Re: What is mature?

Wrote: Question: Does a realistically described case of extreme radiation poisoning count as gore?

What happens in a realistically described case of extreme radiation poisoning?[/quote]
You know the show Chernobyl? The scenes of people with extreme radiation poisoning in that show are unrealistic. The producers thought if they were to depict it accurately people would think they were being excessive and ridiculous.

Spoiler: Descriptions of radiation poisoning contained within, be warned
Radiation kills your immune system and soft tissues. This includes connective tissues. Now the job of connective tissues is to keep you together. They keep your skin on your muscles and your muscles on your bones and your organs in your chest cavity. In extreme cases of radiation poisoning a lot of the body's soft tissue will be destroyed. Skin can become degloved (never image search that term) where it is disconnected from the tissues underneath and even from it's blood supply. Muscles can become disconnected and organs can fall out of position. There are accounts of medical staff removing a victims socks only for most of the flesh of the feet and lower shins to come away as well. The worst thing about extreme radiation poisoning is that you die slowly.

There is no way in hell extreme radiation poisoning isn't gore. It is in fact one of the most terrible and gory things I can think of.

Quote:It's supposed that a sapient mature creature that can convey words can also give consent. 
I'm going to allow the idea of sex with centaurs, as long as you can convey that they are able to give and convey consent. 

For incest questions, there isn't really a precedent here, as that is a historical practice (and a fairly legal one, looking at the Habsburg dynasty) and probably doesn't need any more mention and discussion than that.

So it's okay on both. Woo hoo! Thanks, man! That helps a lot!

Had an idea knocking about for a while after going over a lot of superhero serials. I'm assuming this one would come under "Traumatizing - Questionable moral values", but I've no idea if the following would be tolerated on-site at all given the charged material and touchy contemporary subject; I've had the story described as "X-Men in reverse", the synopsis is as follows:

The Over-Men
In most superhero, or indeed "villainous" fictions, the protagonist will usually encounter some two-bit, two-dimensional and completely irredeemable characters of a European and Early-20th-Century ideological bent, perhaps serving as the opening act's antagonists, or simply as a backdrop for the heroes to bond over a little justifiable ultra-violence.
It's easy to see why, overplayed or not - this group is the last one that's publicly acceptable (and very enjoyable) to hate.
But what motivates them? Why are they drawn to such extremes? The Over-Men is an attempt to flesh out the lives of these darkly charismatic supervillains and their pasty, skin-headed goons, to answer some questions and inject a little humanity into fiction's favourite felons.

---

Naturally the premise involves "villains" as the main characters, a dystopian near-future setting, and lots of investigation into various racially and politically motivated groups, with the superhero genre as a reflection of the contemporary as it's so often used. Moral greyness, relativity, dealing seriously with extreme and radical ideologies and so on. Some levity to keep it from being too philosophical, maybe Mecha-Hitler and Brain Of Lenin-a-Jar make an appearance, who knows.

I have a question about "no pedophilia" rule. What exactly does that mean?  I'd assume that it means that characters under the age of 18 can't be described to be in sexually intimate actions (such as forms of sex).  But what are the actual limits?

If I'm writing a story that involves only teens, can they kiss? Heavy petting?  Is discussion of them banging fine as long as it isn't described?  Can there be nudity as long as it isn't sexual in nature (say, a bunch of teens skinny dipping, or a scene where characters are all showering and talking about their day)?

Basically, does the intent of the scene matter?  Or is it a hard line?  I probably should have asked this before going 115K words into the first story I'm working on, but hindsight and all.

Apologies if this has been answered before.  I looked, and couldn't find anything else that was on topic, and felt this thread was the most appropriate place to ask.  Thanks.

Quote:I have a question about "no pedophilia" rule. What exactly does that mean?  I'd assume that it means that characters under the age of 18 can't be described to be in sexually intimate actions (such as forms of sex).  But what are the actual limits? 

If I'm writing a story that involves only teens, can they kiss? Heavy petting?  Is discussion of them banging fine as long as it isn't described?  Can there be nudity as long as it isn't sexual in nature (say, a bunch of teens skinny dipping, or a scene where characters are all showering and talking about their day)? 

Kissing, I'm not really sure myself (unless it's on the cheek, that would be okay), depends on how you define 'heavy petting.'

From what I can understand, if there's at least one person that's performing a sexual, explicit, graphic act described in detail who is young in age and/or body, then that would be not allowed. I think this also includes describing parts of a young person's body in intimate detail either in the nude or wearing revealing clothing like underwear or bikinis. Doing stuff in the nude while not going into anything sexual is kind of a gray area.

If we're talking about someone who said they had a sexual experience, no matter their age like "I lost my virginity/had my first time at 14 years old," as long as they don't go into detail from that, they're basically stating a fact that happened in the past, a history, and it'd be difficult to ban something based on that. The characters could even say they just kissed someone or had sex the day before, or they're going to have sex and make a time skip to the day after that and that would be fine as long as they don't go into detail.

Since we're talking a story that mainly involves teens, if you're attempting romance, it is possible to pull off without the explicit sex, you may not even need it if it doesn't have anything to do with the plot. If we're talking action/adventure that involves a lot of violence, you could have freakin' babies killing each other with guns in a badass way and nobody would bat an eye.

Those are my guesses from what I could understand. Hope this helps.