This thread is locked

The Art of Deleting reviews?

I was just going through some old posts of mine and stumbled upon a fiction I reviewed previously. So I thought 'hey, how about I see how the thing has gone so far'.

So I check in to see what people wrote about the fiction so far.. and noticed that someone (obviously some admin or moderator) deleted the review I wrote for it. First of all, you should know that the review had a LOW RATING with it. The review was VERY LONG, had a good enough grammar (from my point of view, at least), and a lot of points where I addressed why I didn't like what I read.

I didn't get any notice of why my review was deleted. I had spent at least half an hour writing it, and someone just came by and deleted it? Well, thanks to royalroadl.com for the fair treatment, I guess.

The fiction in question is Monsters Dwell in Men by Monsoon117.

At first I thought that the site might have had some kind of bug or something, but then I saw this:

https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FQ9VWWzT.png

Obviously, the review was posted properly, and others have read it. So someone must have deleted it.

I will also mention that the fiction and author are part of the The Order of Phantasmal Architects, and that I also got asked by the author to kindly change my review and that he will even rewrite part of it if need be..

A real backbone the author has. If he had sticked to his story and writing, and actually said that he BELIEVES in his own writing, I would have even deleted the thing.. but no, he would even rewrite his own story for the sake of reviews and followers. Is he trying to write a good story or trying to be popular? I wonder...

I'm not gonna be wasting my time writing some huge post and ranting why I was wronged here, because I really doubt it is worth it.

All I'm gonna say is this (meant as a warning to all other reviewers here):

Before you decide to write a review, think if your time is worth being spent giving any kind of feedback here by writing reviews, or even comments, because it is very obvious to me that this site is not someplace where you can share your opinion freely, and if some of the more 'connected' authors and groups don't like the way you think about their writing, it will simply get deleted...

So unless your opinion is the same as of those who are moderating this site, you really shouldn't be wasting your time on here. I'm saying this from experience.

RE: The Art of Deleting reviews?

Hi Edward,

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is an excerpt from your review as it is the only mention of any review that was related to the fiction I've found:

Quote:I’m giving the story this kind of score, simply to counter all those fanboys and fangirls, veery subjective, yes, and I’m aware I’ve given stuff that isn’t worth anything way better scores. When compared to other reviews of mine, at least the grammar should be a 4/5. Is it fair? Don’t know, don’t care.  This can be called anything but interesting.

If this isn't the one, I am unsure as this is the only review I could find mentioned to be deleted from said work. Voting 0.5/1 star just to "counterbalance" the ratings of others goes against any and all intentions a rating system can have. But this system will be gone in the future to use one more suitable for our audience.

The review where the above excerpt came from got reported by both readers through Private Messages and the author, to my understanding. Either way, I'll ask the moderators involved on what basis did they delete your review as soon as I can.

In case the above excerpt isn't from your review, we will need to look into what exactly happened. In this case, please try to provide us with any information regarding your review that can help us identify what happened; the review deletion system, sadly, has no moderation log for now, I'll try to rectify this later today. Please understand that this isn't due to forgetfulness, but simply due to our lack of resources.

Please do mind that we require all moderators to send a PM to the reviewer in case it was removed with all the content from the original review, along with why it was removed. If it didn't happen this time, we will have to have to talk to our moderators regarding this issue until a more automated system is put in place.

2/21/2016 11:27:20 AMkanadaj Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Edward,

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is an excerpt from your review as it is the only mention of any review that was related to the fiction I've found:

Quote:I’m giving the story this kind of score, simply to counter all those fanboys and fangirls, veery subjective, yes, and I’m aware I’ve given stuff that isn’t worth anything way better scores. When compared to other reviews of mine, at least the grammar should be a 4/5. Is it fair? Don’t know, don’t care.  This can be called anything but interesting.

If this isn't the one, I am unsure as this is the only review I could find mentioned to be deleted from said work. Voting 0.5/1 star just to "counterbalance" the ratings of others goes against any and all intentions a rating system can have. But this system will be gone in the future to use one more suitable for our audience.

The review where the above excerpt came from got reported by both readers through Private Messages and the author, to my understanding. Either way, I'll ask the moderators involved on what basis did they delete your review as soon as I can.

In case the above excerpt isn't from your review, we will need to look into what exactly happened. In this case, please try to provide us with any information regarding your review that can help us identify what happened; the review deletion system, sadly, has no moderation log for now, I'll try to rectify this later today. Please understand that this isn't due to forgetfulness, but simply due to our lack of resources.

