it is completely welcome.
Similarly, if we drop a 10-20 chapter fic after 2-3 chapters in we, as a reader, also have no right to judge it as unworthy or disastrous. Perhaps our judgement is right, perhaps it is wrong, but judgement (review) should be reserved until you have actually read through a considerable length (especially for fics that start slow). And it should be factual, evidenced and unbiased/neutral in tone. Other than that, you are absolutely right.

PS: liking your fic so far. ^^

04/06/2016 20:10:44Luciferia Wrote: [ -> ]
04/06/2016 19:16:46Darkbringer Wrote: [ -> ]5) A story that continues past the end.   Perfect example: The TV show Supernatural.  Sam and Dean have to stop the Apocalypse!  And they do so!  They defeated Satan, stepped the end of the world, and saved everything!

Sword Art Online falls into this category for me too. x:

SAO= lost my interest right after saving the girl from the gun game it should have ended there.

As for dropping the stories, sure go ahead. My gripe is when they leave a review like this before dropping it.

oved the MC at first,
SPOILERISH
at least until he went to save the so called “allies” and the first thing they did upon meeting him is treating him like an animal and then try to kill him, and he did get angry at them but all of sudden he forgives em just like that………and even then, towards the end of the chapter, he is still being called the “beast”

I can live with dense MCs, but not MCs who know they have been insulted and forgive easily for no reason, I mean they don’t have to hold a grudge, but if someone treats you like dirt, don’t just laugh it off man…its pisses me off reading it.

This, tried to kill him? Was a person who was on scout duty that attacked not knowing who he is.

If he read the chapter after that one he would have found out the MC actually left the Allies behind after the guy who trained him denounces them (his people) for acting the way they did, not to mention he did not forgive them he just had to fight an army, so who the hell has time  feeling angry? The allies reacted the way they did because of how the MC acted when fighting. They were afraid of him, which is normal when you don't understand something. Added to that the MC's origins cant be given to them, since at that point in the story it needed to remain secret.

04/07/2016 06:18:38 Wrote: [ -> ]If he read the chapter after that one ...

I really don't think you can afford to think like this. If he found what he read to be confusing or unconvincing, why should he carry on reading? That's not to say he's correct in his thinking, but he clearly didn't buy into the character's behaviour. Is that his fault?

It could be. He could be an idiot who doesn't comprehend English very well. Or you might not have written it as well as you could have. I don't know which is true in this case, but I do know you only have the power to change one of them.

To be honest, I'd say he gave you good feedback. He let you know exactly what he had a problem with. You can disagree and ignore his point (if everyone else was fine with it, probably he just misread it or was distracted when reading—happens to us all), but his reaction to what he read on the page is completely valid, imo, even if he's wrong.

04/07/2016 11:31:10mooderino Wrote: [ -> ]
04/07/2016 06:18:38 Wrote: [ -> ]If he read the chapter after that one ...

I really don't think you can afford to think like this. If he found what he read to be confusing or unconvincing, why should he carry on reading? That's not to say he's correct in his thinking, but he clearly didn't buy into the character's behaviour. Is that his fault?

It could be. He could be an idiot who doesn't comprehend English very well. Or you might not have written it as well as you could have. I don't know which is true in this case, but I do know you only have the power to change one of them.

To be honest, I'd say he gave you good feedback. He let you know exactly what he had a problem with. You can disagree and ignore his point (if everyone else was fine with it, probably he just misread it or was distracted when reading—happens to us all), but his reaction to what he read on the page is completely valid, imo, even if he's wrong.

Disagree. That opinion maybe valid (as of that chapter) but that review is not. (And would it hurt to comment it in the chap itself?) If authors cannot afford to leave a little mystery in early chapters then they will have to create close-ended chapters that would better work as short-stories.
To leave us readers curious about something is not a flaw (though perhaps, poor execution may render it as one). A small bit of open-ends cam work beautifully if they tie up later into something unexpected. Again, the reader had the right to express his gripe but to leave a negative review without even reading the next chapter was certainly unfair.

04/07/2016 13:42:53theDeva Wrote: [ -> ]Disagree. That opinion maybe valid (as of that chapter) but that review is not. (And would it hurt to comment it in the chap itself?) If authors cannot afford to leave a little mystery in early chapters then they will have to create close-ended chapters that would better work as short-stories.
To leave us readers curious about something is not a flaw (though perhaps, poor execution may render it as one). A small bit of open-ends cam work beautifully if they tie up later into something unexpected. Again, the reader had the right to express his gripe but to leave a negative review without even reading the next chapter was certainly unfair.

I absolutely agree the writer has the right to leave some mystery in a chapter, as much as they want. But finding the right balance between tantalising an confusing is tricky, and you won't always get it right.

As the writer, you already know what's going to happen, and it's very hard to unknow it as you write, so what you think as solid and reasonable motivation, may not look that way to a reader who only has what they've read so far to go on.

It's not that you should tell the reader everything up front, it's that you should make them want to know what's behind it all, not just assume they'll keep going until it all makes sense because they have nothing better to do.

Encouraging them to make their complaints, even when they haven't read past one or two chapters is the only way for them to let you know this. I know it's frustrating to get a bad review that others will see and might put them off reading, but there's no way you can stop that from happening in any case.  You have to find a way of using it to your advantage.

If you look at that review posted by Mr Sir, the guy just pointed out the character's behaviour he didn't like. That's just how people think. They see someone act a certain way and they judge them on it. They don't think, Let me wait and see what the real story is here before I make a judgement. They make assumptions and change them as new information comes to light.

As a writer, once you become aware of a problem like this one (if you think it is a problem) there are ways to ease a reader through it. Foreshadowing, inner monologue, side characters, body language... you can give  a sense of things not being as they appear without explaining why. It's worth the annoying times some jackass just trolls you for those one or two times someone points out something you missed and can now fix, imo.

But expecting readers to keep their opinions to themselves unless they've read the whole book is pointless. And impossible.

By the way, theDeva, this is just what I think at the moment, I'm not convinced I'm right or anything, I just like talking about this stuff. It became a lot easier for me to handle critics once I took this approach to negative comments.

I'm with mooderino on this one. Absolutely every choice you make as a writer will influence how readers view a story, and every reader will view it through their own unique perspective.

Don't complain about readers' complaints. Simply judge them for what they are: a single person's opinion. If you feel that they make a valid point, adjust your writing accordingly. If you don't, accept that they weren't part of your target audience in the first place and move on.

There are two perspectives to take when writing a story. One is your unique vision of your work, what you want to share with the world. The other is understanding how the reader will interpret the words you commit to the page. Often, these two don't match. However, railing at the reader's interpretation will get you exactly nowhere. Even if he/she didn't read carefully enough, or didn't have enough patience to get to the good part, or wants you to change what you feel is an integral part of the story, it's a valid opinion. You have two choices: change the story, or accept the loss of that reader as an unavoidable consequence of the choices you made in the creation of your story.

My goal when I publish my stories isn't to be well-liked by every reader. Not only is that impossible, but even if it were possible, it would require the kind of generic writing that appeals to a broad audience. My goal is simply to be one person's favourite story, to find my target audience and present to them a story that resonates. I want to craft characters and worlds that aren't already well-represented within fiction. I'm deeply satisfied if I get a review that indicates that I've done that, and accept people who don't like the story as an inevitable side effect.