About Genres and Tags

Because of the Romance without Harem thread I have been wondering if the site has the tags defined somewhere. So I wanted to start a discussion about them but it sort of evolved into something else as I was trying to define them. I started to divide them into categories ultimately coming up with three setting, themes, and fiction type.

Edit: Didn't say this but I added tags I thought we should have or would be necessary to fill out the categories.

Setting
MedievalSetting is somewhere between the Early Dark Ages and the Renaissance period in terms of technology and social development.
Steam Punk/Clockwork*Setting has advanced technology reliant on steam or gears. Usually used in conjunction with an otherwise early or pre-industrial setting, though not always.
HistoricalBased during a significant non-fictional historical period. The story may restrain itself to reality but is not required to do so.
ModernSet in the current time period of the world or having a similar level of social and technological development.
Science FictionStory heavily involves or revolves around mechanical or otherwise science based technology that is fictional or beyond the current level available.
Space**The majority of the story involves inter-planetary, inter-stellar, or inter-galactic travel through space or uses artificial structures in space. Very often this is tied to the Science Fiction Setting.
Alternate WorldSet in a world that is not Earth but in a story which includes the existence of Earth. Includes Transported, Parallel Worlds, and most Reincarnation stories.
FantasyStory involves elements of magic, magical creatures or non-human races including elves, dwarves, and beast men.
Virtual RealityBased in or around a virtual world or Virtual Reality game.
Supernatural***Story revolves around elements that deal with magic, demons, angels, ghosts, vampires, and werewolves.

*This was basically envisioned as a setting for any time parts of technology are unnatural considering the social and technological development otherwise. I couldn't quite word it that way but it could also include Magi-tech among others.

**This was separated from science fiction to account for cases of stories having science fiction but not being set in space and for stories set in space that rely on technology that is not science oriented.

***Can't find the words for this. I know there is a difference, I know that there can be a supernatural story in a Medieval setting that is different to a Fantasy one in the same time period. I am also aware it isn't just dependent on the races involved. I want to say something like Supernatural focus more on examining themes, like mortality, through the use of such topics and creatures or examining the creatures or topics themselves. On the other hand Fantasy has such beings or topics but the focus is usually else where. Ultimately not sure.

Fiction Type
OriginalAny fiction not set in a world or using the characters created by someone other than the author.
Fan FictionAny fiction set in a world or using the characters created by someone other than the author.
CrossoverAny fiction set in a world or using the characters created by one or more person other than the author or that incorporates an element of crossing from reality into someone else's fictional work.
One Shot*Any story that is presented in it's entirety that is not meant to be continued.
FinishedAny story that is finished.
Reader InteractiveAny fiction where the author takes reader input into account in regards to how the story develops.

*This is the only one that is a little vague. I don't know that it needs to be a single chapter per se but it does need be complete and the author should be done with the story and characters.

Themes
ActionFighting and/or battles are a focus of the story.
AdventureTravel or exploration that is perilous in nature is a focus of the story.
ComedyHumour is a focus of the story.
DramaStory focuses on character interactions and development, and emotional themes.
Gender BenderStory gender swaps a major character or explores themes regarding gender identity.
HaremStory involves the main character being surrounded  by characters of the opposite gender, usually romantically.
HorrorStory seeks to startle or elicit a negative emotional reaction from it's readers.
Martial Arts/Wuxia/XianxiaStory focuses on martial arts, training, or the pursuit of personal power.
MatureDeals with topics of a mature nature including swearing, gore, and sex.
PsychologicalStory deals with emotional, mental or behavioural issues.
RomanceStory focuses on the development of a romantic relationship between two of it's characters.
School Life*Story focuses on life in an educational institute or the lives of those attending an educational institute.
Slice of LifeStory focuses on the everyday life of it's main characters.
TragedyThe main character or characters undergo great personal loss or suffering during the course of the story.

*School Life seems wonky to me as it's half setting.

I didn't do sports because I haven't come across a single story I would consider sports oriented on this site.

So do you agree with how I define them? Disagree? What do you think of separating them into categories?