Please do mind that we require all moderators to send a PM to the reviewer in case it was removed with all the content from the original review, along with why it was removed. If it didn't happen this time, we will have to have to talk to our moderators regarding this issue until a more automated system is put in place.

Yes that is the one, and no I didn't get any notifications. And no, the review doesn't go against any rules of RRL,as far as I know, I've checked before I posted the sentence you just mentioned. No insults, no offensive language, no racism or anything of the sorts. Unless you consider 'giving a one star' against the rules, in that case I would have gone against them.

As for why, I only mentioned that the 'ruling' I used isn't the same I used for other reviews of mine. While I try to be objective in most cases, as much as one can when writing any kind of criticism. in this case I was completely subjective and yes, the score might have been a bit low, instead of half a star, it might have deserved a star and a half in some parts based on the latest chapters. But that is a matter of opinion and depends what it is compared to. If I had given it a 5 star and said "I'm giving it 5 stars even though I think it deserved a 4 because 80% of other reviewers have given it a 2". I've seen reviews like that here, and I don't think they were deleted. So why was mine? Not to mention that my review isn't as simple as the example above.

Also, the author has published another 10+ chapters since my review was posted and I wanted to update it with a somewhat better score as the writing did get more balanced... Anyway, given that my review is gone, no point in doing that now.

PS: The excerpt you have, is like 1/15 of the review and only the last part... where I got a bit into ranting. But if I have one offensive word (which I don't think I did), that doesn't mean the review can just outright be deleted, or not contacted if I am going against some rules, as you said.

I'll look into this issue either way so reviews don't just disappear without a proper reasoning. I know we have plenty of unfair reviews on the site, and even if yours was such (I haven't actually read either the review or the mentioned work, so I have no idea if it actually was unfair), singling out a few based on whims is not something that should happen.

I've already sent a message to the moderator team to see what exactly played out.

Thank you for your understanding.

2/21/2016 2:18:02 PMkanadaj Wrote: [ -> ]I'll look into this issue either way so reviews don't just disappear without a proper reasoning. I know we have plenty of unfair reviews on the site, and even if yours was such (I haven't actually read either the review or the mentioned work, so I have no idea if it actually was unfair), singling out a few based on whims is not something that should happen.

I've already sent a message to the moderator team to see what exactly played out.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for being fair on that point.

Hello, I am the author of the story Monsters Dwell in Men. The reason I reported your review was because your rating was focused on other people's enjoyment rather than actual problems with my story. (Not to say my story is perfect by any means.)

I have seen your reviews on other fictions, and you offer rather scathing critique, but you offer a rather solid analysis of the story with points to improve on. In my review, you seemed to just bash my story without mentioning any of the grammar or an inconsistency or plot holes or the setting or the plot or even a single character, but purely off wanting to devalue the enjoyment of other people.

I wouldn't have reported your review if you had offered something to improve or allowed me to change something. As the author, the overall effect is really demoralizing though I understand the idea of having your own opinion on my story, but thei review seemed to be focused on other factors without analysis on the story.

One of the reasons the rating system is being scrapped, to my knowledge, would be the unproportionally large impact negatives reviews have because of the standard high ratings on this site. If I had say a 4.83 rating with 10 reviews, then your half star rating reduces my rating to a 4.43 which will take over 25 full 5 star ratings for the rating to get back to the previous level. That's giving the power of over 35 reviews in the hands of one person.

When your rating is based on factors that don't pertain to the story, you devalue the experience of dozens and dozens of other people. If the rating in my example was higher, then a low review would have counteracted even more people's 5 star reviews. That would be fine with me if you pointed out a glaring plot hole or some problem I may work on, but that wasn't the case, so I reported the review feeling helpless.

I even sent you a PM asking how I could improve the story so that your experience would improve as you disliked the story, as your review didn't give me specifics to work on. Unfortunately, you never replied.

I am sorry if you want more from me as the author . If you give me your thoughts in a PM detailing your problems with the story, then I will try to tweak and change some stuff based on your suggestions.

This might be a melodramatic reaction but

"Don't negotiate with tyrants, or terrorists  As they will only return with more demands afterwards. It is your story and while it's open on the internet for all to read and review, it doesn't nor should it give power to people with (what in this case seems to be) a (random) vendetta.

"I give this story a .5 because some people like it to much, I have given worse stories better ratings. " 

A review should not be about whether someone else likes it, but about the product in question. and your personal experience/thoughts of it.

