Re: One Line of Advice

Ralts Wrote: Read a fucking book.

And not necessarily the modern stuff.

Go back to the old "problematic" literature.

Anyone that says the Old White Men of yesteryear can't teach you anything is probably functionally illiterate and has never read any of them.
Tolkien, Lovecraft, Dickens. My god could these guys use words and build sentences. 

Smuts Wrote:

Anyone that says the Old White Men of yesteryear can't teach you anything is probably functionally illiterate and has never read any of them.
Tolkien, Lovecraft, Dickens. My god could these guys use words and build sentences.
Old White Women weren't half bad either. Jane Austen gets dismissed as a "romance author" and "a bore", but anyone who would like a slice of life scene done right should use her as a guide on how to make astute, biting observations about their peers. 
And talking about acerbic and astute writers, you should never disappear Ursula Le Guin. Her writing technique is also extraordinary - she needs three phrases and hits the nail on its head, where lesser authors would spend three pages and never get to the point. 

a_cornerstone Wrote:
Smuts Wrote:

Old White Women weren't half bad either. Jane Austen gets dismissed as a "romance author" and "a bore", but anyone who would like a slice of life scene done right should use her as a guide on how to make astute, biting observations about their peers. 
And talking about acerbic and astute writers, you should never disappear Ursula Le Guin. Her writing technique is also extraordinary - she needs three phrases and hits the nail on its head, where lesser authors would spend three pages and never get to the point.

Oh, absolutely.

Reading Frankenstein should be mandatory too.

Of course. But a lot of writers on RR have a problem specifically with those. You'll see even some of the most popular writers on the site use them a half a dozen or more times in one chapter. It's especially noticeable because they're redundant. The default assumption is what is written on the page is true. They quickly stop emphasizing and become a repetitive annoyance.

I'd recommend using them even less than that. But not more than once a chapter is a good start. Ctrl + F or sites/software to get around editing blindness is your friend.

Don't spend hours and hours learning how to write unless you're going to spend a longer amount of time writing. You should spend more time applying what you learn than learning it.
I used to watch hours of videos and read dozens of pages of articles on how to write minor details in my story, then put 200 words in a document and stop because I was overwhelmed at that point. I've recently stopped and it's made writing so much easier.