Most Active Time for Royal Road?

As is with any platform, there are dry streaks and well, wet streaks (I don't like how that sounds...)

Basically, what time of the year is reserved as "the season with the most traffic" - The season where the most amount of people come on to read?

For me there have been months where'd I'd get a huge jump in readership, then there'd be months where I'd hardly get a single new view. Thing is, I can't really remember what months were what, so I can't get an accurate conclusion from my own experiences.

Re: Most Active Time for Royal Road?

I don't think you can tell from any one story. The admin probably can see trends. 

But there's the assumption that even if there is a best time of the year, you can take advantage of it somehow. I think a story will be more affected by a lot of other things.

Everything is in flux now. I'd guess there was a lot more reading going on during covid when everyone had more time. And less right now in the holidays.

MikanSensei Wrote: there are dry streaks and well, wet streaks (I don't like how that sounds...)

I'd consider paying money to never see that sentence again.

There are real-life happenings that exacerbate online trends as well. In addition to NaNoWriMo & and the Writathon, it's a major holiday week for a lot of people in the US--so lots of travel time, more time preparing and dealing with seeing family, less free time. And those that aren't taking time off work to prep for holidays are working overtime and even harder to try and keep up with the influx of customers. For university students, finals are right around the corner.

I usually watch my colleagues in sales, because I have no concept of time (as there isn't much of a weather difference month by month where I live). Whenever they're bored is usually when everyone else is busy and I can expect a lull in my internet-life. Then, I usually realize, "Oh! It's the end of the year when everyone goes insane!" and it all makes sense.

Illhark Wrote: right now writathon is taking place, royal road's annual competition thingy to write a ton of words in a short period of time. the site is inundated with content during this time of the year so it's normal for viewership to slow
Ah, basically the answer I was expecting. I guess that's just even more motivation to keep on writing so I can greet the people returning with a nice long story!

The Wrote: I don't think you can tell from any one story. The admin probably can see trends. 

But there's the assumption that even if there is a best time of the year, you can take advantage of it somehow. I think a story will be more affected by a lot of other things.

Everything is in flux now. I'd guess there was a lot more reading going on during covid when everyone had more time. And less right now in the holidays.
Right, covid always escapes my memory. I always forget that it still affects all sorts of things around the world. Dunno how though, it's probably an odd thing to forget...

Aly Wrote:
MikanSensei Wrote: there are dry streaks and well, wet streaks (I don't like how that sounds...)

I'd consider paying money to never see that sentence again.

There are real-life happenings that exacerbate online trends as well. In addition to NaNoWriMo & and the Writathon, it's a major holiday week for a lot of people in the US--so lots of travel time, more time preparing and dealing with seeing family, less free time. And those that aren't taking time off work to prep for holidays are working overtime and even harder to try and keep up with the influx of customers. For university students, finals are right around the corner.

I usually watch my colleagues in sales, because I have no concept of time (as there isn't much of a weather difference month by month where I live). Whenever they're bored is usually when everyone else is busy and I can expect a lull in my internet-life. Then, I usually realize, "Oh! It's the end of the year when everyone goes insane!" and it all makes sense.
Haha, apologies! I wrote the original post last night at around 4AM, so I was a bit woozy.

Indeed, there are all sorts of factors that come into play, each rolling the ball that bit differently. In the end, who knows where that ball will end up. Thing is I'm planning on buying an ad space on here someday soon, so I really wouldn't wanna do that during a period when no one even checks RR.

James Wrote: I think with ads you are paying for a number of exposures, so it probably doesn't matter if you post it at a busy time or not.  The ad will show up the same number of times, right?
Fair point. I didn't know that's how it worked, but upon further research it appears so.

Still interested on which month is the most active though. Guess I'll have to keep track myself for the future. I think there was a way to check your growth chart if you had author premium, but for now I'll do it the old fashioned way

Cymas Wrote: I would guess summer is probably more active with all the kids out of school and looking for something to do over vacation. Wouldn't sweat it too much either way; the best time to focus on growing your audience is always. Less traffic is never no traffic, and there will always be opportunities for those who seek it out.
You always have the best wisdom, Cymas. Thanks for always being such a gigachad! peoYes