2/21/2016 5:50:06 PMMonsoon117 Wrote: [ -> ]I have seen your reviews on other fictions, and you offer rather scathing critique, but you offer a rather solid analysis of the story with points to improve on. In my review, you seemed to just bash my story without mentioning any of the grammar or an inconsistency or plot holes or the setting or the plot or even a single character, but purely off wanting to devalue the enjoyment of other people.

I wouldn't have reported your review if you had offered something to improve or allowed me to change something. As the author, the overall effect is really demoralizing though I understand the idea of having your own opinion on my story, but thei review seemed to be focused on other factors without analysis on the story.

Reviews are what they are. And it seems like he wasn't just mindlessly bashing your post. TeaAddict777 says "Edit – after reading Edward’s review and liking it I agree that he does make some valid points." Valid points. You can't just delete a review because you don't like your work not getting a perfect score. How does a single negative review devalue the enjoyment of other people?

2/21/2016 5:50:06 PMMonsoon117 Wrote: [ -> ]One of the reasons the rating system is being scrapped, to my knowledge, would be the unproportionally large impact negatives reviews have because of the standard high ratings on this site. If I had say a 4.83 rating with 10 reviews, then your half star rating reduces my rating to a 4.43 which will take over 25 full 5 star ratings for the rating to get back to the previous level. That's giving the power of over 35 reviews in the hands of one person.

When your rating is based on factors that don't pertain to the story, you devalue the experience of dozens and dozens of other people. If the rating in my example was higher, then a low review would have counteracted even more people's 5 star reviews. That would be fine with me if you pointed out a glaring plot hole or some problem I may work on, but that wasn't the case, so I reported the review feeling helpless.

A three star is average. Nothing good, nothing bad. Maybe not by RR standards? But some people do review based on that. A 5 star has an equal impact as a 1 star score on a 3 star base.

2/21/2016 5:50:06 PMMonsoon117 Wrote: [ -> ]I even sent you a PM asking how I could improve the story so that your experience would improve as you disliked the story, as your review didn't give me specifics to work on. Unfortunately, you never replied.

I am sorry if you want more from me as the author . If you give me your thoughts in a PM detailing your problems with the story, then I will try to tweak and change some stuff based on your suggestions.

Some people will love your story. Others will hate your story. You can't make everyone like your story. You shouldn't have to tweak your story to please other people, unless they are major glaring errors. Reviews are there to represent the people who like your story and those who don't like your story. If I end up hating your story (haven't read it, sorry) and the only thing I see are positive reviews with a link in the synopsis to a group of authors, then I'm going to assume that your reviews were inflated by the members of the group even if it wasn't.

Point is, you spent effort writing your story. He spent effort (according to his post) writing a review. Deleting his review may deny other stories his review because he's discouraged from writing them. Why bother if it'll just get deleted anyway right?

"Some people will love your story. Others will hate your story. You can't make everyone like your story. You shouldn't have to tweak your story to please other people, unless they are major glaring errors. Reviews are there to represent the people who like your story and those who don't like your story."

In the review, Edward says, "I’m giving the story this kind of score, simply to counter all those fanboys and fangirls, veery subjective, yes, and I’m aware I’ve given stuff that isn’t worth anything way better scores. When compared to other reviews of mine, at least the grammar should be a 4/5. Is it fair? Don’t know, don’t care. "

This counters your point. He doesn't review my story. He reviews other people's ratings of my story.  He doesn't rate my story.  He says so flat out without pulling any punches. 

I understand your points. People should be able to voice their opinions on a story for sure. If he wants to let me know about the problems in my story, then why should he care if it reduces my rating? Why shouldn't he be satisfied that I have offered my personal time to listen and reply to his critiques over PM?

Because I believe he wants to reduce my rating plain and simple. Regardless of my stories content or presentation, he has something against me. I actually remember getting into an argument over some comments months ago on a story board. Here is the link. 

http://royalroadl.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=49176&pid=492703#pid492703

I put 2 and 2 together. IMO, he saw my story was by me then gave me the super low rating on my story because of my comments over his comments over someone else's story.  Why else would he suddenly and out of the blue give me such a biased rating even though his other ratings are sublime!

I have seen his other stuff. He gives fictions rather fair reviews on all the other stories I have seen him rate. I was actually excited about receiving the review of such an analytical fellow only to find such an openly hostile review. This is what I honestly think. I may be wrong, but I wanted to voice my thoughts over the situation, and I am sorry if I am stepping out of line here with my assumptions. If this is the case I will immediately put this comment down and apologize, but it's hard not to get frustrated. 

