Re: Artificially inflated five-star averages.

Jack0fheart Wrote:
Beverlyy Wrote:
GingerPanda404 Wrote:
Beverlyy Wrote: I'll defecate in your Fruit Loops in a minute
... Are you a teenager, 'cuz you're acting like my 16 yr old. 🤨 Grow up Love 👍🏻
Gosh you're so mature. I should be mature like you so I can be as successful--

Oh wait you're literally a nobody. My bad.
Has anyone ever told you that you have a very unpleasant personality?
All the time man. From reserved and respectable individuals such as yourself. Very impressive people. They seem to always blow me away with how interesting they are.

Esbe Wrote: My review has been deleted - as I expected.

Biggest, meanest critics complain about someone else stories, but can't take the ratings they are inflicting on others.

I feel like you have the wrong impression. I have publicly and privately thanked you for your honest review. It was appreciated, and I thought when I saw it was gone that perhaps you deleted it yourself.

I feel like I need to reiterate, my work SUCKS. It's bad, your 2.5 was a generous review, and I know it. But, it's the first thing I have written and it's a practice project to me so I appreciate the feedback and direction more than anything. Was my work better than the piece (that I notably did not name, or rate) that confused me for it's high average for perceived lack of merit? No, except for perhaps grammatically speaking I don't believe so, I wasn't comparing my work with anyone's. Please quote anywhere I have, so that I might understand how you feel I am worthy of such spite. 

Based on question I now feel ratings have no merit, and I'll find new stories based on synopsis and first chapter and ignore ratings entirely. The reasons people might give high merits for a work that arguably can't justify have been listed and understood.

If I somehow offended you and you think your behavior is the proper response, please feel free to reach out to me directly. I would love to get a further understanding of how it conspired so I might be more amicable in the future.

Biggest, meanest critics complain about someone else stories, but can't take the ratings they are inflicting on others.
If you want to fight the system, give everyone a 5-star rating, a follow, and a shining review if you are in the mood. 

Bombing people with bad reviews only help to propagate the issue.

Top stories get no impact from it, while it is grave for the bottom ones. Low profile story drops thousand in rank easily, while the top one loses nothing. Review bombing only makes the best stories more and more unassailable, as that's how the algorithm works. 

If you gave more people very good reviews, their stories would climb to the top breaking the established status quo. Only then someone will notice as current top stories are also money makers 

Jack0fheart Wrote:
GingerPanda404 Wrote:
Jebediah86 Wrote: And thank you for being so polite if direct, some folks are getting a little personal and outright mean once I began this discussion. I really appreciate your civility, it's been refreshing after some of the... stuff I've been getting in the last day or so.
Tbh, I've been wondering why so many people are acting like someone just defecated in their Fruit Loops. One would think as an individual new to the platform, simply asking a question wouldn't get so much backlash. *Smh* Instead it seems as some thought you were attacking them directly, imo. *shrug*
It's because there is a lot of accumulated resentment among authors on this site. Praise is a rare thing, you'll mostly get criticism on this website and people are annoyed that your rating is higher than they think it deserves. It's a sad reality of a subjective rating system. I don't like it, but I'm biased because it doesn't benefit me. One of my stories on a previous upload even got anonymous ratings disabled by Wing. She's great to deal with and very accommodating with alternative solutions. 

Authors get very defensive because of it. It's all too easy to be pushed into a low rating and take a hit to your confidence unless you have premium and can see that your 5* are 6x your 0.5* ratings. But readers don't know that and will mostly ignore a lower-rated story on Rising Stars. Or worse, try to downrate it so their favourite stories climb instead without realising it works differently to trending and tracks growth. I'm still firmly of the belief that RR can keep the 5star story rating, but the subjective system that's unique to everyone should be replaced with a simple "I like it" "I don't like it" like all large modern websites have

The only problem with the thumb up or down - is it's too subjective.

I still like a tick box system - tick at least 2 things + you liked and up to 3 areas (no more) you feel the author can improve on. The top points of both are listed for readers, to see and the number of people who gave. No emotion - no feelings of being attacked. Areas to improve and areas you did well. Feedback can be obtained in other ways.

I just think something like this would be fairer and not affect popular stories, or up-and-coming ones too badly. 

Negative things ticked by only a small percentage of those will not be taken into account.

