It makes me sad

When I read posts - like that of (bad ratings) rising stars recently and many others over the past weeks

It makes me sad because I do think at least some of the time it will be other authors - if not directly then through friends etc. Most of the time it will be critical readers.

The thing is (I tried to point in the thread - not well I admit in reading it back), all authors here contribute to the community and diversity. It is what makes it the place for readers to come. Authors can decide to go elsewhere - then what? It hurts the site and that in turn hurts the quality and amount of material for readers - it is self-defeating in many ways. If the vast amount of stories are not available - readers will have lost a bloody good place to indulge their love of genres they love.

It will not change all attacks on popular works (if at all) but I look at an issue and like to think of possible solutions. Not sure how much it will help but.

1. As part of marketing - discuss how self-defeating attacks on work can be. How readers can limit available material and how this hurts only themselves. It will not just be in relation to RR tho - but a general sweep of such things. Not sure how much it will change the attitude - but it is a good point to write about for articles. 

2. Many people think ratings (which to be fair you can do well on this by review swaps anyway from what has been said) and getting into top positions on RR is key to success. In some ways it will be - but what is the actual goal here? Usually, it is about making money. Those two things do not necessarily align.

I am going on a mad experimental marketing campaign for a project which will likely fail. I need experience and I want to know what works - when I do this for books. I will write about my experiences and what I feel works/ do not work and why. 

I am going to record every step of my journey. From decisions and why I reach them. Inner conflict, joy, and pain. 3 stories = The scribe's story, Deimos's story, and Joe's story. All separate - but interconnectedly woven. Hahah I do like a challenge.

Once Damon is finished and removed = all which will be left for a while will be a single chapter (already posted), while I work on the many varied aspects needed to put my creative possess into motion. I will put - coming soon on it and update the blurb and leave it in the void.

So now is the time to tell me = 

I am crazy,
I am overreaching
I should stick to a simple idea
It will not work
what drugs am I taking

or anything else which comes to mind :)))

Re: It makes me sad

Quote:I am going on a mad experimental marketing campaign for a project which will likely fail. I need experience and I want to know what works - when I do this for books. I will write about my experiences and what I feel works/ do not work and why. 

What do you mean when you say you have a "mad experimental marketing campaign?"

Kennit Wrote:
Quote:I am going on a mad experimental marketing campaign for a project which will likely fail. I need experience and I want to know what works - when I do this for books. I will write about my experiences and what I feel works/ do not work and why. 

Good question - beyond the norm = articles.

Okay - I have no access to the influencers usually used for this purpose - it is also for free work - so not going to offer giveaways. So interviews and other ways through streaming/ gaming community = a  story about a game (could possibly work), could also be mad to think gamers want to read and not actually play lol

Going to a lot of time and effort to write articles and establish (possibly only small scale), a base drawn from said interviews and articles. Gaining excitement about the story by interactive means. 

Mainly (mad) for effort towards a free piece of work - but hopefully paving the way for other future stories which I will hopefully earn from.

Paradoxcloud Wrote: I'd be surprised if even 5% of the authors on RR have ever visited the forums.

Everyone here represents a very very small proportion of RR's userbase.

Yes, could be part of the issue too. You would think they would want to keep up with developments in a place they use. My heart just goes out to all it has happened to.
All of the above - except for the actual story will be done off-site anyway so highly doubtful it will be helpful. 

Paradoxcloud Wrote: I'd be surprised if even 5% of the authors on RR have ever visited the forums.

Everyone here represents a very very small proportion of RR's userbase.
And the forums are very author heavy, the percent of the reader user base that visit the forums is smaller still.

So...I agree with you that a lot of the time negative reviews hurt author motivation rather than help it. 

I personally don't give reviews unless I feel it's 4-5 stars, or unless an author asks for an honest opinion/critique (which can be done in PMs rather than a public rating). This keeps me honest and means I'm not hurting anyone's self-esteem. 

Positivity matters.

The happier an author is and the more encouragement they receive the MORE they write. Writing is the best and fastest way to improve in my opinion, especially combined with time to self-reflect on past work.

We're all artists and we all get imposter syndrome, writer's blocks and experience blows to our confidence all the time, which can make us want to quit. 

