RE: Writer's Thread for Writers!

8/27/2015 3:28:32 AMsa1880612m Wrote: [ -> ]Seems to me that the logic of getting a loan from a bank applies here. You know that you have to prove you don't need it to get it thing. If this thread fades into obscurity it never needed to be pinned, but if it has appeal and gets used all the time it will stay on top or quite high on the first page. So pinning the thread would be unnecessary.

8/27/2015 3:31:18 AMunice5656 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't personally have the power to pin threads, and I really don't think the admins will find this thread important enough to pin.

Well, then let time tell the tale then.

8/27/2015 4:25:14 AMSmall-san Wrote: [ -> ]I think cliche's are alright :) It's how you make the cliche your own niche :)

On topic, I hate how a lot of really good fictions in this site are not getting enough love.

I think cliché has it's appeal. In fact, i find that when an author trying to be too anti-cliché he would accdentally destroys his story. It become cliché because it worked. Only when you overuse it too much then it would become bad.

Still, my story is always in need of some love, i will always welcome those who are capable of providing more love :D.

8/27/2015 5:18:02 AMSmall-san Wrote: [ -> ]@forgiuse

I've read a few chapters of your story(forgive me for not leaving a mark. I always don't) It has good flow and good narrative imo. I like the fight scenes in particular, the buildup of tension is great :) I shall finish the rest when I have more time today.

Thank you kindly. I rarely get something other than "Thanks for new chapter" (And even that is rare). I really appreciate your thoughts :D.

Let me throw another problem for you guys: Do you fear there'll come a time where you would "accidentally" jumping the shark ?

Let say that you have this ground-breaking and game-changing twist for your story that you have already planned for a very long time, a twist that would completely change the tone of your story. Then you make such thing happen as planned. But then, your readers aren't exactly happy with such thing, and they'll tell you that you just jumped the shark and resorted to using gimmicks to keep your story flowing.

What do you think ?

8/27/2015 5:43:21 AMforgiuse Wrote: [ -> ]
8/27/2015 5:18:02 AMSmall-san Wrote: [ -> ]@forgiuse

I've read a few chapters of your story(forgive me for not leaving a mark. I always don't) It has good flow and good narrative imo. I like the fight scenes in particular, the buildup of tension is great :) I shall finish the rest when I have more time today.

Thank you kindly. I rarely get something other than "Thanks for new chapter" (And even that is rare). I really appreciate your thoughts :D.

Let me throw another problem for you guys: Do you fear there'll come a time where you would "accidentally" jumping the shark ?

Let say that you have this ground-breaking and game-changing twist for your story that you have already planned for a very long time, a twist that would completely change the tone of your story. Then you make such thing happen as planned. But then, your readers aren't exactly happy with such thing, and they'll tell you that you just jumped the shark and resorted to using gimmicks to keep your story flowing.

What do you think ?

I think that happened to me on my first story here in RR. Most of my readers accused me of what you said, even though I planned it to happen for a long time. But I still didn't blame them. I realized it was probably because of my inexperience as a writer that the foreshadowing I left didn't get to them. However, I was still hurt, you know. Who wouldn't? It killed my motivation to write for a few days after that x.x

8/27/2015 5:43:21 AMforgiuse Wrote: [ -> ]What do you think ?

8/27/2015 6:03:36 AMSmall-san Wrote: [ -> ]But I still didn't blame them. I realized it was probably because of my inexperience as a writer that the foreshadowing I left didn't get to them. However, I was still hurt, you know. Who wouldn't? It killed my motivation to write for a few days after that x.x

Maybe you two only need to practice more on the concept of Chekhov's Gun.

It's a difficult thing, really - to make that really surprising twist of plot, yet make your readers realize "Wow, that's amazing. He actually planned this out a long time ago!"

It's all in the mix of hiding enough, yet showing the tail of the plot device. For example:

If there would be a deal with the Devil in the future, mention religion earlier in the story and offhandedly say the Devil's name around that part.

If there is a legendary monster, while the story is just starting make the MC mention said monster's name and claim he can't defeat it - that makes it all the more ironic and amazing when he finally does.

A sword needs metal. A gun needs bullets. A bag of something secret works for any plot twist and if somebody coughs, he would die or at least be seriously ill by the next chapters.

Set magic rules early, so when your character inevitably finds loopholes it doesn't feel like something you pulled out of nowhere. Mentors have to state their reasons for not fighting their student's battles, add some characters here and there so you could kill them off later.

A heroic sacrifice needs secret training. A poison needs an antidote. A map would make a maze easy, and a 'useless' skill would find use later.