Just my thoughts

OP has no ratings (besides 1 review) which make me think they have a harsh-rating account and this account to not incur any of the penalties of handing out harsh ratings. For someone to have such displeasure towards "fake" 5-star reviews I would think they'd been around long enough to give their own ratings. 

Quote:I feel like I need to reiterate, my work SUCKS. It's bad, your 2.5 was a generous review, and I know it. But, it's the first thing I have written and it's a practice project to me so I appreciate the feedback and direction more than anything. Was my work better than the piece (that I notably did not name, or rate) that confused me for it's high average for perceived lack of merit? No, except for perhaps grammatically speaking I don't believe so, I wasn't comparing my work with anyone's. Please quote anywhere I have, so that I might understand how you feel I am worthy of such spite.

Based on question I now feel ratings have no merit, and I'll find new stories based on synopsis and first chapter and ignore ratings entirely. The reasons people might give high merits for a work that arguably can't justify have been listed and understood.

This doesn't just apply to books. It applies to life. 

People who feel negative about something are more likely to review it. This includes products online and, yes, even jobs. Like the average rating of a job where I am is "2/5". People do not review positively of this crap, and the ones that do are probably alt accounts to incentivize people to buy a product or apply for a job.

Those are fake reviews.

A YouTuber/Vlogger also did a video on going to the lowest-rated restaurants in America. Half of them were perfectly fine. Some people just have it out for the owners. For example, GingerPanda, the account which was made an hour before posting on this thread and instantly favourited your book and a stub, 0.5d my book (which has been discontinued for a while now) because I said I would defecate in her Fruit Loops. That is the power and ease of use at people's disposal. 

Esbe Esi left a review. Is what it is. I don't think you reported it tbh. A community of people dislikes Esi for having an opinion that conflicts with their egos. They will probably report anything they upload out of petulant spite. 

But you are correct: the rating doesn't mean anything.

---

Your definition of "fake review" was just so undefined and overly opinionated that obviously you're going to annoy people with your sheer ignorance in asking the question in the first place. As others have noted, your question makes assumptions that you for some reason have no problem glazing over. You basically assumed any review that didn't share your opinion was fake. You didn't say it directly because you didn't have to. A fake review is saying something works perfectly when, in fact, that person never got the product. An alt trying to up the ratings. It's dishonest.

But like I said, it gets complicated. You have to stretch the truth because not a single critic on this platform can sum up what they feel about a story perfectly. There will literally be contradictions in people's thoughts, and they will have different views on everything they read. This is aside from pure "this sentence sounds weird" criticisms. 

I personally don't mind the 5* review swaps... Ultimately what it will do is make new stories more visible, and then the story will either sink or swim on its own merit.
Honestly, if I see a story with 3 reviews and it is five stars, I might check it out, but if it has three stars, I am more likely to skip it...

For myself, I'd rather receive detailed honest reviews (that are hopefully encouraging even if critical), though I'd hope that review swappers would round up for the benefit of early visibility and encouragement. (when I finally put my story up)

I'm more worried about new stories not seeing the light of day than "sub-par" stories receiving inflated ratings. 

I'll admit that I only like a small percentage of the stories on RR, but that is the beauty of the platform. We're all here for whatever specific thing we like. I can only really enjoy stories with less refined prose when I'm taking a break from writing or editing because my brain just grabs on to all the little things I'd change and then I can't see the forest through the trees. For that one reason, I would like there to be a little more accuracy/higher standard for what qualifies as good style/grammar. Like if you could Rate the grammar at 3 stars but check a box to discount that score from the total so you could still give the story a collective 5 stars because you personally loved it and weren't bothered.

That is my wish list.
Santa?

Jebediah86 Wrote: I feel like you have the wrong impression. I have publicly and privately thanked you for your honest review. It was appreciated, and I thought when I saw it was gone that perhaps you deleted it yourself.
My review has been deleted because I was "insulting the author" - though I am ready to admit that it may indeed be insulting, I assume that "insult" only counts if target is offended by it.

beast_regards Wrote: If you want to fight the system, give everyone a 5-star rating, a follow, and a shining review if you are in the mood.

Top stories get no impact from it, while it is grave for the bottom ones. Low profile story drops thousand in rank easily, while the top one loses nothing. Review bombing only makes the best stories more and more unassailable, as that's how the algorithm works.