It feels like I can't voice an opinion on the site without getting an advanced .5/5 star review with a .5/5 star rating in each category. I hope I presented my points well, and I am sorry if my points seem unreasonable to Edward or the staff. I don't mean to insult Edwards character either.

Anyone can get angry and maybe subconsciously take it out on someone later. Maybe thats what occurred. I just doubt it due to the nature of the review. Thank you guys for your time and consideration.

I am fine with the verdicts of the mod either way. To be honest, I am tired of the whole issue. 

2/22/2016 12:39:58 AMVirlyce Wrote: [ -> ]You can't just delete a review because you don't like your work not getting a perfect score.

Keep in mind authors can't delete reviews off their fiction page - they can only report them to the admins.

As such, Monsoon is not the one that deleted the review, just the one that reported it.

If the admin's or mods chose to delete it...doesn't that mean there was indeed something wrong with the review?

2/22/2016 3:22:03 AMBlaiseCorvin Wrote: [ -> ]A "3" in RR is equal to a "C", no?  Therefore, similar to the LNs that many RRL stories emulate, anything below a C is failing. 

Perhaps the rating system, instead of going from 1-5 should go from 3 - 7 instead. 

I'm chuckling as I type this.  Geek humor.

Honestly, a system where you rate something with words rather than numbers would be better.
E.g. Terrible, Bad, Average, Good, and Excellant. People think of anything under 4 as bad with the current system.

TThey do seem to be changing it to a Like / Dislike system though.

2/22/2016 3:08:35 AMMonsoon117 Wrote: [ -> ]"Some people will love your story. Others will hate your story. You can't make everyone like your story. You shouldn't have to tweak your story to please other people, unless they are major glaring errors. Reviews are there to represent the people who like your story and those who don't like your story."

In the review, Edward says, "I’m giving the story this kind of score, simply to counter all those fanboys and fangirls, veery subjective, yes, and I’m aware I’ve given stuff that isn’t worth anything way better scores. When compared to other reviews of mine, at least the grammar should be a 4/5. Is it fair? Don’t know, don’t care. "

This counters your point. He doesn't review my story. He reviews other people's ratings of my story.  He doesn't rate my story.  He says so flat out without pulling any punches. 

I understand your points. People should be able to voice their opinions on a story for sure. If he wants to let me know about the problems in my story, then why should he care if it reduces my rating? Why shouldn't he be satisfied that I have offered my personal time to listen and reply to his critiques over PM?

Because I believe he wants to reduce my rating plain and simple. Regardless of my stories content or presentation, he has something against me. I actually remember getting into an argument over some comments months ago on a story board. Here is the link. 

http://royalroadl.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=49176&pid=492703#pid492703

I put 2 and 2 together. IMO, he saw my story was by me then gave me the super low rating on my story because of my comments over his comments over someone else's story.  Why else would he suddenly and out of the blue give me such a biased rating even though his other ratings are sublime!

I have seen his other stuff. He gives fictions rather fair reviews on all the other stories I have seen him rate. I was actually excited about receiving the review of such an analytical fellow only to find such an openly hostile review. This is what I honestly think. I may be wrong, but I wanted to voice my thoughts over the situation, and I am sorry if I am stepping out of line here with my assumptions. If this is the case I will immediately put this comment down and apologize, but it's hard not to get frustrated. 

It feels like I can't voice an opinion on the site without getting an advanced .5/5 star review with a .5/5 star rating in each category. I hope I presented my points well, and I am sorry if my points seem unreasonable to Edward or the staff. I don't mean to insult Edwards character either.

Anyone can get angry and maybe subconsciously take it out on someone later. Maybe thats what occurred. I just doubt it due to the nature of the review. Thank you guys for your time and consideration.

I am fine with the verdicts of the mod either way. To be honest, I am tired of the whole issue.

Ah, so that was you back then! No, I didn't know you were the same person. I don't remember the usernames of everyone I have discussions on the internet. I'm quite active on reddit as well, do you know how many people I talk with on there? I couldn't remember you even if I wanted. Actually, the only one I remember on this site, by username, is unice755, and that is because her fiction had a 'by unice755' at the end in the title so I thought it was part of the title.  I remember thinking back then how you really twisted my words in that discussion. But that is irrelevant here.

