Re: No wonder Brandon Sanderson can't write fantasy!!!!!

Jepson Wrote: I mean, to each their own of course. But, that's a bold claim against one of the current best-selling fantasy writers. Sounds like you dislike "hard" or "law and limit" magic systems.
Well, it is just my opinion. Not sure I'd call it a claim. When I think of the spren in Stormlight, or the magic orbs that take in stormlight, I forget what they're called, and that those go into the armor that you stand in and it closes up, it's just power armor with magical batteries. The spren are manifestations of human psychology. I feel like there's too much underlying science in his writing. His "fantasy" really does feel like pseudo science to me, and I had this mild impression while he was my favorite author, so this opinion hasn't come because I've got a gripe, but my dislike of these shortcomings as I see them have certainly become far more pronounced for me.

Re: No wonder Brandon Sanderson can't write fantasy!!!!!

LambentTyto Wrote:
Jepson Wrote: I mean, to each their own of course. But, that's a bold claim against one of the current best-selling fantasy writers. Sounds like you dislike "hard" or "law and limit" magic systems.
Well, it is just my opinion. Not sure I'd call it a claim. When I think of the spren in Stormlight, or the magic orbs that take in stormlight, I forget what they're called, and that those go into the armor that you stand in and it closes up, it's just power armor with magical batteries. The spren are manifestations of human psychology. I feel like there's too much underlying science in his writing. His "fantasy" really does feel like pseudo science to me, and I had this mild impression while he was my favorite author, so this opinion hasn't come because I've got a gripe, but my dislike of these shortcomings as I see them have certainly become far more pronounced for me.

You said it yourself, those 'shortcomings' are only shortcomings for you and others as you see them, due to your tastes - which is fine. To be honest I see them that way too; IMO Rhythm of War could have been 400 pages shorter with a lot of that being removed from the
Spoiler :
Navani/Raboniel science lab sections, as well as the overly technical fight scenes
and been a much better book for it. However, some people are really into that kind of thing and I've seen a lot of people who liked RoW cite those chapters specifically as ones they enjoyed. I'm not sure if you're arguing that hard magic books should be considered science-fantasy or a different genre other than fantasy (I would disagree), or that they are worse than soft magic books - which as you said is your opinion, just like Tolkien's quote above is his opinion.