Semi-official groups on RRL

We, the staff of RRL, have noticed the formation of several unofficial user groups throughout the site. We have decided to give these groups a chance to become semi-official and somewhat recognized by the site, granting some mainly aesthetic perks to groups that qualify.

To clarify, a semi-official group is unlike an official group in that it does not represent RRL in any way or fashion, does not fulfill an official function for RRL or hold any power or authority. They are simply there to be noticed for whatever reason they were formed
Requirements to form a group like this:

1. Approval of one of the site’s admins and supervision by one of the mods/admins

• Vocaloid is very whimsical and will probably accept most groups as long as he finds the group to be amusing. (Vocaloid prefers dark themes and comedies but is somewhat partial to romance as well. He also avoids overused themes like reincarnation and VR since they’re usually done badly.)

• Wing will accept a group that is focused on pure content (Such as: non-mature fiction, children's stories or light themes).

• Spiriter will accept most groups, provided they don't have sexual content or harems. He does, however, have a soft spot for good comedy and well-done action and romance.

• Reshi-mon will accept mostly any groups that desire to learn how to write female characters, as well as those that wish to improve their writing quality. She has a liking for slice of life, romance, action, and comedy. Although mature themes are something she accepts, she dislikes harems and reincarnation.

• The list could change, but the mods that are not listed here do not consent to supervise and you’ll be ignored if you try to contact them on this subject.

2. Should have at least a few members before applying.
3. Some sort of goal or common trait among the members
4. Has to be active enough (not just make it and then only 1 or 2 people come on)
5. RRL-appropriate behaviour (see forum rules)
6. A name that is approved by their supervisor (cannot be vulgar and must make sense relative to their purpose)

*Group status can be revoked if groups no longer meet all requirements

Possible future perks/ideas for such groups:

1. Their own custom badge to show off to other people; they can either make it themselves or make a request in the art forum.

• This can be found under “Settings/Profile/Lists & Groups” in the forums.

2.Their own subforum that only members and mods/admins can see so they can be somewhat of a secret society if that’s what they want to do. Sort of like how the Group members have the request forum that functions like the support ticket forum (only members, mods, and the one who made the thread can see it.)
3.Their own rules and customs to follow in order to feel more like a proper organization and help out each other.

• Things like requiring every member’s signature to include a link to a page linking to the respective fictions of all the members to help them receive more attention.

4. Possible future group contests making groups face off against each other.
5. Their own officially recognized chats via skype or chatango with at least one site Forum Moderator (not chat) as supervisor and mod of this chat.
6. Allow the groups to create events that could either be recognized as official for all of the users, or just a mini-event for the group itself, in which the group members that organized the event can hand out achievements as rewards.  The event need to be approved by the supervising mod.

RE: Semi-official groups on RRL

Do you want to set up some sort of application system then? So a forum where someone can post their idea for a group. If enough attention/interest is garnered, and it meets standards, a moderator/admin would approve the group and set them up in their own subforum.

Another suggestion I might make is exposure. To reward groups who contribute/get involved with the community, a small recommendation system could be put in place. For example, one or two groups might be 'officially recognised' every week. Not to say they're an official group, but rather that the moderator/admins heavily approve of the group and what they've done.

To answer your questions:

@Manic_design
Note in the rules the section that says
Quote:Possible future perks/ideas for such groups:

and @Neydomus
Quote:hand out achievements as rewards

The whole concept is for fun, like guilds in games.
Prior to this post we knew that 2 groups were already in the making. so this post came as a support for them and for any group that will be made in the future. .

One is the Phantasmal Architects. You can find them in the forums. As for the other group... I'm not sure. I am aware of The Group as a review group and there is The Den which is already operating off forums in google chat and drives. As far as I am aware from my position in the Den, the majority consensus is to not make a group sub-forum on RRL.

1/19/2016 2:07:26 AMj0nn0 Wrote: [ -> ]One is the Phantasmal Architects. You can find them in the forums. As for the other group... I'm not sure. I am aware of The Group as a review group and there is The Den which is already operating off forums in google chat and drives. As far as I am aware from my position in the Den, the majority consensus is to not make a group sub-forum on RRL.

You don't want your own badges? That's a serious perk of getting semi-official status. :)

Wait until you see ours, you'll be so jealous.

1/19/2016 4:51:41 AMClearMadness Wrote: [ -> ]You don't want your own badges? That's a serious perk of getting semi-official status. :)

Wait until you see ours, you'll be so jealous.

Hehe, shiny badges. I've personally got enough shiny achievements, mostly from doodling things, and there's bound to be more in the future. If only more people would participate in the RRL events though... :-/

Maybe if the RRL sub-forums/semi-official groups show some sort of effectiveness and appeal other than badges and a sub-forum, then The Den might change their collective minds about it. Until then, I'm content to watch The Phantasmal Architects and their progress. Good luck with designing your standard. I wanna see what sort of design you all come up with.

1/19/2016 5:48:14 AMClearMadness Wrote: [ -> ]The increase in views is not inconsiderable either.

I guess that's true. One author's fan base could click the link to check it out and bam, there go another few dozen follows for each fic. The more collective stories, the more potential viewership. On particularly popular fics, this could translate to explosive growth in viewership for the other stories.

I see the Den as a more casual group of authors than a sort of genre or grouping of stories. I myself have no ongoing or active stories at the moment, but some of the other Denizens have a tremendous fanbases (Clockwork by VRdraco & Insania Online by Warhaxs & RE: Hamster by Jormlung* & RE: Ferret by "The Den's Rolling Ferret" unless he changed his title) and we all just get together online to bounce ideas off of each other and hang out in google hangouts. In the first place, I'm pretty sure that The Den started off as a core group of people who actually know each other face to face and are local. Most of them just write for the sake of writing, but I'll mention it to them the next time they're online, that is, if they don't see this first.

*I apologize if I misspelled.

P.s. Seriously though, what's that other group? I know of Phantasmal Architects that's getting a forum, The Group has their reviews section, but what's the other one on RRL? The Den is largely off site and only the name is tossed about in comments and the occasional profile title.