Re: another story lost to kindle...

Geeze Wrote:
Mx.Writer Wrote:
BB Wrote:
Mr Wrote: I for my part have more respect for every last reader, even if they don't rate my fic or leave a comment. Because they read the stuff I had written.

How nice for you. Enabling people who do nothing but take because you need the validation.

Where I come from that's usually referred to as an abusive relationship. But like I said, you do you. Just make sure to get your story straight or the cops might not actually believe you fell down the stairs again.

Good afternoon!
I don't get the cops joke. Could you explain it to me?
BB was facetiously implying that Yair was in an abusive relationship and lying about how he was receiving his injuries to the police in order to protect his abuser.
OOOOH, woah, that's unnecessarily grim. 

Geeze Wrote:
Mx.Writer Wrote:
BB Wrote:
Mr Wrote: I for my part have more respect for every last reader, even if they don't rate my fic or leave a comment. Because they read the stuff I had written.

How nice for you. Enabling people who do nothing but take because you need the validation.

Where I come from that's usually referred to as an abusive relationship. But like I said, you do you. Just make sure to get your story straight or the cops might not actually believe you fell down the stairs again.

Good afternoon!
I don't get the cops joke. Could you explain it to me?
BB was facetiously implying that Yair was in an abusive relationship and lying about how he was receiving his injuries to the police in order to protect his abuser.
Thanks for explaining it for me. 

Mx.Writer Wrote:
Geeze Wrote: Yair, I think you two are just having a simple difference of opinion.  BB is simply saying that if a writer chooses to offer his or her product for free and gets a good response and the story becomes old enough that it's not going to really attract very many new readers to the sites where it's posted, but might find an entirely new audience through KU, then there's really nothing wrong with beginning to split it up. It's an issue of compensation.

So the question becomes does someone deserve to be compensated for the efforts that they put in? The correct answer is always going to be that it's up to the writer to decide.
Nah it ain't so simple. They have completely different opinions on what this site should be used for. Honestly I think both of their opinions are immature and dumb but it's unlikely either one of them can be convinced over a RR thread. Just let them bicker in peace. I'm honestly more interested in the cop joke and why this guy is taking 10+ to write a decent story.

Maybe he's on that R.R. Martin grind :)

M.J. Wrote:
Mx.Writer Wrote:
Geeze Wrote: Yair, I think you two are just having a simple difference of opinion.  BB is simply saying that if a writer chooses to offer his or her product for free and gets a good response and the story becomes old enough that it's not going to really attract very many new readers to the sites where it's posted, but might find an entirely new audience through KU, then there's really nothing wrong with beginning to split it up. It's an issue of compensation.

So the question becomes does someone deserve to be compensated for the efforts that they put in? The correct answer is always going to be that it's up to the writer to decide.
Nah it ain't so simple. They have completely different opinions on what this site should be used for. Honestly I think both of their opinions are immature and dumb but it's unlikely either one of them can be convinced over a RR thread. Just let them bicker in peace. I'm honestly more interested in the cop joke and why this guy is taking 10+ to write a decent story.

Maybe he's on that R.R. Martin grind :)
Bro, I'm gonna need to tell you to fucking chill. U did not need to fuck this dude and R.R Martin that bad, like damn. lol. 

BB Wrote:
Geeze Wrote: BB was facetiously implying that Yair was in an abusive relationship and lying about how he was receiving his injuries to the police in order to protect his abuser.

*Shrug* I was simply expanding his earlier metaphor about how readers were like girlfriends.

And again, my gripe was entirely about those who hate on an author for choosing to profit from their work. This 
emperor Wrote: then people like you came here.
just another fking greedy author that want to make profit from something that is freely available, and ruining the community.

This whole attitude  of 'anyone that dares to expect to be appreciated for their writing, or hopes to use it to pay rent is evil' attitude, like some kind of third-rate KGB ranting about evil capitalists thing goes so far beyond over-the-top that it's simply amusing.

Writers have been doing it as a career since Aristotle. Everyone has to pay rent, and acting like you were some sort of old guard protecting the pristine artistic vision against mercantile monsters is a fine attitude for someone that doesn't have to worry about buying food.

Writers that make it, who get to the big show, should be applauded, not made into a villain. Even if they don't bother looking back. Remember 'Good Will Hunting'?

Heck, the whole title of the thread should be "Another Story makes it to Kindle!" Not grumbling about one being 'lost'. It is nothing but a good thing, even if they don't bother to wave to the people who silently lurk before they go. Expecting more is simple hypocrisy. There is nothing wrong with people making a self-supporting job out of what they love doing.
Yo, if you gonna duke it out (Please do, this is very fun.) at least let me get the popcorn. 

BB Wrote:
Geeze Wrote: BB was facetiously implying that Yair was in an abusive relationship and lying about how he was receiving his injuries to the police in order to protect his abuser.

*Shrug* I was simply expanding his earlier metaphor about how readers were like girlfriends.

And again, my gripe was entirely about those who hate on an author for choosing to profit from their work. This 
emperor Wrote: then people like you came here.
just another fking greedy author that want to make profit from something that is freely available, and ruining the community.

This whole attitude  of 'anyone that dares to expect to be appreciated for their writing, or hopes to use it to pay rent is evil' attitude, like some kind of third-rate KGB ranting about evil capitalists thing goes so far beyond over-the-top that it's simply amusing.

Writers have been doing it as a career since Aristotle. Everyone has to pay rent, and acting like you were some sort of old guard protecting the pristine artistic vision against mercantile monsters is a fine attitude for someone that doesn't have to worry about buying food.

Writers that make it, who get to the big show, should be applauded, not made into a villain. Even if they don't bother looking back. Remember 'Good Will Hunting'?

Heck, the whole title of the thread should be "Another Story makes it to Kindle!" Not grumbling about one being 'lost'. It is nothing but a good thing, even if they don't bother to wave to the people who silently lurk before they go. Expecting more is simple hypocrisy. There is nothing wrong with people making a self-supporting job out of what they love doing.
Popcorn acquired, feel free to go at it now.

BB Wrote:
Mx.Writer Wrote: Yo, if you gonna duke it out (Please do, this is very fun.) at least let me get the popcorn.

Naww. I just hate people putting words in my mouth. I am happy someone made it to the big show.

I am absolutely positive that the people who run this site are happy to get paid for doing so. They need to pay rent and feed their family too, even if back in the (My grandnephew is older than this site) supposedly it was run like a commune for starving artists.

I love artists, I don't want them to starve. And if they can make it, good for them. They shouldn't have to starve for their hobby, and should not be villainized for being 'insufficiently grateful' to the great anon that happened to stand by and watch while they struggled to succeed.

Does a gladiator need an audience? Absolutely. Is it the audience that helps them win or lose a fight on the bloody sands? Absolutely not. They just want to see blood on the sand, they don't care whose it is. That is not their job. There are plenty more decent stories here to read.
Boring, I didn't bring out my popcorn for empathy mate.