Reading your old stories

So I took a break from writing for a number of months and just went back to read my story from the beginning.

It had a lot of flaws, but honestly it was a lot of fun. There were parts I didn't remember writing at all, and it was like I was reading someone else's story some chapters.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What would it be like to read a full story you wrote years in the past?

Curious to hear how others see their past works. (Or maybe I just have the memory of a goldfish haha)

Re: Reading your old stories

TheRedNaz535 Wrote: So I took a break from writing for a number of months and just went back to read my story from the beginning.

It had a lot of flaws, but honestly it was a lot of fun. There were parts I didn't remember writing at all, and it was like I was reading someone else's story some chapters.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What would it be like to read a full story you wrote years in the past?

Curious to hear how others see their past works. (Or maybe I just have the memory of a goldfish haha)
At that point, it is a guilty pleasure. One in which must never see the light of day.  FancyDrakan

I read over my old fanfiction quite a lot, to similar effects. I don’t quite have enough original stories to read over those fondly; I’m less likely to enjoy looking over them. Sometimes I distinctly remember where I wrote the chapter (for some of my fanfiction, I can recall if I wrote the chapter on paper during school, and there was one chapter of another one that I wrote in the basement because a tornado watch/warning came around and being upstairs gave me anxiety), sometimes I can’t.

I’ve also written oneshots; I read over those more often. Especially the fluffy ones :P

While writing new stuff I'm in the constant process of editing old stuff and therefore I have to reread it.
It was hard when I picked up writing again after a long hiatus and started editing my first novel after around five years. Much telling instead of showing and other crimes, but stuff that surprised me as well. Today I'm more lenient towards my early works (and my younger self), as enough people showed up to tell me that they liked it when I couldn't anymore.