Re: How long have you been writing your story? and what is driving you? if anything at all...

I started writing Surviving the Arcanum about 2 weeks before I posted the first chapter.

This was intended to be a web serial from the start so it has the potential to go for a very long time provided it becomes and remains profitable. Because that's what drives me. I've always wanted to make a living from writing and well, I'm not getting any younger. I'm not trying to rush it, but if I don't get the level of readership and engagement I'm looking for I will likely drop it in favor of something else. It's not that I'm only driven by profit, but I'm not going to waste my time on a story that no one wants to read either.

Re: How long have you been writing your story? and what is driving you? if anything at all...

how long have you guys been writing your stories for?
Writing stories in general? A couple years, but they've never seen the light of day. The story I'm currently writing is 2 months old and counting. 
what reason have you made them as long, or as short as they are?
To paraphrase Gandalf a story should never be too long or too short - it should always be precisely the right length to tell its tale. Mine are no differant (but probablly still too long)
Have you rushed certain parts?
I have figured out how to make sure that when nothing is happeneing it happens very quickly. 
tried to cut off a story and make up a crappy ending just because you got bored of it?
I wish - that would be so much easier. I have published about 20 chapters on RR so far and I have another 20 written. 
have you continued on writing because you feel like you have all these ideas in your head that you want to keep writing down?
I think everyone does, don't they 
perhaps you are mindlessly writing chapters hoping that your long lived, however very feeble success carries on?
I have 9 readers... there is no success here - only obsession. 
are you scared that if you stop your current novel and start a new one, that you wont get as much attraction? 
I actually plan on starting a couple short series inthe near future to see if I can attract readers with something a bit closer to what the readers on RR enjoy. We'll see if it meets with any success. 

My primary drive is to finally complete a novel or series of novels after spending so many years just wish-washing my work and not completing anything past chapter 1. I aim to eventually publish my stuff after I get this first trilogy I have planned done and just bask in the accomplishment of at least doing that.

My secondary drive is to earn enough from my work to supplement the income my fiancé brings into the house. Either through an eventual patreon or from my published stuff.

I have a bit of a complicated answer - tl;dr: my writing speed is variable. 

I think I wrote the first 50k words on my novel in about a week - though I wasn't doing anything else at the time. It was 2019, I had just moved to a new town, I didn't have a job yet, I didn't know anyone locally and couldn't really meet people until I could afford to go out and do stuff. 

I also didn't have anyone to read and critique my draft - I tried asking friends, but I think only one person even opened the dropbox link (not their fault, all my friends love fantasy and sci-fi so drama in a realistic modern setting was a hard sell), so I just sort of let it sit until one of my aunties said she'd have a look... in 2020. She gave me a bit of helpful critique (thanks auntie!), I did a bit of editing, then I ran out of motivation to continue after about a month, editing for a few hours at a time. I realised I didn't really have the confidence to shop it around to publishers, so I was probably asking too much to send the revised draft back to my auntie and ask for more critique.

Since then I've occasionally remembered that it was there, gone back, done a little bit of proofreading and editing, then stopped because it seemed like a waste of time if I wasn't going to do anything with it. 

Now? It's like 70k words, and I'm publishing it here in chunks as I rework the awkward bits and do final edits. 

If I cut out all the time when I wasn't working on it, it's probably only been two months worth of full-time work. In real time, it's taken something like 3 years.

I write fiction a lot faster than non-fiction - at uni it'd take me a week to complete a 2000 word essay. Other students were faster - some would do their essay the day it was due, but I couldn't do that. I'd work on it every day for a full week. Most of that time was spent researching and meticulously referencing stuff. If you're currently at uni OMG REFERENCE PROPERLY. You lose so many marks when you fail to reference. It's tedious, but DO IT.

When I write D&D campaign material, I'm fast, but not as fast as with regular fiction. I have to keep checking my notes and making sure I didn't forget the ridiculous thing my players did three weeks ago that would make this random npc have a wildly different opinion of them. The note checking takes a while, but so long as I'm keeping good notes, it doesn't take forever. Probably 2000 words in two to three days, though these words aren't written to be read, they're written to help me remember what's going to happen. There's zero polish there.

