Re: ROYAL ROAD APP?

Why do people want an app anyway? I don't see any problems with mobile version in a browser. I dislike having a lot of apps in my phone. If the app gets released, it gives incentive for RR staff to make everyone download it and stop using browser RR version on the phone, which means less support for mobile version of the page, which means unhappy me.  peodistress

@Artim

Well even if there was one already you wouldn’t have to use it, so no problem there. Personally I find that on mobile using royal road tends to slowly clog up my browser with more and more tabs... It would be nice if I didn’t have to use the mobile browser since it’s easier to keep tabs (lol) of multiple apps than it is to do the same for multiple websites. Also using browsers always make me slightly paranoid of cookies and trackers and malware. At least with an app I don’t have to place my trust in third parties as well.

I know there are arguments for the app, I just wanted to complain a bit.  peohello

A few things that I used had published apps, which was followed up by stopping support for the mobile web version, or in one case actively made mobile experience worse so everyone would instal the app, since they already spend the money making it.

gunyguny Wrote: I was also waiting for this forever, but i have now found a great alternative.
SHOSETSU
It is an open source project for aggregation of light novels, and they added RoyalRoad to the repository.

https://shosetsu.app/

Btw - instal the dev version
It's probably a really bad idea to try to get people into this or supply random links. We don't know if these were legally gained or stolen, which in the latter case would likely be seen as you being part of it for bringing it up. Just be careful

Thedude3445 Wrote: The app will bring countless brand-new users to the site... I really hope the app comes soon

my only fear is that with such a great community
it might be awkward to see it grow so suddenly
steady growth would preserve the awesome culture here
i worry what may happen if loads of trolls appear

Thedude3445 Wrote: The app will bring countless brand-new users to the site... I really hope the app comes soon

I might be wrong but I don't think that would be the case. I would have brought some probably, but I think app is more about maintaining users (getting them addicted) and gathering more data. It is easier to cut time you spend on a service if you have to use browser and type address, or even if you have the site bookmarked. The barrier to get there is not big, but still much harder than just clicking an app in your phone. It also creates a bad habit of always checking the app. You can do the same with browser but you are less likely. App takes more control from you and gives it to the company/developer.

I think apps for services are good for developers/companies more than the users, at least most of the time. But even developer would not always benefit from an app. In my option an app for RR currently would not be worth it even from developers perspective.

eric_river Wrote:
Ararara Wrote: I only use my phone for phonecalls so I wouldn't care either way
https%3A%2F%2Fmedia2.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FRK7McTCKG...%3Dgiphy.gif

one day you'll catch up with all the modern kids on here
you're not alone though, i too often forget the year  :' )
I have a flip phone.  I barely even knew what an app was until someone sat me down and explained it in detail.

Artim Wrote: I might be wrong but I don't think that would be the case. I would have brought some probably, but I think app is more about maintaining users (getting them addicted) and gathering more data. It is easier to cut time you spend on a service if you have to use browser and type address, or even if you have the site bookmarked. The barrier to get there is not big, but still much harder than just clicking an app in your phone. It also creates a bad habit of always checking the app. You can do the same with browser but you are less likely. App takes more control from you and gives it to the company/developer.

I don't know in general, but in this specific case, the appstore audience potential for web novels is gargantuan and the amount of readers who probably don't even know Royal Road exists yet is staggering. Just being in the "similar apps" section on Google Play, and being free with no premium paywall in-game currency stuff, is probably enough to send the MILLIONS of Webnovel app readers here in droves, let alone people who use the countless other C-tier web novel apps. The ecosystem and audience is already in place from all these other apps, and so many of these apps are also shoddy moneygrubbing schemes that Royal Road being decent would be enough to change the game. I am betting there are hundreds of thousands of active web fiction readers who almost exclusively use apps instead of browsers, who are already primed to want more LitRPG, xianxia, action fantasy, and fantasy romance, all of which this site already has tons of.

Yeah. I can add that when I started doing webfiction it was through stuff like topwebfoction, but that site is top sparse for a real source of reading so I ended up on Wattpad somehow mostly using it as an app and ignoring the browser version. In fact when I was on there the app was definitely the better vwrsion and the browser version of the site didn’t feel great to use so I think they definitely focused on the app development side, which might be a good tell for where the big audiences are. Though that said it might also be a big influence on why Wattpad has the community that it does since mobile apps can draw in demographics differently than websites and such do because of how different the levels of convenience are.

If it's not done like the Wattpad app, which force-feeds you ads* every few chapters, an app would be great. 
I'd also think that there is a big audience for an RR app. 
Most likely I'd still stay with the browser version. Being able to keep the 500 most important RR-related tabs open at the same time is such a blessing. 😄

*Therefore, I use an ad-blocking browser on my phone for WP.