Were any of your books inspired by video games?

Even if it's just a tiny detail. I want to hear how love of video games inspired some stories! This forum is so dead when it comes to actual video game discussion and that really depresses me. This is Royal Road, the land of LitRPGs! So put aside the silly forum games and let's talk about video games! 

For me, the first story I ever finished (the one I've posted on here) was hugely HUGELY inspired by Kingdom Hearts. Like, if it wasn't for me playing that game I don't think I would have come up with the story or even started writing seriously at all. Something about that game, the battle between light and dark, the never ending power of friendship babble... it really struck a chord with younger me and got my imagination brewing. I started coming up with stories and it became too much for my brain to hold so I started writing them down. The rest is history. 

And ever since then, so many of my stories have game inspirations. One story has Choose Your Own Adventure Dating Sim like elements. My newest story I'm working on is a a LitRPG (big surprise there) but the original idea came to me after hyping up Wreck it Ralph for so long and then being devastated when there was only one half of a love letter to video games and the other half was just candy references 😅 

What about you guys? What are the video games that inspired you? :) 

Re: Were any of your books inspired by video games?

bulgariansumo Wrote: One episode of my story is heavily inspired by Touhou's game mechanics. It originally started out as a Touhou-esque script thing that I made for fun, but then I fleshed it out and made it canon to my story.

Wow, that's so cool!!! Your story seems really neat, you use the concept of Episodes really seriously compared to other stories I've read on here. 

I haven't played Touhou but I've wanted to for a long time. Shumps in general I've been meaning to get more into. 

Haust Wrote: I think most things I write has at least a little bit of Brutal Legend in it. I loved its sense of humor and axes and metal just makes everything a little better.

Omg, seriously?? I love Brutal Legend! I need to play it again, on PS3 I got the pretty infamous glitch that made it so you couldn't beat the game so I've never seen the ending :( 

I love Tim Schafer, dude is a genius. And I cant believe I forgot it until now, but my main big series I work on is hugely inspired by Psychonauts. When i played that game it really clicked in my head how much I loved Psychic powers. Have a whole 6+ book series planned because of that game :) 

wiserthanthou Wrote:
Haust Wrote: I think most things I write has at least a little bit of Brutal Legend in it. I loved its sense of humor and axes and metal just makes everything a little better.

Omg, seriously?? I love Brutal Legend! I need to play it again, on PS3 I got the pretty infamous glitch that made it so you couldn't beat the game so I've never seen the ending :( 

I love Tim Schafer, dude is a genius. And I cant believe I forgot it until now, but my main big series I work on is hugely inspired by Psychonauts. When i played that game it really clicked in my head how much I loved Psychic powers. Have a whole 6+ book series planned because of that game :)
NOOOOOOOOOO what, go finish playing it, it's on PC too. 

I... may have nerded a little too hard about Brutal Legend. To the point where, when I ran out of things to do in it, I spent a weeks worth of evenings traveling the map and studying the flora. (The amount of detail put into very tiny and easily passable one-off art assets that has no bearing on anything at all except aesthetics is quite something.) I still grieve the sequel that never was. 

Psychonauts is great. I haven't had a gaming console for a while so I haven't played the sequel yet but it's for sure near the top of my list of what to do first when I finally buy myself a PC. 

Haust Wrote:
wiserthanthou Wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOO what, go finish playing it, it's on PC too. 

I... may have nerded a little too hard about Brutal Legend. To the point where, when I ran out of things to do in it, I spent a weeks worth of evenings traveling the map and studying the flora. (The amount of detail put into very tiny and easily passable one-off art assets that has no bearing on anything at all except aesthetics is quite something.) I still grieve the sequel that never was. 

Psychonauts is great. I haven't had a gaming console for a while so I haven't played the sequel yet but it's for sure near the top of my list of what to do first when I finally buy myself a PC.

I own it already! Been meaning to install it on my Steam Deck. Portable Brutal Legend is gonna be glorious 😭 I'll have to install it today now!! 

Dude, I did that too! Even though I couldn't advance the story, I still explored a LOT. It was super upsetting to me, I did EVERYTHING I could think of to get it to work. I even begged on the Double Fine forums for them to fix it haha. 