RE: About Genres and Tags

Seem pretty interesting, and I almost agree with everything. But just to be clear, the list available currently is just temporary

This is the one we will be having soon

Generes :
Action
Drama
Horror
Psychological
Adventure
Erotica
Mystery
Erotica
romance
Comedy
Fantasy
Non Fiction
Sci-Fi
Contemporary
Historical
Short Story
Tragedy

Additional Tags:
Anti-hero Lead
Harem
Non-Human Lead
Secret Identity
Strong Lead
Female Lead
Magic
Reader Interactive
Slice of life
Summoned Hero
Gender Bender
Male Lead
Reincarnation
Sports
Supernatural
Grimdark
Martial Arts
School Life
Strategy
Virtual Reality

If you wish to describe these as well, we might link to your description as the official one :D
As for what you said about Sports, while I agree that there isn't one yet, it is still an interesting subject.
Many anime and manga has that theme and are pretty successful, and I am still looking forward for someone to create something like quidditch.

I think it would be smart to use the worldwide approved definitions of the main categories, instead of inventing new ones.

Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Horror, Romance, Slice of Life, Tragedy

These categories for example are surely already defined and approved somewhere. It's just about searching it up.

Wiki definition on Romance for example:

According to the Romance Writers of America, the main plot of a romance novel must revolve about the two people as they develop romantic love for each other and work to build a relationship. Both the conflict and the climax of the novel should be directly related to that core theme of developing a romantic relationship, although the novel can also contain subplots that do not specifically relate to the main characters' romantic love. Furthermore, a romance novel must have an "emotionally satisfying and optimistic ending."

I'm more against using the genre definitions because the tags don't really represent genres but more themes that the story has or explores. Take Romeo and Juliet. It is a Tragedy but it also has elements of Romance. It totally defies the wiki definition of Romance but would it really be wrong to tag it as both Romance and Tragedy?

That said I did try to incorporate what I consider the salient point of the genre into tag description. When I didn't outright look them up.

Yes it would be very very very wrong to tag 'Romeo and Juliet' as romance.
(Please don't be mad, but my german teacher would shoot you. This isn't meant offensive, he would simply do it ^^)

Romeo and Juliet is the epitome of Tragedy. I am not against being lenient in regards of applying tags, but R&J is not a romance. Most definitely not.

A Tragedy doesn't deny love between two people. It's often used to invoke the neccessary feelings in the reader.

Maybe you can tag other stories with both tags if you have two seperate couples, or a first love interest dying and having a second which is fulfilled.
In that case you could add both tags.

Now XX% more based one wiki or standard definitions.

Fiction Classification
Original*Any fiction not set in a world or using the characters created by someone other than the author.
Fan Fiction*Any fiction set in a world or using the characters created by someone other than the author.
Short StoryA complete fiction that is less than X in length.
Non-FictionWork that focuses on facts, and real people or events.
Reader InteractiveAny fiction where the author takes reader input into account in regards to how the story develops.
Finished*Any story that is finished.

*Wing kind of dropped Original and Fan Fiction in her post so I am not sure if they are going away but I left them in. Finished is something I think should exist along with dropped and hiatus, the details might need to be worked out though.

Main CharacterTraits
MaleMain character is male.
FemaleMain character is female.
Anti-HeroMain character lack conventional heroic attributes.
Over Powered/StrongMain character is overly powerful for their age or stage of training.
Non-Human*Main character is not human.
ReincarnatedMain character is reincarnated.
Transported/Summoned HeroMain character was summoned or transported to another world usually to serve someone else's purpose.
Secret IdentityMain character frequently conceals their identity beneath a specific distinct disguise.

*Not sure whether demi-human is acceptable here or not.

Themes
ActionStory involves a series of challenges to the characters involving physical feats, fighting, violence or frantic chases.
AdventureStory involving characters partaking in an exciting undertaking involving risk and physical danger.
ComedyStory that places emphasis on humour, intended to amuse it's readers.
ContemporaryStory occurs in a setting identical or highly similar to the current time.
DramaStory that uses in-depth development of realistic characters and deals with emotional themes.
EroticaStory featuring erotic themes and explicit love scenes but with romance at the heart of the story.
FantasyStory uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary plot element, theme or setting.
Gender BenderStory gender swaps a major character or explores themes regarding gender identity.
GrimdarkStory has a tone or setting that is markedly dystopian or amoral, or particularly violent or realistic.
HaremStory involves the main character being surrounded by characters of the opposite gender, usually romantically.
HistoricalStory takes place in a setting located in the past.
HorrorStory seeks to startle or elicit a negative emotional reaction from it's readers.
Magic*Story has magic as one of it's plot elements.
Martial ArtsStory focuses on martial arts, training, or the pursuit of personal power.
Mystery**Story focuses on the solving of a crime or series of crimes.
PsychologicalStory focuses on characters with emotional, mental or behavioural issues.
RomanceStory focuses on the development of a romantic relationship between two of it's characters.
School LifeStory focuses on life in an educational institute or the lives of those attending an educational institute.
Science Fiction (Sci-Fi)Story deals with a futuristic setting, futuristic science and/or technology, space and/or time travel, parallel universe and/or extraterrestrial life.
Slice of LifeStory focuses on the everyday life of it's main characters.
SportsStory has a sports setting, event, or an athlete as the central focus.
Strategy***Story in which tactical decisions or strategic principles are a major theme.
Supernatural****Story involves plot devices or themes that defy the natural world or materialist assumptions about it.
TragedyStory in which the protagonist undergoes great personal loss or suffering especially as a consequence of their own decisions or character.
Virtual RealityBased in or around a virtual world or Virtual Reality game.

