Re: Worldbuilding: what’s your style?

sunandshadow Wrote: Huh.  Normally I'd consider "world building" to be the part where you figure out in your head/notes how the world works, not the part where you describe the world to the reader in the story.
So much this. Worldbuilding is, for me, something that is done outside the normal telling of the story. Maybe it's semantics, but in my mind, the building of the world is for the writer. Then, there are numerous ways to reveal that world to the reader.

Worldbuilding as a writer leads to me being rather descriptive and in-depth with imagery, character interactions, introspection and the like. I have dozens of folders and hundreds of notes and documents about the world/serial.

Introducing them to the story is done in many ways. Some through Divine Messages (system/blue box), some through buildings and landscapes, character interactions and development, stories and tales within the serialized fiction, and other methods.

I tend to do a breadcrumb trail or drip feed the lore and information with the actions and discovery of the characters. As Serena (my MC) is curious and seeks knowledge (among ther things) she would go out of her way to learn and discover things. This allows me to introduce things more naturally.

I also have exposition as needed.

Nearly all of my previous experience in writing for an audience came from roleplaying, where the 'world' was already understood by the people reading. That shoved off all the heavy lifting in regards to worldbuilding onto the info pages rather than having to burden the story with the 'and here's what this country is all about' parts. So it's a big weakness for me as a writer to do those explainy bits since I'm so used to just ignoring them.

Coincidentally I have a lot of respect for writers who go the simple route and pull it off by just not bothering to fill the reader in. I remember reading Dune as a kid and not understanding any of the weird made up vocabulary that the book hits you with early on. Eventually though I was able to pull enough meaning out of what I was reading to form a coherent idea of the setting in my head. I didn't get everything, but I got enough to understand the story, and then later re-reads I could focus in more on cool background stuff I mentally discarded on my first read-through for being too opaque. That approach probably turns off a lot of potential readers though. It's like the classic video game problem of 'how hard do you make the first level'. I think I prefer getting thrown into the deep end myself but I understand people who prefer a more guided story with less room for getting lost.

World building is one of my favorite parts of writing. I have entire file folders filled with details of the world (I use to play a lot of D&D and I was a DM), but I only pull out what is needed for the story to make sense to the reader at that point. I think teasing the details out and draw your reader in and make them want to know more is a good approach. Then you can give them a bit of info dumping right when they want it. 

I am always worried about insulting my reader's intelligence by explaining TOO much. 
The fact that Kjootoo, a superpowered Haitian Shaman, regularly communes with Loas is pretty cool, but where do I draw the line explaining what Loas are?
Should I explain why calling Samedi's sense of humor is a bad thing? Should I expect them to look up web pages about it?

I just had a reader complaining about using the technical term for the parts of my protagonists brand new wings, that I put in to explain how he can have an almost 50 foot wingspan and how they fold up so that he can still walk like a normal person. I did the math (I hate math) and looked at actual wing diagrams to see how they fold up, and even explained how and where they were attached and what else was needed to keep a creature as... un-aerodynamic as a human aloft. Was I overexplaining? underexplaining? confusing people?

I thought it was cool even though I finally just got sick of trying to math it out, but I try to add world bits so my readers later on will go, "Oh... I remember that bit". But I am starting to realize that my worldbuilding is kind of suck for serial chapter releases... I write more for binge readers, because I include enough details that when I pop a clue in a chapter, it's been like 4 weeks since they read that bit at the beginning that explains why such and such is against, say, mask-protection laws extended to felons.

World building for webfics is just a very different beast from world building for binge series.