I played the first level of the new one... and quit. I made a gaming channel in the lead up to the sequel coming out so I played Psychonauts 1 in the span of like a week or so. I kind of burnt myself put trying to beat the game before 2 so it just sort of soured it for me. But damn was the first level ever amazing. I really gotta get back to that, too. 

Very, very much so. The mechanics behind my demons and angels are under heavy influence from the Diablo franchise. I imagine Tiwa's demon form to look very similar to Diablo's form in the third game, because it's more sleek and feminine. If I ever get art commissioned for it, I'd just end up linking multiple photos of Diablo's form in that, and just be like "this, but make it different somehow?"

Everything else is kind of a mishmash.

My Shadowcrest lore is influenced a bit by The Darkness but I eventually tweaked it enough to make it my own. I also had the idea of a shadow-being before I ever knew about it, but once I played the games they did inform some of the style.

I also once had an alien race inspired by the Covenant from Halo, even 'cleverly' named them "The Gathering" but they were retconned out once I chose to focus on The Matriarch. They probably still exist in my lore somewhere as a collective of races that tangled with the Vanguard (the opposing force in my story) but they're not relevant from the various perspectives.

Diablo is probably the biggest influence.

wiserthanthou Wrote: Wow, that's so cool!!! Your story seems really neat, you use the concept of Episodes really seriously compared to other stories I've read on here. 

I haven't played Touhou but I've wanted to for a long time. Shumps in general I've been meaning to get more into.

Thanks! Glad you think so!
That's how I started off with Touhou. It was one of the first shmups I saw and really sparked my interest in the genre, but I didn't really know where or how to get Touhou games so I could play them. I'm glad I finally did! 

The only thing that was inspired by a game are the chanters in my stories. Aka, the magic users.

Tales of the Abyss is my favorite JRPG of all times. And I really, really like the story in that game.

Tear Grant is one of the healers and she is what the game calls a fontist. She uses the power of fontic hymns as artes as they cal them in game which are just spell.

I was so in love with an idea of a magic user that uses hymns and singing as a way to perform magic. I it tucked it in my mind to use in a future world and story. And soon after I started planning my current project, chanters were soon born.

LJ Wrote: The only thing that was inspired by a game are the chanters in my stories. Aka, the magic users.

Tales of the Abyss is my favorite JRPG of all times. And I really, really like the story in that game.

Tear Grant is one of the healers and she is what the game calls a fontist. She uses the power of fontic hymns as artes as they cal them in game which are just spell.

I was so in love with an idea of a magic user that uses hymns and singing as a way to perform magic. I it tucked it in my mind to use in a future world and story. And soon after I started planning my current project, chanters were soon born.

Omg, you like Tales of the Abyss?? That one is so underrated. I've had a hard time with the Tales games, I enjoy them but none of them really grabbed me. But Abyss? Damn was that ever a good one. Then I go online to find that everyone hates the main character 😅 his character growth is amazing though. I really need that game to get a modern port, it sucks that its stuck on PS2 and 3DS, and as rare games too I'm pretty sure. 

JustGoDie Wrote:
wiserthanthou Wrote:
Shounen Wrote: All my books are inspired by video games, particularly JRPGs. My big inspirations are Final Fantasy, Halo, Destiny and Xenoblade.

That's awesome! I can totally imagine what your stories must be like from all those :) Have you played the new Xenoblade yet? I havent gotten it yet, seems awesome though, I've played all the others, even X!
I've been playing through Xeno 3 and its great, especially the story. Def feel inspired to include a reference or something like that somewhere in my book.

That's great to hear the story is good!! How does it compare to the first games story? That one is still my favorite out of the series.

The book I have on here is greatly inspired by the Sonic Adventure games. There's some Jet Set Radio in there too. High-energy urban feel and over the top plots built around character.

Then there are of course the JRPGs. Persona is probably the clearest one for me currently, but I don't really know how you could play through something like FF7 or DQ11 without getting brain blast after brain blast as a writer. Something maybe a little more out there might also be Paper Mario and the Thousand-Year Door, whose influence I can't pin-point exactly but which has been really affecting to me when it comes to my speculative fiction more broadly, so there's also bound to be some of that.