*Now that I've incorporated more of the wiki definitions into the descriptions I fail to see how magic is distinct from fantasy.
**I would prefer to have done 'the solving or understanding of a crime, series of crimes,  unexplained event or series of unexplained events' but went with what google brought up.
***Yeah not sure on this. It seems reasonable to me, but I didn't find a wiki definition that translated well to stories.

****To clarify in a fantasy setting where vampires are publicly acknowledged as real their existence doesn't qualify the story as supernatural but in a modern setting where common sense says they don't exist the story would or could qualify. I don't know if describing it that way helps or not.

@Andur. I am quite aware that it is not a Romance, but I don't view the tags as being representative of the genres but rather themes, events or topics in the story. As R&J has romantic themes, events or topics I don't feel it would be wrong to give it the tag.The tags are content descriptions far more than they are genre descriptions is my point I guess. At least in my opinion.

The [Magic] tag is repetitive, I think you could cut that one, it's just a sub-genre of [Fantasy]

[Transported/Summoned Hero] ---> cut the Hero, then it fits any sort of MC

I would add a [Hero] tag if you have an [Anti-Hero], likewise you would need tags for [Demon-Lord] [Criminal].....

Hence I suggest adding three character traits:

[Good/Heroic Personality] Doing mostly only good things. Cares for others.
[Grey Personality] Doing good and bad things.
[Bad/Evil Personality] Doing mostly only bad things. Cares only for himself.

And if you can search for an OP MC, why not for an UP MC?

Not really my tags. I just threw together descriptions for the ones Wing provided.

I do think that [Magic] could be dropped.

As to [Anti-Hero] I don't think that three categories are necessary. But a [Villainous] tag seems worth looking at. That would allow the author to specify whether the MC was an anti-hero or a villain with a lack of either indicating a more conventional role.

I related OP to strong but that may not be it's actually intention. UP would be a rare category but could be worth considering too. As I said though not my tags. At least not this time.

if there is any tag that shoud be added (in my opinion) its the [space] tag

there are a few great space novels on the site like Universe Online and Tidal Lock but to find them and others like it the only tag you can use is [sci-fi] . but then you get almost every Virtual Reality story as wel

12/20/2015 9:57:47 PMGlyph Wrote: [ -> ]if there is any tag that shoud be added (in my opinion) its the [space] tag

there are a few great space novels on the site like Universe Online and Tidal Lock but to find them and others like it the only tag you can use is [sci-fi] . but then you get almost every Virtual Reality story as wel

I second this comment. Tidal Lock is a great space novel.
:am:

Though in all seriousness, the vast majority of works brought up when searching for Sci-Fi are actually VR Fantasy, where the only Sci-Fi element is just its use of VR as a plot device.

The best work-around I've come up with to search for actual Sci-Fi is to exclude the Fantasy tag from the search. This will exclude any work that does properly mix both genres, but it does get rid of all the VR fantasy.

12/20/2015 11:43:42 PMResonantIce Wrote: [ -> ]
12/20/2015 9:57:47 PMGlyph Wrote: [ -> ]if there is any tag that shoud be added (in my opinion) its the [space] tag

I second this comment. Tidal Lock is a great space novel.
:am:

Though in all seriousness, the vast majority of works brought up when searching for Sci-Fi are actually VR Fantasy, where the only Sci-Fi element is just its use of VR as a plot device.

The best work-around I've come up with to search for actual Sci-Fi is to exclude the Fantasy tag from the search. This will exclude any work that does properly mix both genres, but it does get rid of all the VR fantasy.

this is also what i do but stil only 1 in 10 of the novels i find with that are what i woud consider a sci-fi. most are ''near future'' ''modern time'' or even storys with wrong tags