If you gave more people very good reviews, their stories would climb to the top breaking the established status quo. Only then someone will notice as current top stories are also money makers
Perhaps I should do it.

Bomb random people with 5-stars instead.

Beverlyy Wrote: Esbe Esi left a review. Is what it is. I don't think you reported it tbh. A community of people dislikes Esi for having an opinion that conflicts with their egos. They will probably report anything they upload out of petulant spite.
I reviewed the couple of stories and generally left a decent rating on all of them, even 5-stars.

Due to previous experience, I wanted to try if my review gets deleted and indeed, it was deleted. I do admit bias, as I did stated in the review I would normally rate it 4 stars if it wasn't for this discussion.

Esbe Wrote:
Jebediah86 Wrote: I feel like you have the wrong impression. I have publicly and privately thanked you for your honest review. It was appreciated, and I thought when I saw it was gone that perhaps you deleted it yourself.
My review has been deleted because I was "insulting the author" - though I am ready to admit that it may indeed be insulting, I assume that "insult" only counts if target is offended by it.

beast_regards Wrote: If you want to fight the system, give everyone a 5-star rating, a follow, and a shining review if you are in the mood.

Perhaps I should do it.

Bomb random people with 5-stars instead.

Beverlyy Wrote: Esbe Esi left a review. Is what it is. I don't think you reported it tbh. A community of people dislikes Esi for having an opinion that conflicts with their egos. They will probably report anything they upload out of petulant spite.
I reviewed the couple of stories and generally left a decent rating on all of them, even 5-stars.

Due to previous experience, I wanted to try if my review gets deleted and indeed, it was deleted. I do admit bias, as I did stated in the review I would normally rate it 4 stars if it wasn't for this discussion.
If you state anything from outside the story, it's the easiest way to get a review deleted. Never admit to any bias 😂

Jack0fheart Wrote:
GingerPanda404 Wrote:
Jebediah86 Wrote: And thank you for being so polite if direct, some folks are getting a little personal and outright mean once I began this discussion. I really appreciate your civility, it's been refreshing after some of the... stuff I've been getting in the last day or so.
Tbh, I've been wondering why so many people are acting like someone just defecated in their Fruit Loops. One would think as an individual new to the platform, simply asking a question wouldn't get so much backlash. *Smh* Instead it seems as some thought you were attacking them directly, imo. *shrug*
It's because there is a lot of accumulated resentment among authors on this site. Praise is a rare thing, you'll mostly get criticism on this website and people are annoyed that your rating is higher than they think it deserves. It's a sad reality of a subjective rating system. I don't like it, but I'm biased because it doesn't benefit me. One of my stories on a previous upload even got anonymous ratings disabled by Wing. She's great to deal with and very accommodating with alternative solutions. 

Authors get very defensive because of it. It's all too easy to be pushed into a low rating and take a hit to your confidence unless you have premium and can see that your 5* are 6x your 0.5* ratings. But readers don't know that and will mostly ignore a lower-rated story on Rising Stars. Or worse, try to downrate it so their favourite stories climb instead without realising it works differently to trending and tracks growth. I'm still firmly of the belief that RR can keep the 5star story rating, but the subjective system that's unique to everyone should be replaced with a simple "I like it" "I don't like it" like all large modern websites have

All quite informative, and along the vein of our previous points of discussion. I've found it quite enlightening regarding the culture (I believe that's the correct term) of this platform. Jack, you need to stop being such an effective communicator, who express ideas with in a polite manner. I can only give you +rep twice in a 24 hour period, dude!

Based on my experience so far with this "popularity" contest nonsense, and some people sending very inappropriate DM's. (Plus the spite review.) I gotta say I have a better understanding of why some people may get offended in the discussion of rating versus merit. It seems to be weaponized for one, much as it is on any other platform. It's sad to see, I've barely been here two months and I didn't expect my question regarding procedure and if "review swaps" were genuine reviews or ego stroking to be so polarizing.

Scribe Wrote: The only problem with the thumb up or down - is it's too subjective.

I still like a tick box system - tick at least 2 things + you liked and up to 3 areas (no more) you feel the author can improve on. The top points of both are listed for readers, to see and the number of people who gave. No emotion - no feelings of being attacked. Areas to improve and areas you did well. Feedback can be obtained in other ways.