The bigger issue is consistency - I couldn't have kept writing at the pace of 50k words per week. Edits needed to happen, and editing is a lot slower than writing. If I found employment as a full time writer, I'd still go through huge spurts of productivity followed by long periods of very little happening in my word count as I went back and reworded stuff for clarity, fixed errors, and generally made things nicer. First drafts are easy. Final drafts take time and effort. Don't feel bad if you're dropping to only 1000 words at a 'ready to publish' level per day, week, or even month. It just means you're putting more time and effort into getting it done right. If it's what you need to make your final story shine, it's what you need to do. It's a good thing :)

Been writing for about five years now, but haven't actually considered doing anything with it or going online until about a year ago. Was mostly just writing for myself. I enjoy escapism, that's why I enjoyed reading a lot. At some point reading other people's worlds just wasn't enough for me, needed to make my own the way I like it. I guess that's my main drive.

I really enjoy making my world and story. Immersion is insanely important to me to the point I've created fictional languages, religions, and cultures... I'm a little insane honestly, and it's all about escapism really... 

Uploading it... now that's something I was very hesitant to do. I was really against the idea at first, I'm an extreme introvert. But I do work on getting out of my shell so I've decided to go with it as a self improvement thing. Had a bit of a word count game with a few people in my family who urged me to upload, and they kind of won that one...

If anyone happen to enjoy my work, or if I end up making money off it, all the better. I do want to succeed, but succeeding also scares me... A comfort spot in the middle that makes a little bit of money would be really nice... 

If I accidentally happen to reach the top which I highly doubt... I'll just have to work harder on getting out of my shell... And I can always take a step back or a break if I can't take it. 

Nonless1 Wrote: i used to write like three or four 1k word chapters a day, however i stopped and I'm now down to one. (and although my story isn't super long) I'm almost near the halfway mark with around 32 chapters.

I used to write 8-12 hours a day on average. I had crazy days of 14+ hours too... back when I was writing for myself. 
Now it's about 3 hours a day on average. There are burn out days that I don't write a thing, and hype days that I reach 10 hours as well... 
I don't exactly measure in words though... 

Both the idea of uploading online, editing, and having other people view my work, took away some of the fun. Had long burnout for a few months twice. One when I received my first bad critique. 
But... I couldn't stay away from the world I created, so I ended up going back. In hindsight that bad critique did help me build some backbones to receive other critics calmly. 

Nonless1 Wrote: how long have you guys been writing your stories for? and for what reason have you made them as long, or as short as they are?

All of them, the answer is above. The one I've started uploading now... about 2-3 years ish. I plan to have it last as long as I can. I personally prefer really long stories that stretch over a long time, over short ones. And since I'm my own first reader, I prefer reading and writing long ones. 

Nonless1 Wrote: Have you rushed certain parts? maybe even tried to cut off a story and make up a crappy ending just because you got bored of it? or have you continued on writing because you feel like you have all these ideas in your head that you want to keep writing down?

Yes to the first one, I tend to... skip to the action sometimes, instead of hanging on in the same spot. My first 8 chapters are like that, and it might put some readers off... But some may like it, like anything else, everyone like different things for different reasons. 

No to the second one. I continue on writing because I want to know how it ends... xD I'm a 99% pantser writer, I have no idea where my story goes. It's just fun to discover it as I go. I sometimes even added scenes when I edited my work... I do make sure they don't conflict with what comes later though. 

Nonless1 Wrote: perhaps you are mindlessly writing chapters hoping that your long lived, however very feeble success carries on? are you scared that if you stop your current novel and start a new one, that you wont get as much attraction?

Didn't reach that point, I barely started uploading my first work after a long and tiring editing period that will probably never end. xD I do get better at editing with time though, might not be such a chore in a year... 

Hope it sated your curiosity. And thanks for making that post. 
For me it's both getting out of my shell, and a bit of advertisement. 
So it's a win win. xD