Do Stats Really Matter In LitRPG?

Recently I have been working on my LitRPG novel, and I am questioning whether or not stats really matter. Here I am about to distribute my MC's unused Stat Points and I am 8 chapters in and I am just thinking to myself that it seems rather pointless. Even when I am reading LitRPG's I almost always just briefly consider stats. I know that it's an important part of making it feel like your MC is progressing, but it almost feels like that is the only purpose. 

For me I like seeing the MC progress his city and power, I do, but how many times have stats actually impacted the story? 

Eh, just my thoughts at the moment. What do you all think? 

Re: Do Stats Really Matter In LitRPG?

As said above, it varies and depends on the author.

I've read stories where stats are in the 100's of thousands, but have no meaning other than to compare to people fighting.

The difficult starts when an author begins his system based on old school RPGs. Especially dungeons and dragons. There is nothing wrong with this, but we are saying that a human ranges between 3 and 18 for his stats. 

If we start with 18-20 is a very strong human, and 30 is an ogre than can lift half a ton, then stats having meaning. Sometimes those first few chapters/levels show examples where putting 3 points into CON or AGILITY make the difference between life and death. Stats matter.

Then the guy gets a level and gets +2Strength, +2 Dex and +4 to any other stat. He's superhuman at level 2. Or he gets a sword with +10 STR and is killing shit right and left. Stats don't mean as much.

Worse, some authors actually ignore the stats. They write a store, and toss out numbers when convenient, being Litrpg really in name only. 

Every story is different. Some people like a crunchy story where stats matter. Others complain of 'too many blue boxes and stat sheets'. 

As a reader, take a look at the story, decide if you enjoy reading it. Read what you like.
As an author, if you want to write LitRPG or have a 'system' in the story, then you need to decide how it works before starting your story and then be consistent.
JMHO

Paradoxcloud Wrote: *Cough* Litrpg and wuxia has nothing to do with numbers, skills or stages. *Cough*

Pollen season heh.
I mean this is technically true and all, but it is the mindset of a casual gamer, not someone who is minmaxing their build. And I expect the latter from an overpowered character, because doing things the smart way is the only thing what will separate the hard workers from all the other hard workers. (Well, that and money.)

In competitive gaming (and, I would assume, in a life-and-death litRPG setting) every single stat point might matter. 

Haust Wrote:
Paradoxcloud Wrote: *Cough* Litrpg and wuxia has nothing to do with numbers, skills or stages. *Cough*

Pollen season heh.
I mean this is technically true and all, but it is the mindset of a casual gamer, not someone who is minmaxing their build. And I expect the latter from an overpowered character, because doing things the smart way is the only thing what will separate the hard workers from all the other hard workers. (Well, that and money.)

In competitive gaming (and, I would assume, in a life-and-death litRPG setting) every single stat point might matter.

Yea, but not all settings have the MC being gamers or being in a VRMMO setting. Plus that post was more about how authors use stats as a story device rather than an actual spreadsheet that needs to be followed.

Pollen season heh.
I disagree with your post heavily. Of course numbers, skills and stages matter, as long as the author thought things through. An ogre shouldn't die from an arrow to his face because, depending on the setting, his skin/bones are too hard to be penetrated by a normal arrow. This is even more obvious in cultivation stories because qi strengthens the body and makes people harder to kill. The real-world logic can't be applied to those type of stories, it's the same as having an invisible armor protecting your body. The problem is that most authors fail to show the actual PHYSICAL differences in stats and cultivation stages. Like, if you had 10 in STR and then raised it to 20, did it make you twice as strong? Let's say you were capable of bench pressing 50 kg 10 times, and now you can bench press 100 kg 10 times. This will make stats matter, but on another hand, even if you bench press two times as much, it doesn't necessary means that you are way harder to kill. For that, you'd need to improve other stats, get better armor, having magical protection or skills, etc. Some authors go as far as making stats/stages really meaningless when they literally do nothing. This is understandable for an VR type of story, but they are minority. And the saddest part is that most people don't really care, it's far from being the most important part of a story for it to get popular. For example, Azarinth Healer suffers from useless stats that don't seem to really affect real physical capabilities of people, like in a video game.

Yes, but you can make up for it by having other highlights in your story/style/plot/characterization. 

As with all elements, save for maybe spelling and grammar, it's up to an author how much an aspect of writing is a cornerstone and how much it's window dressing.

There are few right answers to be given and most reasonable people will say that, unless you start asking writers about the Oxford comma.