Just plan ahead, and hide details within details or gags or discussions.

Hmmm... I've been actually thinking of dropping my current story for the moment to write up a new one.

A Deconstruction.

It'll be a mix of the cliches on this website, with some aversions, subversions, lampshades and harsh logical conclusions to some of the more popular ideas. The plot is more of the typical 'Doomsday Scenario' plotline, with the MC as this.

1) Idealist MC in a Crapsack World. And I mean it in a "I'll kill myself before I would break my morals" kind of idealism.

2) Supernatural elements mixed with social darwinism. MC is not overpowered - rather, he strictly falls into the 'Above Average' category in a world filled with monsters and game-breaker powers.

3) Adults Are Not Useless.

4) Story starts with the line "If it ever came to be that the world became the stage for an apocalyptic event, I would be amongst the first to die." from the MC, with him surviving the first chapter out sheer luck to be part of the 5% of the world's population who survived the sudden deaths in the First Day.

5) Story ends in Ten Days.

...hmmm. Should I write it?

8/27/2015 4:54:06 PMreaderdreamer5625 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm... I've been actually thinking of dropping my current story for the moment to write up a new one.

A Deconstruction.

It'll be a mix of the cliches on this website, with some aversions, subversions, lampshades and harsh logical conclusions to some of the more popular ideas. The plot is more of the typical 'Doomsday Scenario' plotline, with the MC as this.

1) Idealist MC in a Crapsack World. And I mean it in a "I'll kill myself before I would break my morals" kind of idealism.

2) Supernatural elements mixed with social darwinism. MC is not overpowered - rather, he strictly falls into the 'Above Average' category in a world filled with monsters and game-breaker powers.

4) Story starts with the line "If it ever came to be that the world became the stage for an apocalyptic event, I would be amongst the first to die." from the MC, with him surviving the first chapter out sheer luck to be part of the 5% of the world's population who survived the sudden deaths in the First Day.

I think you forgot this :D :

8/27/2015 4:54:06 PMreaderdreamer5625 Wrote: [ -> ]6) It's a VRMMORPG.

8/27/2015 3:19:20 PMforgiuse Wrote: [ -> ]I just wrote a damn long chapter that almost crossed the 10k mark (could cross it but i held back). Proofreading will be a pain to do after i have my break.

Do you usually proofreading by yourself, or you have some one be your beta-reader ?

lol I don't even proofread. My grammar and spelling are just like this because I care about them.

8/27/2015 3:50:54 PMreaderdreamer5625 Wrote: [ -> ]Uni helps me with my chapters, but I can't say for sure she is still accepting positions as someone's beta reader...

*ahem* I'm a "mentor". My mentorship thread is still open. But seriously, if you have a lot of spelling and grammar errors, I'll quit helping you pretty quickly because they're like claws on a chalkboard for me. If you have nice basic writing skills, we can go the distance together.

8/27/2015 4:54:06 PMreaderdreamer5625 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm... I've been actually thinking of dropping my current story for the moment to write up a new one.

A Deconstruction.

I think "cliches done properly" starts out as a compelling writing exercise, but it won't give you the burning passion to keep writing once you go from the initial sprint to the marathon. If it's a short story, you can write it, I guess, but I don't see why you have to drop your current story in order to do so.

Remember, if you get a reputation for dropping stories, you'll get readers who refuse to try anything you write.

8/27/2015 6:50:03 PMVihyungrang Wrote: [ -> ]GRAAAAH!

The pains of having a great idea for a new story, while not even close to finishing the previous one.

Ok, got that off my chest...

I literally have six entire story worlds and sets of MCs ready to go, in addition to the two I'm writing now. That's why I always scoff when people post those "I have this great idea, hope someone else writes it for me" threads. Nobody who writes is lacking in ideas.

8/27/2015 10:38:32 PMunice5656 Wrote: [ -> ]
8/27/2015 6:50:03 PMVihyungrang Wrote: [ -> ]GRAAAAH!

The pains of having a great idea for a new story, while not even close to finishing the previous one.

Ok, got that off my chest...

I literally have six entire story worlds and sets of MCs ready to go, in addition to the two I'm writing now. That's why I always scoff when people post those "I have this great idea, hope someone else writes it for me" threads. Nobody who writes is lacking in ideas.

Who gives their good ideas away? -.^ That's just silly. Even if someone writes the story, it wont be the same thing because it's no longer the story you imagined.

The problem isn't having ideas, those are dime-a-dozen, the problem is when you know the new idea would make for a better and more compelling story. Still, just wanted to vent that out.