What is your thinking style?

1) Verbal = think/ remember only in words?
2)  Think in a combination of words and vague, generalized pictures?
3) Think only in vivid images?

I translate both spoken and written words into full-color movies. Words and thoughts create pictures in my head. Not sure if this is a dyslexic thing or a creative thing that all writers do?

As a dyslexic person = regurgitating the images into words is very challenging and I am not confident of how my work actually reads = it gets put back into pictures as I read lol 

Love to know what your thinking style is :)

Re: What is your thinking style?

Images and yes it's a dyslexic thing.

It's common for us dyslexics to think in pictures because our brains are pretty much hardwired for the visual. So when I'm story planning, I pretty much have a movie going on in my head. I can rewind and reimagining my story before I write it. It's one reason why I don't write a written detailed outline. Easier for me to follow what is essentially a story board in my head. 

My issue with the translating it is that I've not the best at word recall or getting down what I mean. Often times I'm flat out stuck trying to arrange the words properly based on what I'm seeing. Multiple edits and revisions is the only way I can clear it up.

Vivid imagery + two separate thought streams:

-The immediate thought stream, encompassing my instinctive, unfiltered-by-reason reactions to things, my feelings and subjective opinions. This thought stream is sometimes verbal and sometimes not, using thoughts that aren’t exactly words but aren’t images either 
-The follow-up thought stream, which responds to the first with things like reason, morality, rationalization, and more objective observations. This thought stream is verbal. 

These manifest as two different “voices” and are frequently at odds with each other. 

LJ Wrote: Images and yes it's a dyslexic thing.

It's common for us dyslexics to think in pictures because our brains are pretty much hardwired for the visual. So when I'm story planning, I pretty much have a movie going on in my head. I can rewind and reimagining my story before I write it. It's one reason why I don't write a written detailed outline. Easier for me to follow what is essentially a story board in my head. 

My issue with the translating it is that I've not the best at word recall or getting down what I mean. Often times I'm flat out stuck trying to arrange the words properly based on what I'm seeing. Multiple edits and revisions is the only way I can clear it up.

I really do relate - I think I spend more time in edit than anything else. Technology can help - until a word is spelled so jumbled that nothing can translate - or even when it does and you need to check the meaning to make sure it is the correct word you needed lol

Nate Wrote: Pictures. My brain is a comic strip 100%. It's why my writing might seem a little brief and in your face sometimes, lol.

I suffer the same thing :) I read SO many comics each week, for 50 years. It helps me generate stories and dialog easy, but often I wish I had the word baloons and pictures. 

I tend to daydream a lot when bored. Half my mind is thinking of story plots and seeing them as a comic book or a movie.

KittraMcBriar Wrote: Vivid imagery + two separate thought streams:

-The immediate thought stream, encompassing my instinctive, unfiltered-by-reason reactions to things, my feelings and subjective opinions. This thought stream is sometimes verbal and sometimes not, using thoughts that aren’t exactly words but aren’t images either 
-The follow-up thought stream, which responds to the first with things like reason, morality, and rationalization, and more objective observations. This thought stream is verbal. 

These manifest as almost two totally seperate “voices” and are frequently at odds with each other.

Thank you for sharing. That is so fascinating - would you describe the two voices as creative thinking and critical thinking (logic)?

Merging these types of thinking has been shown by history to be very a very successful formula :) 

ClaireJayne Wrote:

-The follow-up thought stream, which responds to the first with things like reason, morality, and rationalization, and more objective observations. This thought stream is verbal. 

These manifest as almost two totally seperate “voices” and are frequently at odds with each other.

Thank you for sharing. That is so fascinating - would you describe the two voices as creative thinking and critical thinking (logic)?

Merging these types of thinking has been shown by history to be very a very successful formula :)

I think I’d sum them up as emotional/animal thinking versus logical/socialized thinking (and by “socialized” what I mean here is cultural conditioning). Where these and the vivid imagery converge, the creativity happens :) 

KittraMcBriar Wrote:
ClaireJayne Wrote:

I think I’d sum them up as emotional/animal thinking versus logical/socialized thinking (and by “socialized” what I mean here is cultural conditioning). Where these and the vivid imagery converge, the creativity happens :)

That is so cool :)

The Wrote:
Nate Wrote: Pictures. My brain is a comic strip 100%. It's why my writing might seem a little brief and in your face sometimes, lol.

I suffer the same thing :) I read SO many comics each week, for 50 years. It helps me generate stories and dialog easy, but often I wish I had the word baloons and pictures. 

I tend to daydream a lot when bored. Half my mind is thinking of story plots and seeing them as a comic book or a movie.
This is my life. When stuck somewhere for any amount of time, I’ve always just been able to stare off into space and be completely content lol. I’m just making movies in my head.

My native/original style of thought isn't really verbal or visual, it's more like snapshots of a few abstract concepts and emotions tied to each other in a web.  I've heard these referred to as "glyphs".  These are particularly useful if I want to pull a similar memory, like if I focus on my overall impression of a book then similar ones will pop up in my memory, because similar impressions kind of resonate with each other.  I do a lot of verbal thinking supplemented with cartoon images though.  My visual memory isn't quite buff enough for realistic images.  I've taken art classes all my life, and I've had difficulties whenever I had an assignment that specifically required a realistic style.

It might be because I'm a kinesthetic learner (as opposed to visual or auditory), but I always think of scenes from an abstract perspective.

You can think of it a bit like a black void with just white dots. The dots simply represent a perceived position in a 3D space the other characters or critical objects in a scene occupy (I don't actually imagine dots, it's just to give a more concrete explanation than 'i feel where people are at around me') .

I'll then imagine actions as though I'm actually doing them, and think about what meaning the characters words should convey (if they talk).

The actual visuals and words really come after I do all this abstract work first.

If I was to categorise it, it would be more visual, but I'm not attached to an actual image, more to an imaginary diagram.