I just think something like this would be fairer and not affect popular stories, or up-and-coming ones too badly. 

Negative things ticked by only a small percentage of those will not be taken into account.

Just my thoughts

I like the idea of a more, non-offensive suggestion system. Although, based on my experience people don't like change, especially in the UI regard. If there was a voting system or something or a suggestion section though, personally, I'd love to endorse that idea. Without genuine and directive constructive criticism it can be hard to advance. How am I supposed to improve if I don't know what I am doing wrong? In my personal case, I review various guides and discussions and consider their suggestions against my own writing style. But, there are a genuine number of cases where I likely don't apply said suggestions as well as I could have if at all. And I honestly don't know that until I have someone point it out. I am dense at times, and honestly appreciate outside feedback. 

And especially after this discussion, I see how others might not. As I believe I stated earlier, some find self worth in their submission. They see their art as a reflection of themselves, and by critiquing said work they feel they were criticized. As someone who (like many) has a dis-inflated sense of self worth, to borderline active personal loathing at times I especially relate.

Thanks for the contribution, I honestly like the idea. But, I am not sure if it could/would every be implemented to be honest.

Beverlyy Wrote: OP has no ratings (besides 1 review) which make me think they have a harsh-rating account and this account to not incur any of the penalties of handing out harsh ratings. For someone to have such displeasure towards "fake" 5-star reviews I would think they'd been around long enough to give their own ratings. 
This doesn't just apply to books. It applies to life. 

People who feel negative about something are more likely to review it. This includes products online and, yes, even jobs. Like the average rating of a job where I am is "2/5". People do not review positively of this crap, and the ones that do are probably alt accounts to incentivize people to buy a product or apply for a job.
Those are fake reviews.

A YouTuber/Vlogger also did a video on going to the lowest-rated restaurants in America. Half of them were perfectly fine. Some people just have it out for the owners. For example, GingerPanda, the account which was made an hour before posting on this thread and instantly favourited your book and a stub, 0.5d my book (which has been discontinued for a while now) because I said I would defecate in her Fruit Loops. That is the power and ease of use at people's disposal. 
Esbe Esi left a review. Is what it is. I don't think you reported it tbh. A community of people dislikes Esi for having an opinion that conflicts with their egos. They will probably report anything they upload out of petulant spite. 

But you are correct: the rating doesn't mean anything.
---
Your definition of "fake review" was just so undefined and overly opinionated that obviously you're going to annoy people with your sheer ignorance in asking the question in the first place. As others have noted, your question makes assumptions that you for some reason have no problem glazing over. You basically assumed any review that didn't share your opinion was fake. You didn't say it directly because you didn't have to. A fake review is saying something works perfectly when, in fact, that person never got the product. An alt trying to up the ratings. It's dishonest.
But like I said, it gets complicated. You have to stretch the truth because not a single critic on this platform can sum up what they feel about a story perfectly. There will literally be contradictions in people's thoughts, and they will have different views on everything they read. This is aside from pure "this sentence sounds weird" criticisms.

Beverlyy, I apologize for my abbreviation when quoting your post. I am honestly too lazy to fight the pseudocode to format this properly. I should have use multiple quote boxes to indicate the breaks, and I do apologize for being so lazy.

Thank you for adding a lot of clarity to this discussion in that particular post.

So let's unpack here, I appreciate that you actually took the time to view my profile and verify I am not in the business of demeaning others. While I am lacking in maturity to some extent, I am doing my best to grow as I can. And I don't believe publicly criticizing others without direction (hence constructive criticism) would be effective toward achieving my goal of personal growth. While I could in fact have another account I use for harsh reviews, I do not. Although because I misspoke and perhaps let my disdain for "5 star or nothing" culture leak through in my original statement. 

Plus there was genuine confusion, to have a series of 5 star ratings I would figure the piece had some basic punctuation. The piece that started this topic was lacking in them, to the point where it strained my reading comprehension. While I made it through it between the various issues I pointed out earlier, it was not something I particular enjoyed. My it did pique my curiosity regarding the merit of review swaps, and then the question came up regarding the value of ratings at all.

