When writing *your* novel, what was your favorite quote?

Please note it doesn’t have to be deep at all. Instead, it’s that one quote that stuck to you the most for a character. For me, it’d be the final villain’s monologue in the first saga of my novel. What stuck to me was how deranged I made it sound as possible. Because it’s more like a corrupted heroic resolve:
Quote:“I am a hero now, first and foremost. And even ‘forever till the end,’ as your ilks say. After my deathbed, I shall hear the praise above. Flowers and vigils: adorning my golden effigy.

“It is the most natural. Many had already yelled for my victory before. Yet I must perish. A hero’s only worth remembering with the justice they brought. I gave many in spades, but I can never stand the wails. The tantrums of those out of line! Villains, they are. Villains!

“I am a footsoldier of the Gods and their rule. Ever so divine, they mended my heart in your absence. Your fault, ‘brother.’ I shan’t even need to lay a finger on you or your family. Why?

“I am your pain.”
What made me sweat the most when writing it was how he mocked a recurring phrase in my novel: forever till the end. Such things aren’t new in fiction. So, I thought: why not twist it beyond recognition? The villain’s legitimately determined to become the ultimate savior. And the kicker? He’s right.

I won’t spoil much here, but this villain sided with the majority rule to execute a child (for legit in-their-face reasons, but again, no spoilers). An angry mob did cheer for his win against one of my six MCs. What’s even more fucked up was how he hurt the lead character in any way he could (i.e., using air quotes on the word brother). Even then, he was still correct. Their ties severed long ago, even as mages protecting the capital.

With that said, this villain I wrote isn’t inspired by a character but rather by a trope: the Knight Templar. Think Thanos during Endgame, Akainu from One Piece, or even Light Yagami. Complete monsters are my favorite type of villain, but I always wanted to dabble with the former: framed in the wrong but with enough nuance to prove them right in-universe. It’s intriguing, honestly.

Re: When writing *your* novel, what was your favorite quote?

I've talked about this before, but in a part of Cerulean, Arylos shows Iris the memories of when his world died and the war that came about. This section touches a lot on Arylos's internal struggle and a lot of the things that happened during the end of the Titans remains a very present and relevant scar for Arylos, especially since the Eikons, his long-time enemies, are now coming back out of the woodwork.

Kobayashi Wrote: He watched two armies clash in the streets, cutting down all in their path which included the civilians who were just trying to run. Arylos clenched his fist as he watched what happened to countless worlds come to his own world and drown it in blood. Yet He could do little to stop this petty war; his world was dying and there was no future for them, and yet there were fools who still believed they could fight for it, seeking to change the outcome.

They were too blind to see the truth; there was no outcome to change.

I was really proud of the final line because the Eikons always haunt Arylos with phrases like "you cannot stop the inevitable". The Titans went to war trying to survive when survival wasn't an option for them and that led to their extinction. Now Arylos is fighting the Eikons who always return no matter how much Arylos tries to stop him and they are just a reminder that he is trying to change the future when there is no future for him to change. It's a very haunting realization that a Titan, once regarded as the peak of evolution and gods of the gods, doesn't stand a chance against this enemy; he can't kill them, he can't bargain with them, and he can't stop them.

Thirp rubbed his front pair of legs together, the soft rustling sound was his species’ natural laughter. 
“Gary my friend, it will truly be a shame when Miss Shai finally spins her egg sack around you.”

Gary left that hanging out there for a while, just to see where this might go. Finally, he could not take it anymore, mostly because Thirp was watching an episode of ‘The Golden Girls’ in rapt wonder. 
“Did you have any questions for me about human culture or biology?” Gary asked. 

“No, it all seems fairly straightforward.” He sang. “When the little humanlings erupt from your chest cavity, they will be ready to begin independent lives and grow into fine examples of your species. I am certain Shai will tell them all about you.” 
His harp gave a long and tranquil sigh of satisfaction. “Family is the greatest blessing, is it not?”

Definitively the protagonist's answer as to why he wants to go back to Earth. 

“Yes you were,” he said with an unfitting, soft tone. Then he cleared his throat. “I take you know your quest, and given that this could bring us all back to Earth, I would be willing to allow it. But, pray tell me, Walter, what do you miss the most about Earth? A love? A friend? A sibling?”

“I never played Doki Doki Literature Club.”

There's probably more catchy/poignant exchanges that I could post here, but this one sticks with me the most:

Quote:“I’m sure their dad taught them everything they needed to know. Galhardo’s an okay guy as far as the chief commanders go; I talked to him a couple times back in the day. Really thorough, gave me some good advice.” Jun reminisced. “So I don’t think this is a case of thoughtless nepotism.”

“Oh, so it’s thoughtful nepotism. What a relief.” Aiden wanted to show Jun how ridiculous he just sounded. “Didn’t know you had a favorite overlord.”

Quote:The petite islander fell silent. She looked up into his scowling, hawkish face, with a look both thoughtful and serene. “You won’t.” She set the lamp down on a wall hook and stepped up to him. Quentin held his ground. Razia took his hands in hers and placed them around her throat. She squeezed.

“W-what are you doing?” Quentin started, trying to pull away. Her grip was firm as she kept their hands in place. His panic subsided when her grip didn’t tighten. Still Razia had that damnably serene look on her face. She managed to look both calm and smug at the same time.

“Here’s your chance, Quentin,” She said. This time when she squeezed his hands it was gentle. “If you want to silence me, I’m at your mercy. No one knows I’m here except your neighbor, and he won’t say a word. No one will. Buuuut,” Razia drummed her fingers along his hands before letting them go. “You won’t do it. You won’t kill me and we both know it.”

Picking a favorite is hard, but I'm pretty fond of this one.

This, from an early short story in The Butterfly Effect:
Quote:Did people ever feel remorse for the candles they snuff out? Those little lights, just starting to bloom, that mortals decided had served their purpose. Those little lights that only wanted to be useful, but soon met a bitter end as the world around them was engulfed in shadows. He knew Darkness, at least, felt no remorse for all those lost lights. She intended to keep the whole world in her shadows, to live in a place where light was unheard of or a far-off dream.

Not sure if this is my favourite, but it's one of those that get me laughing every time I read my own stuff:

I was no IT tech, but I had shared a breakroom with an IT department for years. You’d have to be daft to not pick up some basic knowledge. I guess it also helps when you are female and willing to ask the guys to explain stuff to you. But don’t quote me on that, I’m fresh out of a control group “male and not asking”…

First that picture of a group of nerdy male singles falling all over each other to explain something to one of those mystical "women", followed by the ambiguity of mashing together gender and willingness to ask. Oh, and that "basic knowledge" she showed in the previous paragraph was anything but basic, which adds a sour note to this.

This is my favorite original story piece (it’ll appear in Gin and Kuro in another 1-3 months depending on update schedules):
Quote:Erize paused for a second, then gave him a confused look. “You’re the prince? Whenever I heard of you, you seemed more…” She glanced him over again, then came to a blunt conclusion: “Charming. Taller, maybe. I imagined you looking…slightly less pathetic. You’re not lying, are you?”
Suffice to say, this is towards her future husband. It’s a shame she doesn’t appear a whole lot in what I managed to write of that part.