The Most Appealing Concept For a Story

Out of all the fictions you've read on RR or elsewhere, what's the storyline that you loved the most.  Forget about implementation.  Weather or not the story in question did a good job is beside the point, but what concept in a fiction addicted you to read it?

For me, it was "Everybody Else is a Returnee" and the way that fantasy dungeons/monster/magic slowly merged into modern day human society without destroying it.  As in, normal lifestyle wasn't largely affected, but now occasionally monsters popped up, now magical artifact stores existed in the malls.  

However, despite all this, I loathed the way the author started the series by putting the protagonist in a really long time-lock where he proceeded to "read every book on earth and master every skill".  That discouraged me from reading it for a long time.  I gave in after it maintained the number 1 slot on novel updates for like 2 years....

Re: The Most Appealing Concept For a Story

Good grief, I have so many favorite concepts that I'd like to convince a writer to adopt...

I love the concept of a relatively normal person choosing to become either a dungeon core or a part-animal person, and they have to work hard (grind levels or stats or cultivation) to accomplish this.  With the animal one you'd have something like a ninja village or a cultivation sect where it's semi-normal for higher level people to have mutated eyes or teeth or whatever.  But then you'd also have villages of normal low-level people who might get seriously weirded out by a minor physical difference, or panic at the realization that this stranger who entered the village has an unreadably high level.

I love the idea of a middle aged adult human getting turned into a young teen of another species, and they have to mostly put up with being treated like a half-grown child because they want to stay within society to start a career and a family, not run away to play murderhobo.

I like the idea of a summoned "demon" (the being from another plane kind, not the inherently evil kind) who his summoner totally fails to bind/restrict, but he ends up voluntarily working his arse off to save a town, including the summoner, from famine.  A dungeon could probably do something similar, but it would almost be too easy for a dungeon.  A slime or a dragon shapeshifted into a human form might have an ok combination of being dangerous but vulnerable.

I'd really like to see a school setting in a semi-victorian culture (think Pride and Prejudice), with the twist that everyone is a member of a pack rather than a noble household or a ship's crew or whatever.  The older teens or young adults at the school need to leave their parents' packs and form their own, a commitment as big as marriage.  And half the purpose of the school is to make sure all the kids of the important people get into a good position of a well-rounded pack that's going to be economically successful.  As part of this the school would supply scholarship students, halfbreeds, or summoned other-species humanoids to fill the lower ranked positions in the pack.  And into this situation we can throw an ex-human-from-earth who doesn't really understand packs but either wants a girlfriend/boyfriend or wants to stay out of trouble so they can focus on studying magic at the school.

Let's see, what else... oh how about the mc is a dragon in a dragonrider setting.  Specifically the young adult humans try to 'court' the young adult dragons, so that the dragon will form the magic bond that makes the human their rider.  The dragons are people, but humans being humans they tend to reject this fact and see the dragons as talking animals, living vehicles/weapons, or even blessings bestowed by a god rather than independent intelligent beings.  Many of the dragons have been conditioned to think of themselves as second class citizens whose destiny is to help a human.  Of course the isekaied or reincarnated MC with a modern education objects to this.  Moreover the MC remembers being a human and is still attracted to humans...

I'm not sure if this thread actually has a purpose, but somebody let me know if there's a reason I should list more ideas.  Otherwise this is already long enough.

sunandshadow Wrote: Good grief, I have so many favorite concepts that I'd like to convince a writer to adopt...

I love the concept of a relatively normal person choosing to become either a dungeon core or a part-animal person, and they have to work hard (grind levels or stats or cultivation) to accomplish this.  With the animal one you'd have something like a ninja village or a cultivation sect where it's semi-normal for higher level people to have mutated eyes or teeth or whatever.  But then you'd also have villages of normal low-level people who might get seriously weirded out by a minor physical difference, or panic at the realization that this stranger who entered the village has an unreadably high level.

I love the idea of a middle aged adult human getting turned into a young teen of another species, and they have to mostly put up with being treated like a half-grown child because they want to stay within society to start a career and a family, not run away to play murderhobo.

I like the idea of a summoned "demon" (the being from another plane kind, not the inherently evil kind) who his summoner totally fails to bind/restrict, but he ends up voluntarily working his arse off to save a town, including the summoner, from famine.  A dungeon could probably do something similar, but it would almost be too easy for a dungeon.  A slime or a dragon shapeshifted into a human form might have an ok combination of being dangerous but vulnerable.

I'd really like to see a school setting in a semi-victorian culture (think Pride and Prejudice), with the twist that everyone is a member of a pack rather than a noble household or a ship's crew or whatever.  The older teens or young adults at the school need to leave their parents' packs and form their own, a commitment as big as marriage.  And half the purpose of the school is to make sure all the kids of the important people get into a good position of a well-rounded pack that's going to be economically successful.  As part of this the school would supply scholarship students, halfbreeds, or summoned other-species humanoids to fill the lower ranked positions in the pack.  And into this situation we can throw an ex-human-from-earth who doesn't really understand packs but either wants a girlfriend/boyfriend or wants to stay out of trouble so they can focus on studying magic at the school.

Let's see, what else... oh how about the mc is a dragon in a dragonrider setting.  Specifically the young adult humans try to 'court' the young adult dragons, so that the dragon will form the magic bond that makes the human their rider.  The dragons are people, but humans being humans they tend to reject this fact and see the dragons as talking animals, living vehicles/weapons, or even blessings bestowed by a god rather than independent intelligent beings.  Many of the dragons have been conditioned to think of themselves as second class citizens whose destiny is to help a human.  Of course the isekaied or reincarnated MC with a modern education objects to this.  Moreover the MC remembers being a human and is still attracted to humans...

I'm not sure if this thread actually has a purpose, but somebody let me know if there's a reason I should list more ideas.  Otherwise this is already long enough.

Dang, that second-to-last idea (regency/victorian packs) is super, super similar to my story Foxstone! While they do have finishing schools almost exactly like you described, though, my MC never gets to go to one. Hoping to write another story in this world that does take place at one at some point, though :)
Oh, also my MC isn’t transmigrated/reincarnated so there’s that 

i like the concept of the Devils contract magic and stuff like a Jinni, as an Protagonist. Rabbitsfoot and Wish-granting for others in exchange for power and favours.

it gets briefly touched upon Highschool DxD but it is really small and the devil contracts they do there are more like part time jobs so i was a bit bummed out about that. Could be a cool story if someone does a DxD fic where the MC doesnt get the Memo that the Devil Contracts arent taking souls and other "heavy" stuff as payment anymore and goes that route bc Rias never really mentions that its not done if he doesnt ask about it :D he just assumes it is because hes now a Devil and he thinks that what all Devils do. Not that he would really care if they are not bc i  also like semi Villanous MCs or self serving ones in this case. he doesnt get power through training or the power of Boobs but through Contracts with others instead. such entities are often under a lot of restrictions that they can only use their great power if they are fulfilling some kind of contract for others instead of using them themselves but in exchange they can make those wishes a reality even if they are really strong ones like bringing someone back from the dead or rewriting causality. (the cost would obvously be ultra high and not worth it to pay for most.)

the Book Series Bartimäus is also in that vein and i can only recommend it.

KittraMcBriar Wrote: Dang, that second-to-last idea (regency/victorian packs) is super, super similar to my story Foxstone! While they do have finishing schools almost exactly like you described, though, my MC never gets to go to one. Hoping to write another story in this world that does take place at one at some point, though :)
Oh, also my MC isn’t transmigrated/reincarnated so there’s that
Sounds interesting, I'll take a look. 🙂