No, I didn't give you a 1 star because I didn't like what you posted. I actually like being confronted on my opinion. It let's me grow as a person to see things from different angles. In fact, I thank you for that reply of yours in that thread, while I didn't like it, I definitely don't hold a grudge against you. (And no, this is not a passive-aggressive thing. To be clear.)

As for my review. First of all, the review consistED of two parts, the REVIEW and the SCORE.

If you wanted to delete my score, sure go ahead. I don't really care much. But I was a bit offended on why my review, which is longer than some chapters on this site, simply vanished. And remembering how adamant you were on me changing the score, I thought it was really weird how much some people care if they have a 5.0 score or a 0.5 score.

I just watched two movies today, one had a 6.0 score on imdb and the other had a 8.6 score. The first one was times and times better. So why do you care so much about it? Not like my score will somehow degrade your writing. Unless you degrade your own writing. Which you do, and which is the reason I don't really respect it...

But that aside, to make it perfectly clear, I didn't give you a 1 star rating because I wanted to spite you. That is not what I said. I OBVIOUSLY said, that when compared to other fictions I reviewed, I used a different ranking system. I gave a 3/5 grammar to an author that didn't know how to put a comma properly,  but gave you 1 star. Why? Simply because I thought that people weren't reviewing your story, your fiction as a form of entertainment, but as a piece of literature.

Here is the top review of your fiction:

Quote:"The storys’s dialogue is the story’s greatest strength along with its original characters. The scenes aren’t forced, and the story has an interesting premise that executed pretty well.
All in all its a joy to read with its fair share or funny, sad, and epic moments. Very few fictions on this site have any real, genuine strengths. This actually has some really touching scenes.
I Really enjoyed Braxton’s witty conversations  as well as some of the action scenes. If you could post some illustrations or maybe a map. that would be pretty awesome.
I would really recommend reading this. MIST CREW UNITE."

by Monsoon117.

Oh wait.. that's you isn't it? And it got 10 likes. It's interesting how you say "If you could post some illustrations or maybe a map. that would be pretty awesome." Are you being sarcastic? For a guy how is putting poems out, you are really bad at reviewing.

Anyway, let's see about the second one on the list of top reviews for your story. It's title is "10 Dostoevsky's/10".

So, it's a 10? 10 Dostoevsky's ?  Like the story has 10 of those guys in it or?  Wow, must be a cool story.

So since it is on the level of Dostoevsky, as the guy said,  I thought I'd score my review based on the one I gave Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment (I gave it a 5 on goodreads, would have given more, if possible).

And that is what I did. I gave it a very high scoring system, when compared to other reviews. And ASIDE from the score, I gave it a VEEERY LONG REVIEW. Which had a lot of points on why I didn't like the story and why I think it was overrated by the other users who read it. And I wrote all those things down. And if you had read it, before reporting it with the excuse of 'It's too low of a rating for MY story', then you wouldn't have to write crap like this:

Quote:

I don't really read my inbox, not often. The little inbox link at the top is too small and the notification bubble even smaller so I don't pay attention to it. Also, the reason why I'm not satisfied is precisely the mentality you're having here. You're saying that you would take your personal time to listen to my opinion and change your story to fit my needs. Why? The only reason I can come up with is that you want a better score on the site.

My issue with your PM is: You aren't a true writer, you're a guy trying to be popular in a fanfiction community. And that kind of writing, where the author has no true feelings for his own writing, that is writing that I can never respect. And that is writing that doesn't even deserve a 0.5 rating.

-----------

This aside, the reason I opened this thread isn't to see if my score was fair or not. The reason I opened it, was to know WHY it was deleted, and by whom. As far as I can see, the administration said it themselves, that I at least deserved to be notified.

If I crossed some rules, why didn't my Warning Level go up? Simple: My review was legit. The issue is my score was too low for someones taste. And it got deleted. Who knows, maybe the next day there will be some Superman fan who doesn't like the fact that there is a fiction where Batman beats Superman and deletes it. And that is the point here.

As far as I see it, some users are more privileged then others. Nothing wrong with that, that's how the world is. But if so, I want other users to know that fact before thinking of joining the community.

I'd very much like to be wrong on this point.

PS: another funny thing, as soon as I posted this post, ResonantIce came in here and started reporting some post. I saw it on her/his profile page. Wonder which one? Oh and, guess which group she belongs to?

Your guess is right: Phantasmal Architects...

PPS: I shell let you know that I have neither spammed, call out anyone, insulted anyone (unless you call me saying that his writing is not worth respect 'insulting'), nor anything other that is against the rules of Royalroadl.com. And I'm making sure to backup my writing, FYI.