You can tell an author what's wrong until you're blue in the face, but sometimes they just can't see it until they've either stepped back to gain perspective, or improved themselves and can compare their old work to their new work.

So yes, cheering each other on can do more good than  bad.

HOWEVER...

It's important to understand sooner rather than later that if you put your work online, you're allowing it to be judged. A thick skin is necessary, and confidence to know what reviews to listen to and what to ignore is a useful skill.

Reviews should be for the readers, not the authors (although this is obviously blurred on sites like RR). If you can't handle crictism, don't make your work public, or don't look at reviews period.

As for your marketing plan - regular published novels do something similar, where they put a sample of the next book at the back of the first and include a link to pre-order. 

I'm not sure this would be effective on RR, because a lot of people don't bother to read a story if it's a single chapter. 

Ratings/reviews help boost ranking which helps boost visibility by getting on rising stars and popular this week lists. From what I've seen, most of the time authors exchange reviews to help each other out. Sometimes this is in hopes to make money.

There is ZERO shame in wanting your art to be compensated.

We put a lot of hours into writing (not just the current books we are working on, but all our past work that got us to this level too). 

No one is less of a writer because they want to make a living doing it. That's a goal a lot of us have. I think it's a great dream.

"A rising tide lifts all ships."

Books are an awesome medium because readers can never have enough of them. They always want more. There's room in this market for everyone to succeed, and authors working together and sharing knowledge is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I'm not really understanding the rest of your marketing plan, so I can't comment on it. But if you elaborate I'd be happy to give my opinion.

Thanks for the post!

~Evan

Scribe Wrote:
Kennit Wrote:

Okay - I have no access to the influencers usually used for this purpose - it is also for free work - so not going to offer giveaways. So interviews and other ways through streaming/ gaming community = a  story about a game (could possibly work), could also be mad to think gamers want to read and not actually play lol

Going to a lot of time and effort to write articles and establish (possibly only small scale), a base drawn from said interviews and articles. Gaining excitement about the story by interactive means. 

Mainly (mad) for effort towards a free piece of work - but hopefully paving the way for other future stories which I will hopefully earn from.
So your "mad" marketing campaign is starting a blog and asking for streamers to shout out your story?

Quote:It's important to understand sooner rather than later that if you put your work online, you're allowing it to be judged. A thick skin is necessary, and confidence to know what reviews to listen to and what to ignore is a useful skill.

I know, I shall have to develop a thick skin going forward.

Quote:As for your marketing plan - regular published novels do something similar, where they put a sample of the next book at the back of the first and include a link to pre-order. 

I do intend for it all to come together at the same time. It will be left as coming soon because I want a good number of pre-chapters. I will have lots going on at the same time - so this is a must. And I have just returned to a story I thought was complete lol

I also need to write articles and do interviews. = This will be the scribe's story base. I also need a website and blog - currently being organized. I then need to establish on Twitter, medium,  and Reddit. many more besides. Creating a mix of fantasy and reality. 

Not the twitch side of things - but I am part of a large interactive social game network. Where we can create some of the games we play - my son is currently developing one around Deimos for discord. one of these will be based on/in the context of our favorite game (custom script) - the other game will take more time to fully think through.

Different but a good parallel to what I am thinking is a league of legends = You have the game. The characters all have complete backstories. A series was released on Netflix, featuring some - including Cait and Jinx = love Cait - the only ADC I like to play. (many fan fictions out there).

Any thoughts would be great :)

Kennit Wrote:
Scribe Wrote:
Kennit Wrote:

So your "mad" marketing campaign is starting a blog and asking for streamers to shout out your story?

Not quite = read above. and no not shout out the story. That will not bring anyone - (I do not think anyway). 'Did an interview on....' Their fans want to know about them - not some story.

Kennit Wrote: Are you planning on posting your story anywhere other than Royal Road? Because romance very rarely does well here.

Also, are you using google translate to write in English?

You are correct romance does not do well here. Do you ever look at anything before you make comments? Or just make assumptions?

Scribe Wrote:
Kennit Wrote: Are you planning on posting your story anywhere other than Royal Road? Because romance very rarely does well here.

Also, are you using google translate to write in English?

You are correct romance does not do well here. Do you ever look at anything before you make comments? Or just make assumptions?
I usually skim tbh