1 Week - 20k Words & 200 Views (Thoughts)

I've been writing my new story for a little over a week now. Just hit 20k words and 200+ total views. 3 followers, 3 ratings and 1 review (thank you kind strangers!)

I'm still a scrap of plankton in a big ocean, but I haven't written this much or this consistently in ages. 

It feels good.

To all the other small fish like me out there - it's easy to get caught up in the numbers, especially if you're following posts like 'running your story like a business' (which is superb advice, don't get me wrong). I see a lot of people disappointed at their story growth and I just want to say - please, please don't fall into that trap.

Write for yourself first.

There's lots of ways to make money writing, and a subscription based RR to Patreon model is only one of them.

I'm NOT saying don't think about your market or ignore advice. Depending on your goals, you should.

But if you don't enjoy writing anymore and want to give up on a cool story that you used to love because you're obsessing about views or followers (especially after a few days) - that's a problem.

I know a lot of self-pub authors and the #1 thing they have in common is that they DON'T stop writing.

So whether it's financial success, artistic improvement, or personal fulfillment - FINISHING your story and being able to write another matters more than if you're a breakout success in 4-8 weeks on RR.

My writing is not amazing, but it's getting better every day (and sometimes I write something really cool that surprises me). 

Even more importantly - I'm having FUN. Which counts for a whole lot when you're writing a long story.

So celebrate the small wins first, instead of making yourself miserable waiting for the big victories.

Writing can be art AND a business.

Find your balance.

~Evan

P.S - Displaying your art for the world to see is scary and stressful. So be kind to yourself (because the reviewers won't be) lol

Re: 1 Week - 20k Words & 200 Views (Thoughts)

Pillage Wrote:
Evan Wrote: I've been writing my new story for a little over a week now. Just hit 20k words
That's a lot of writing, nice!

Thank you!!

Gastoly Wrote: That's a huge amount of words for 1 week! Awesome job! 

It took me 2 months to get just barely shy of 50k so that work ethic of yours is quite respectable!  DrakanWine

Thanks! Honestly I just write fast (and I try to keep it simple. I don't get fancy with prose unless inspiration hits). I only spend a couple hours a day writing and doing a quick editing pass.

Re: 1 Week - 20k Words & 200 Views (Thoughts)

Evan Wrote:
Pillage Wrote:
Evan Wrote: I've been writing my new story for a little over a week now. Just hit 20k words
That's a lot of writing, nice!

Thank you!!

Gastoly Wrote: That's a huge amount of words for 1 week! Awesome job! 

It took me 2 months to get just barely shy of 50k so that work ethic of yours is quite respectable!  DrakanWine

Thanks! Honestly I just write fast (and I try to keep it simple. I don't get fancy with prose unless inspiration hits). I only spend a couple hours a day writing and doing a quick editing pass.

This is the way to do it. Glad to see you're working hard and enjoying the process!