Been lurking for a while but wanted to introduce myself + Question

Hello everyone! I'm TheSorcerer'sPen! I've had an account for a little while now, but I've mostly been a silently reader. I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for some advice.

I am a writer (though I haven't been brave enough to post anything yet), and I was planning to start posting chapters for the fiction I've been working on once they're properly edited. Anyway, the story I have been working on is urban fantasy and I worry this site might not be the best audience for it. I know LitRPG and medievel-esque fantasy are popular here. I know Paranoid Mage is popular, but I think that is one of the only ones I've seen in that genre. So, I guess my question is, is it worth posting on here? Is there another site that is better for urban fantasy?

Re: Been lurking for a while but wanted to introduce myself + Question

TealiciousTea Wrote: Welcome, I hope you continue to have fun on RR.

To answer your question, I don't know any place better than RR to post. But you can always cross post and see what works. You'll gain more readers that way anyhow.

Thanks for the welcome! RR seems to be a great community so I am hoping to be more active!

I was thinking of trying Scribblehub as well. Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. 

Welcome. Angel's Dirge was urban fantasy (or I'd class it as that,might be wrong) but there's probably more than you'd think. I've found RR to be good for views regardless of genre, but be realistic that they will be lower for some than others.

Apart from RR I know of: FictionPress (v low footfall), Inkitt (romance/shifter smut, do not recommend), ScribbleHub (not used), Wattpad (not used), Tapas (not used), and SpaceBattles (not used, hear it's pitched towards sci-fi). Theoretically AO3 does original as well as fanfic, but never tried.

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Cinn Wrote: Welcome. Angel's Dirge was urban fantasy (or I'd class it as that,might be wrong) but there's probably more than you'd think. I've found RR to be good for views regardless of genre, but be realistic that they will be lower for some than others.

Apart from RR I know of: FictionPress (v low footfall), Inkitt (romance/shifter smut, do not recommend), ScribbleHub (not used), Wattpad (not used), Tapas (not used), and SpaceBattles (not used, hear it's pitched towards sci-fi). Theoretically AO3 does original as well as fanfic, but never tried.

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Wattpad - Romance, specifically any variation of bad boy/good girl (or boy). Wouldn't recommend for posting urban fantasy.
Tapas - LGBTQ+ related stories, especially Boys' Love, though Fantasy is the next most popular genre. However, this is a webcomic hosting site first and foremost, so it will be significantly harder to gain traffic as a novel.
AO3 - I've heard you can post original content on it, but it's discouraged by the site itself, plus it doesn't really gain much traction.

Anyway, welcome to Royal Road. I second that here is probably the best place to get views regardless of genre. Good luck on gaining an audience for your novel!

Welcome! And you might be surprised! If your work is good enough people will read it. Getting visibility is the tricky part but there are things you can do to help yourself along. Be active in the forums (with your story in your sig block), do review swaps to climb the Best Rated rankings, and you can plug your work on other sites like reddit or fantasy fb groups (though they all have strict guidelines for self promotion). As long as you have realistic expectations, I have every confidence you'll be able to find readers on here, just takes a bit more work than posting and assuming people will find it without help.

Good luck!

JEPayne Wrote: Welcome! And you might be surprised! If your work is good enough people will read it. Getting visibility is the tricky part but there are things you can do to help yourself along. Be active in the forums (with your story in your sig block), do review swaps to climb the Best Rated rankings, and you can plug your work on other sites like reddit or fantasy fb groups (though they all have strict guidelines for self promotion). As long as you have realistic expectations, I have every confidence you'll be able to find readers on here, just takes a bit more work than posting and assuming people will find it without help.

Good luck!
Thanks so much! There's so many stories on here so I imagine it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. I've seen some newer ones rise quickly, but again they mostly seem to be LitRPG or Dungeon Core. This will be my first time ever posting something I've written so it's a little nerve-wracking. But I'll never know till I try.

How does the review swap thing work anyway?

TealiciousTea Wrote: Head to here in the forums. You can review swap on other people's threads or create your own. Person A and person B agree on terms and review one another's stories. 

If you have a relationship with another author you can dm about review swaps. I don't recommend cold calling but that is up to you.
Thanks for the information! I'll check this out.

Clairisa Wrote: Welcome to Royal Road! I'm also new and don't write most of the popular genre here. But I'm still figuring it out. I'm sure you'll find a audience here for your novels. What's your story about?  peoapproval
Thanks for the welcome! It's nice to hear from another new author! Here is a brief summary of the concept, but the actual synopsis will be more detailed and include the main characters. Be warned though, I am terrible at writing summaries. :p

In the nation of Arcadia the cold carves bone deep and its citizens are divided by blood—those with the rarest blood type suffer the affliction, magical abilities that manifest themselves when the user is thrust into dangerous situations. The noble elite want to control this power by forcing those with this blood type into labor assignments and the invention of a device that suppresses their abilities. But even among the elite there are those with abilities working in the shadows.