Any writer here attempted or has created multiple stories in an interconnected universe

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered if there are any weirdos out there like me who fantasize about having a legion of books with different casts and settings, but all exist in the same universe and eventually have crossovers.

Has anybody succeeded in doing that, or is trying to? Like the MCU or the Persona games?

Or maybe like Final Fantasy with main title entries in different worlds but sharing similar elements (power systems, monsters, etc.)

Man, it would be cool to pull off. Perhaps, someday! 

Does anybody have any ideas they'd like to share?

Re: Any writer here attempted or has created multiple stories in an interconnected universe

This is the part where I get very wiggly about plugging my books because they're exactly what you described -- all independent stories that eventually cross over into one another to create one big overarching plotline. It's a concept I fell in love with a long time ago, and sticking with it has been extremely fulfilling so far.

If you're thinking about creating an interconnected world, I highly highly recommend it if you enjoy expansive worldbuilding and character development. In my case, I adore space, aliens, and mystery, so I created a sci-fi galaxy where different species live independently on their own worlds. But the Overarching Plot™ causes them to slowly get dragged together, and seeing such different cultures and characters interact has been a very special experience.

Re: Any writer here attempted or has created multiple stories in an interconnected universe

In terms of small stories that all have a shared universe, the Fire Emblem series is an example; at least up to Fire Emblem Awakening, most games reference each other and a few take place in the same continent. I haven’t tried the idea myself, though—usually because I like antagonists that call for drastic measures, which means that I can’t really have two adventures going on in the same time. I’ve been considering making a distant sequel to Gin and Kuro (in the sense that it’s the same universe, but hundreds or thousands of years later), but that’s still up for debate.

I can’t think of any tips off the top of my head other than fact-checking notes and history—making sure you have all of the information right. If a nation’s leader is killed off in one story, other stories have to reflect that. That’s pretty simple, though ^.^’

Good luck in your endeavors! Especially if you can do it.

I utilize the multiverse in my stories. I have a time traveling anti-vampire faction that jumps between universes to wreak havoc, and repeat the cycle over and over.
I'm going to eventually work on a collection of shorts where it may be under threat of that faction entering it though they won't always be a focus.

The multiverse is there, but for the Matriarch's story it won't delve into it too much.

I've also been toying with the idea of linking the story I'm working on right now to one or two other projects that are completely separate, by having them take place in the same universe (although they're separated by a few hundred years each I can still reference small things from other stories that carry over.)  Because I realized I create way too many separate projects for myself. So I decided it might help other projects in various ways if new projects had links to existing or future ones. This way I could trim down the six or seven individual universes I've created to maybe three or four and share unique physics properties or other unique traits to reduce the workload of having to create brand new rules for everything from scratch every time as well as transferring a little good mojo between them.

I actually already started this with a short comic I did a long time ago by having the main character of a novel I was writing recently be the brother of a supporting character from a separate comic I did. Although I'm taking a break to fix a few issues with that novel, the relationship between the two brothers allows me to pull across some of the ideas and lore that didn't fit into the comic to add flavor to the parts of the novel I'm happy with. 

I’m doing that with my two series Goddess Chosen and Serendipity. The idea is for them to be separate until certain arcs and the endgame while the seeds are layed sutely in each series arc.

I’ll admit it’s very complicated but I have a solid idea in how to pull it off. Just need to keep chipping away at both for years until I reach the convergence points.

I'm planning on making an interconnected universe for my stories, though of course i only have the first so far. This one I'm working on now is going to span multiple books especially since it covers a major 'arc' or event in the world's history, that being a world war of sorts. 

While the other stories I have planned don't deviate much in terms of timeline wise, besides a few stray ideas, they'll explore other parts of the world the main sequence of books don't cover, alongside origin stories or simply other tales involving major or minor characters from the main series of books that I enjoy or feel there is more to flesh out with, hero or villain alike.

I'm trying to convey a lore and history as deep as Elder Scrolls, which has been a main inspiration for both my world and my world's history, though I've barely conveyed that so far since I'm still "early" in the process of laying it out in book form (I've likely used many electronic trees worth of Google Docs to flesh out the world and its major people and places lol). 

MrNobodyisHome Wrote: Or maybe like Final Fantasy with main title entries in different worlds but sharing similar elements (power systems, monsters, etc.)

I do something like this. My WIP shares many elements and concepts with The Adventures of BLUE EAGLE, and they're both superhero stories. They don't take place in the same universe or continuity or anything like that, but there are shared elements between them. A sort of Batman / Teen Titans relationship.

mythdefiant Wrote: I tried setting my two stories in the same world, one in a historic, classic fantasy setting and the other in a futuristic, sci-fi dystopia. So far, the only connection is the magic system. In the upcoming arcs of both stories, I plan to make the MC's traverse the same general region of the world which should be fun.

Oh, that does sound like fun. Kinda sounds like how Final Fantasy does it. Good onya!

Illhark Wrote: This is the part where I get very wiggly about plugging my books because they're exactly what you described -- all independent stories that eventually cross over into one another to create one big overarching plotline. It's a concept I fell in love with a long time ago, and sticking with it has been extremely fulfilling so far.

If you're thinking about creating an interconnected world, I highly highly recommend it if you enjoy expansive worldbuilding and character development. In my case, I adore space, aliens, and mystery, so I created a sci-fi galaxy where different species live independently on their own worlds. But the Overarching Plot™ causes them to slowly get dragged together, and seeing such different cultures and characters interact has been a very special experience.

