Minimalist, Symbolic, or Classic fantasy book cover art?

Despite my lack of awareness if someone already asked this or not, but I wish to know this myself: Which cover art style do you prefer, or that makes you want to read,  and why?

Is it minimalist? THE TITLE itself, with certain typography and theme of course, will attract the readers.

Is it symbolic? A PIECE OF ART or ICON that can be served as an important part of the overall story to intrigue the reader.

Or is it the classic? THE ILLUSTRATION OF AN EVENT or MORE LIKE AN ILLUSTRATED POSTER for the story to excite the reader. 

All of us has a preference/s on what beauty we see in a cover art, because it covers a meaningful message of what the story could tell- which makes us go "wow". I figured this thread is the best place for this question. I also wish a welcome to your knowledge of how to make such a fine minimalist, symbolic, or a classic style (basically speaking, unleash your inner artistic-designer spirit).  

Re: Minimalist, Symbolic, or Classic fantasy book cover art?

Freckles Wrote: The last two

Symbolic & Classic

As long as it is not Generic

I don't like when a Book Cover looks like all the rest as in being Generic = Same as any other

One where when you see it you know * That's the one!
I see. When it comes to cover art, it needs to "stand out" and become an iconic image to the novel. In other words. its remembrance makes you think "Oh may god, that's the book!"

mjcervanez Wrote:
eric_river Wrote:
i quite like when characters are featured in the art
it gives me a feel for what the book is like in part
though i must admit, i do like minimalism
so i do like symbols or at least symbolism
DrakanThinking
I began to realize, too. Sure, my novel has an illustration, but I wonder what I could create more by making less in my cover art.

"less is more" is so often the lesson that we face
but it's hard to pick a thing you've crafted to erase
i quite like your cover by the way, it's cool indeed
though in thumbnail form the details might be hard to read
PeoReading

eric_river Wrote:
mjcervanez Wrote:
eric_river Wrote:
i quite like when characters are featured in the art
it gives me a feel for what the book is like in part
though i must admit, i do like minimalism
so i do like symbols or at least symbolism
DrakanThinking
I began to realize, too. Sure, my novel has an illustration, but I wonder what I could create more by making less in my cover art.

"less is more" is so often the lesson that we face
but it's hard to pick a thing you've crafted to erase
i quite like your cover by the way, it's cool indeed
though in thumbnail form the details might be hard to read
PeoReading
Thank you! Though I am beginning to agree. Sure, the illustration tells the story, but the title itself was feeling left out. I'm already making plans and concepts of a new minimalist cover for the sake of attraction. Who knows? Maybe a new cover art will finally address the tone of my novel from the book cover itself. 

HorusMyDude Wrote: For big fantasy works? I adore classic covers, with the big illustrated piece. Just really feels cool and it pulls you into the world more. 

Plus if it's a really weird, generic 80s/90s cover, I've got a soft spot for those.
I see, I see. Come to think of it, your words are the best way to describe when seeing classic art- that's what I'm trying to aim with my novel book cover lol. I also dug into 80/90s, it unlocks my fake memories. 

HWPerfidy Wrote: I prefer classic covers. No offense intended to lovers of the other two, I’m sure they’re lovely in their own way, but personally when I look at a minimalist cover, it reminds me of the thing where a banana taped to the wall was being called “art”.
I get where you're going at- since in classical art, clearly, tells a story when the reader made a first glance to the cover. The classic art tells so much (A very strong representation of show, not tell- but can tell thanks to the title),  it already makes the reader establish of what the world and the characters are like. But note to self that NEVER underestimate the complexity of the simplicity. 

SRo-se Wrote: My favorite is Symbolic. I like Minimalist occasionally, but Symbolic is one I'm weak for. If you get it right, you'd have something wonderful, for example the Final Fantasy franchise logos.
Ah yes, that one. Aside from the title, it holds a treasure inside a locked chest, ready to opened. Or when a rolled scroll ready to be read when revealed. Or even an encrypted message or code, waiting to be decoded with enough curiosity, reviewing, and translating.