Wrote a book, never posted on the forum. HI!

Hi everyone, Warby Picus here.  I wrote To The Far Shore, a post-post-post apocalyptic adventure story, and am currently writing Sinews of War.  I got hooked on webnovels years ago, and have always enjoyed writing.  When I started getting burned out on a lot of the very generic offerings, I decided to write my own.  My preferred approach to writing is to make the world as real and as lived in as possible, then set a "What if-" question to get the ball rolling.  

For example, you may know that in roughly 100% of xianxia fiction, some clan/sect/government has merit/contribution points which can be exchanged for goods and services.  Exactly like normal money, but its currency you can only spend with them.  This makes it functionally no different to company script from the bad old days, where miners got paid with phony money they could only spend at the company store.  Most stories just breeze past that point.  For me, that's a key part of the world.  

Your MC lives in a world where even the mega powerful enlightened whoevers see nothing wrong with locking their employees in a hugely exploitative system.  How does it feel for your MC to go on a harrowing adventure, watch good people die and be rewarded with Delta Miles?  Knowing that if he tries to escape, he will be branded a traitor, tracked down, and either crippled or killed for daring to work for someone else.  How does that system of exploitation impact the economies between the sects?  How does the lack of inter-generational wealth transfer impact life in a world where some people routinely live for hundreds or thousands of years? 

There are a lot of really fun novels that don't go that deep or hard into their worldbuilding, of course.  The story has to be about the story, not about the author's six volume story bible.  Show, don't tell, remains very good general advice.  But my writing ethos is to create characters and worlds that are as real as I can make them, set the "What if-" and write down what comes as a result.

It has been a lot of fun. Most of the commenters and reviewers have been really positive, so I thought it was past time I got active on the forums.  

So... Hi everyone!   

Re: Wrote a book, never posted on the forum. HI!

Warby Wrote: For example, you may know that in roughly 100% of xianxia fiction, some clan/sect/government has merit/contribution points which can be exchanged for goods and services.  Exactly like normal money, but its currency you can only spend with them.  This makes it functionally no different to company script from the bad old days, where miners got paid with phony money they could only spend at the company store.  Most stories just breeze past that point.  For me, that's a key part of the world.  

Your MC lives in a world where even the mega powerful enlightened whoevers see nothing wrong with locking their employees in a hugely exploitative system.  How does it feel for your MC to go on a harrowing adventure,
Hey I love exploring those types of things too. You will find much more of it more in traditional books, but nobody says you can't write a web novel like it's back in the 1950s.  Web fiction is kinda like pulp fiction back then I think.