I am in love with the concept as well and will throw my hat into the ring, but for now I need to painstakingly focus on my singular story. 
Yours looks and sounds AMAZING! Hopefully, I will check it out someday!
PinkRose0106 Wrote: In terms of small stories that all have a shared universe, the Fire Emblem series is an example; at least up to Fire Emblem Awakening, most games reference each other and a few take place in the same continent. I haven’t tried the idea myself, though—usually because I like antagonists that call for drastic measures, which means that I can’t really have two adventures going on in the same time. I’ve been considering making a distant sequel to Gin and Kuro (in the sense that it’s the same universe, but hundreds or thousands of years later), but that’s still up for debate.

I can’t think of any tips off the top of my head other than fact-checking notes and history—making sure you have all of the information right. If a nation’s leader is killed off in one story, other stories have to reflect that. That’s pretty simple, though ^.^’

Good luck in your endeavors! Especially if you can do it.

Not looking for tips, just curious to poke into the head of our wonderfully inventive writers. 
Oh, and I will try! Thanks!

Zydrate Wrote: I utilize the multiverse in my stories. I have a time traveling anti-vampire faction that jumps between universes to wreak havoc, and repeat the cycle over and over.
I'm going to eventually work on a collection of shorts where it may be under threat of that faction entering it though they won't always be a focus.

The multiverse is there, but for the Matriarch's story it won't delve into it too much.

Cool!
Edge Wrote: Val is guilty of this.  FancyDrakan

All of my works are in the same universe. If there is one thing this has done, it really emphasizes how messed up it is.  DrakanFascinating
 Kuddos, Val!
placeintime Wrote: That's really difficult. Because you're going to have to do some foreshadowing or something like that to maybe tie the books together. Novel-wise, The only one that I've seen that did a crossover and tied it well is soul land.
 Challenge accepted!

luda305 Wrote:
Andur does this.

I see...

LegionOfReason Wrote: All of my stories are set in the same universe, but not all of them are set on the same worlds.
 Okay, kuddos to you!

TheRealAlpha2 Wrote: I've also been toying with the idea of linking the story I'm working on right now to one or two other projects that are completely separate, by having them take place in the same universe (although they're separated by a few hundred years each I can still reference small things from other stories that carry over.)  Because I realized I create way too many separate projects for myself. So I decided it might help other projects in various ways if new projects had links to existing or future ones. This way I could trim down the six or seven individual universes I've created to maybe three or four and share unique physics properties or other unique traits to reduce the workload of having to create brand new rules for everything from scratch every time as well as transferring a little good mojo between them.

I actually already started this with a short comic I did a long time ago by having the main character of a novel I was writing recently be the brother of a supporting character from a separate comic I did. Although I'm taking a break to fix a few issues with that novel, the relationship between the two brothers allows me to pull across some of the ideas and lore that didn't fit into the comic to add flavor to the parts of the novel I'm happy with.

I hope everything turns out good for you in the end!

Shounen Wrote: I’m doing that with my two series Goddess Chosen and Serendipity. The idea is for them to be separate until certain arcs and the endgame while the seeds are layed sutely in each series arc.

I’ll admit it’s very complicated but I have a solid idea in how to pull it off. Just need to keep chipping away at both for years until I reach the convergence points.

Will the endgame be in one of the books or will you create a whole new fiction for the endgame where you bring the worlds together?
Scribe Wrote: Doing this with the last book I wrote. Readers will have already met the MC's in my next ones. Being a romance I will not be posting it up on RR tho and definitely not the one about Colli finding his love. If romance is not liked - one with two guys will be detested. 

I will stick to my Gamelit here :)

Maybe just try for the heck of it? Lol

Bluelightning42 Wrote: Razzmatazz does this

Oh, so he is the author of that story I see advertised everywhere. Dungeon Item Shop looks fantastic btw. Too bad I had a similar concept for a book idea...

PatchyMcSlashy Wrote: I'm planning on making an interconnected universe for my stories, though of course i only have the first so far. This one I'm working on now is going to span multiple books especially since it covers a major 'arc' or event in the world's history, that being a world war of sorts. 

While the other stories I have planned don't deviate much in terms of timeline wise, besides a few stray ideas, they'll explore other parts of the world the main sequence of books don't cover, alongside origin stories or simply other tales involving major or minor characters from the main series of books that I enjoy or feel there is more to flesh out with, hero or villain alike.

I'm trying to convey a lore and history as deep as Elder Scrolls, which has been a main inspiration for both my world and my world's history, though I've barely conveyed that so far since I'm still "early" in the process of laying it out in book form (I've likely used many electronic trees worth of Google Docs to flesh out the world and its major people and places lol).

Sounds like lots of hard work... godspeed, brother.

Wyatt_Wriots Wrote: Besides writing here on occasion, I am a professional author. All of my main series novels are written in the same connected multiverse.
 Are they posted on RR?
Space Wrote: This is what I'm doing. Having a lot of fun but it's also a lot of work.

PICKLE!!!!!! 

Of course your stories are in an interconnected universe. Completely crossed my mind! Kitty Kitty is still my favorite story on this site. Keep being AWESOME!

SRo-se Wrote:
Space Wrote: This is what I'm doing. Having a lot of fun but it's also a lot of work.

Same. My story's part of a bigger series with the same power system but different implementations.

Oooooh! What is the power system like? I think I'll take this route.

TienSwitch Wrote:
MrNobodyisHome Wrote: Or maybe like Final Fantasy with main title entries in different worlds but sharing similar elements (power systems, monsters, etc.)

I do something like this. My WIP shares many elements and concepts with The Adventures of BLUE EAGLE, and they're both superhero stories. They don't take place in the same universe or continuity or anything like that, but there are shared elements between them. A sort of Batman / Teen Titans relationship.

Okay, okay, I dig it.