2/22/2016 8:40:33 PMEdward Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I see it, some users are more privileged then others. Nothing wrong with that, that's how the world is. But if so, I want other users to know that fact before thinking of joining the community.

I need to correct this: there are no more privileged users. If you want a group that has more privileges, then it's the moderators, but they aren't really in the same group as the users.

But favouritism towards regular users is not accepted for them either. And (ab)using their powers thoughtlessly gets them reprimanded - like just happened; the moderators involved got warned to never let this happen again - or, in some severe cases, stripped of their position, which has happened in the past.

But under no circumstances is favouritism tolerable in an online community when community members disagree on something, like in this case. The admins and moderators are here to mediate if needed, or if things go too far. Naturally, if we see straight out trolling or similar toxic behaviour, we will intervene. In any other case, our role demands us to stay impartial, and we do so.

The reason it seemed otherwise this time is an error of judgement, and it's not something the administration of the site wishes to allow.

Alright. This is my last response as I need to focus on getting my degree in finance, writing my story, and maintaining my fitness rather than doing this.

My story isn't even close to what is considered normal for this site. If I wanted a popular story on this site I could write a story based on reincarnation, VRMMO, maybe a story stemming from a popular video game. One of the author's who replied to this comment section(Virlyce) wrote a story that garnered over ten times more views in half the time. More than that actually. (My story has 33,000 views while his has 666,600. Thats 20 times as much and hes started less than a month ago.)

I am not saying he doesn't deserve his views or I deserve more. I am saying that if I wanted a story with views, then I would simply write on the standard formula of success with my own spin on it, but I don't intend to do that. I want to get my novel published at some point in the future, and in order to do so, I need to understand the criticisms that I am given.

When I reach out towards the people who berate my story, I do not do so in order to garner a better rating. I do this so I may understand their qualms. They represent a portion of the people who try to read my story. The represent a whole perspective on the issue I may not have even considered.

I feel excitement at the prospect of growth. I feel the rush and exhilaration of change, but your review did no such thing. You meant to undermine my story just because of a personal vendetta against either me or my own readers as though their enjoyment deserves a scathing rebuttal simply because they enjoy something.

I don't want to drop into some mudslinging contest over a single rating. I want to understand the criticisms of my audience while learning and growing as a writer. The rating system gives me the allowance to do so. The system generates an accurate portrayal of the impressions of my readers giving me an invaluable resource to draw from.

So I listen, but when someone comes and destroys the delicate balance for their own aims, I am unable to sit down and receive such arbitrary hate without cause nor reason.

You undermine the very purpose of the rating system; to give a voice for the people who read the story. You try to tear down the opinions of others ruthlessly taking advantage of the system in place to do so regardless of the ethical implications.

My opinion may seem overacted, but this issue has been overblown ten fold until it has reached near biblical proportions both pettiness and spite. I just want the issue to die as the whole fiasco has soaked far more of my time than I would have willingly given.

I pray the mods and admins of this forum stick to their own guns. An author should be able to voice their opinion without receiving whiplash towards their story in a form of petty retaliation for the sake of self satisfaction, but if the powers that be believe such a system just, then I may only comply. Good day to the fellow readers here, and may you enjoy the stories this site has fostered with a platform that allows them to be a part of the community without fearing the whiplash of a decenter.

2/22/2016 9:16:47 PMkanadaj Wrote: [ -> ]
2/22/2016 8:40:33 PMEdward Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I see it, some users are more privileged then others. Nothing wrong with that, that's how the world is. But if so, I want other users to know that fact before thinking of joining the community.

I need to correct this: there are no more privileged users. If you want a group that has more privileges, then it's the moderators, but they aren't really in the same group as the users.

But favouritism towards regular users is not accepted for them either. And (ab)using their powers thoughtlessly gets them reprimanded - like just happened; the moderators involved got warned to never let this happen again - or, in some severe cases, stripped of their position, which has happened in the past.

But under no circumstances is favouritism tolerable in an online community when community members disagree on something, like in this case. The admins and moderators are here to mediate if needed, or if things go too far. Naturally, if we see straight out trolling or similar toxic behaviour, we will intervene. In any other case, our role demands us to stay impartial, and we do so.

The reason it seemed otherwise this time is an error of judgement, and it's not something the administration of the site wishes to allow.

That's more than enough for me. I'll trust you on your word.

Again, thank you for your reply.
This thread is locked