And your example discussing the concept of "fake review" was well stated, much appreciated. Furthermore the note regarding how I could have used other language to convey my question is appreciated. Although to be fair, the three review swapped reviews on this piece in question in my personal opinion were artificially inflated. Or to put it simply, fake. Out of curiosity, I checked this morning and it's no longer a 5 star rated work. Apparently after the review swaps, others contributed their opinions and it lowered the average. But, it doesn't change the fact I now personally feel that ratings are useless for my purposes, which is to find enjoyable fiction. I'll blame my TTS plug-in but personally excessive grammatical errors, and the non-existence of commas or periods cause the thing to go a bit... more haywire than normal. And personally that doesn't lead to as enjoyable of a reading experience. But once again this is a matter of taste, and furthermore the majority of the RR population can likely read
VVerity Wrote: What the heck is going on in here
without strain when text is less than 150% of it's original size. In my experience, when reading we likely might not notice errors that a TTS plug may exacerbate. And that's entirely on me, I likely weigh grammar and punctuation in ones published work too highly based on my personal perception and how I read these various works.

VVerity Wrote: What the heck is going on in here

Get out your hip boots, I done stepped in it and opened the floodgates of fecal fantasy. I did not communicate effectively and before we turned things around I believe I was in the process of forming RR's versions of a lynch mob. As I would have been the guest of honor at this "party" I am quite glad that things have evolved to a more civil tone and discussion of how exactly I messed up. (Which I do appreciate, I can't work on something I am unaware of.) I'll gladly take that over some of the rhetoric that we had going on for a moment. (And the personally offensive DM's weren't necessary from the three individuals who chose to reach out directly instead of adding to our discussion.)

MJ Wrote: I personally don't mind the 5* review swaps... Ultimately what it will do is make new stories more visible, and then the story will either sink or swim on its own merit.
Honestly, if I see a story with 3 reviews and it is five stars, I might check it out, but if it has three stars, I am more likely to skip it...

For myself, I'd rather receive detailed honest reviews (that are hopefully encouraging even if critical), though I'd hope that review swappers would round up for the benefit of early visibility and encouragement. (when I finally put my story up)

I'm more worried about new stories not seeing the light of day than "sub-par" stories receiving inflated ratings. 

I'll admit that I only like a small percentage of the stories on RR, but that is the beauty of the platform. We're all here for whatever specific thing we like. I can only really enjoy stories with less refined prose when I'm taking a break from writing or editing because my brain just grabs on to all the little things I'd change and then I can't see the forest through the trees. For that one reason, I would like there to be a little more accuracy/higher standard for what qualifies as good style/grammar. Like if you could Rate the grammar at 3 stars but check a box to discount that score from the total so you could still give the story a collective 5 stars because you personally loved it and weren't bothered.

That is my wish list.
Santa?

We're on the same page, I didn't give much merit to ratings before and now I disregard them entirely. Therefore, I am not bothered by 5 star reviews personally. Initially, I was more confused than anything, and wondered if anyone felt if sharing 5 star reviews just "because" demeaned the integrity of the platform. But, in the process I confirmed that perceptively much of the user base subscribes to the "5 star or nothing" culture that makes it very difficult in certain industries. My notable example was ride share as stated previously. And the reasoning stated such as "revenge reviews" are definitely well understood, especially now. I'm glad my current project is just that. It's practice, a project, a WIP and the fact that I have gotten arguably ratings bombed and received a spite review (which has been removed) because it seemed someone thought it would cause my displeasure proves this community is just like any other. Varied, there are some folks who are nice, encouraging and offer insightful feedback or friendly discussion of their views. And some people are absolutely unpleasant and present themselves in a manner that I feel they might not do in an person medium. Although, if they do then that's their own problem. But in my experience people on the Internet are mean. People in general can be mean, people on the Internet seem to slather hate with little regard for how their speech effects others.

And I am aware I erred in my phrasing of the topic post, and appreciate the guidance. I will do my best to note my opinion is based on personal perception. Although I am still not sure how I could have asked about the conventions regarding review swaps, without seeming offensive. I will have to spend some time in reflection to honestly consider that and hopefully be able to ask questions regarding conventions on the platform without further offending anyone. But, I likely will. I am human, and as such am prone to error and miscommunication. Or letting my disdain for things such as my perception of how some sytems of meritocracy are more a tool of revenge and ego stroking than a helpful benchmark.

Now if I may... OOF. That was a bit, but as I said earlier I done stepped in it. I learned some though, and thank you for all your contributions that were civil and added to the discussion of culture and convention. It's honestly appreciated. 

Jack0fheart Wrote: If you state anything from outside the story, it's the easiest way to get a review deleted. Never admit to any bias 😂
They can't delete my review because they already deleted it.
Jebediah86 Wrote: But, in the process I confirmed that perceptively much of the user base subscribes to the "5 star or nothing" culture that makes it very difficult in certain industries.
You proved it you subscribe to it yourself

@Jebediah86 

In all honesty, you don't need to know what you're doing wrong. You'll eventually gain technical experience just writing more. For instance, 14 word sentences are considered to be easy to read whereas 21+ words are hard. Most sentences should average around 17 words. Just random little tidbits like that.

In almost all my stories, the early chapters are absolutely abysmal when looking at them again. I just can't stand editing or rewriting so ignore their existence entirely. 

Some of the best rated stories on RR suck from the technical standpoint but that's not important. All you need to succeed is novelty. The idea is what's important, not the writing

Remember, writing is art and not science!

Esbe Wrote: My review has been deleted because I was "insulting the author" - though I am ready to admit that it may indeed be insulting, I assume that "insult" only counts if target is offended by it. I reviewed the couple of stories and generally left a decent rating on all of them, even 5-stars

I was genuinely not offended, while I found your comment at the end very childish your review had genuine merit. And I can only say so many times you made a genuine point, and I plan to consider revisions. If you would like to contest the deletion review please have a moderator or whatever review the following:

I am not offended, while the portrayal and tone of the message goes against my understanding of the goal of this platform the basis was solid. I am a bad author giving it a go for personal reasons and could hardly care if someone doesn't like my work. In fact I encourage others to share their opinion. Esme Esi is more than welcome to keep their review up if my perceived insult was the deciding factor.

Once again, I do thank you for your feedback. And I would welcome more structured criticism in the future. Although, as I said before stating at the end of the review that you gave me said rating because you were upset by my topic of discussion seemed very childish. Adolescent even if I might be painfully honest. And furthermore your title "critiquing the critic" was questionable as I have only review one piece, never rated anything beyond that and kept my issues with a certain fiction anonymous. If you would like to continue, I am more than open to polite discussion. 

That being said, I personally feel like your posts so far have (primarily) ostensibly been rabble-rousing, and spouting some sort of victim complex. Therefore, I may choose not to continue to engage with you personally in this discussion. If I do so it is not my intent to offend, it's just I feel like your don't want to contribute to the discussion and have pre-conceived notions. But this is the Internet, effective communication is difficult in a basic sense. Now we remove, tone, and body language then miscommunications are bound to happen. Plus, sometimes my own personal biases effect my phrasing in unintended ways. Isn't it fascinating how all that works? Although, I am a bit of an dunce at times so some of this might be plain sense to the majority and I am just an ape playing with soap bubbles here.

Edit for recent post reply:
Esbe Wrote:
Jebediah86 Wrote: But, in the process I confirmed that perceptively much of the user base subscribes to the "5 star or nothing" culture that makes it very difficult in certain industries.
You proved it you subscribe to it yourself

In reflection I see how it might seem that way. I do not, I personally believe average should be denoted as 2.5/5 or 5/10 etc., and I personally enjoy several arguably average works. If 4.5 stars is considered average then in my personal opinion it invalidates the scale entirely. It's the same issue as I denoted with the example of a ride share driver previously.

That being said now that I have a further understanding of the reasoning behind why something might get 5 star's with a lack of merit I will now be disregarding rating entirely when looking for new fiction. But, that's my decision based on my perception.

Jebediah86 Wrote: In reflection I see how it might seem that way. I do not, I personally believe average should be denoted as 2.5/5 or 5/10 etc., and I personally enjoy several arguably average works. If 4.5 stars is considered average then in my personal opinion it invalidates the scale entirely. It's the same issue as I denoted with the example of a ride share driver previously.

That being said now that I have a further understanding of the reasoning behind why something might get 5 star's with a lack of merit I will now be disregarding rating entirely when looking for new fiction. But, that's my decision based on my perception.
You're right about the 4.5star rating invalidating it. I came to the same conclusion on my last account I deleted when I went to kindle. It's hard to beat the comparitive exposure of RR but wattpad has my favourite rating system of all the websites I upload to