What's the story of your name?

So, I've been on this site for about two months, and I've seen a bunch of different names. Some of them are quite quirky and weird.
I've always kind of wondered where some of them came from. So! I made a thread, hoping those weird name holders come on here and tell me, without me reaching out to them.
I am someone who believes that everything has a story to tell, so go on and tell the denizens of Royalroad about yours!

I'll start things off:
So, as you can see, my user is Lire. You can also see that my pfp is a Lyre icon.
You might think that my name comes from my love of playing that instrument.
But you're wrong.
Although I did play it in 5th and 6th grade when I joined this band-ish club, I didn't particularly like it. Because it was effing hard to learn the songs, and parts of the instruments would get stolen by other members of my club who'd lost parts of their Lyres.
My name is actually just a combination of the first two letters of my last name and the first two letters of my first name.
I did it this way, because one day, a friend of mine did it with his name, and he got POOP as a result. I laughed so hard at the time, and wanted to try it out with mine.
It just turned out that the result was homophone of an instrument that I used to play. So I've stuck with it since that time. When I play a game, I would usually name my account Lire. (Although, some games don't allow names with just 4 characters, so I have a backup username.)
Anyways, that's the story of my username. Nothing weird, a bit underwhelming, but there it is.

What's yours?
DrakanFascinating

Re: What's the story of your name?

My parents were high on drugs when they named me. I wasn't cognizant at the time due to being a newborn baby who was using all my brain power to keep breathing, but I know they were super stoned.

Theophilus Bertrand Green...

Doesn't roll off the tongue, does it?

Anyway, it's obvious nobody was going to keep using a four syllable name when talking to me, so I just became "Theo" after that. "Theo G." Is an even more truncated form of my name, and yes, it's also a joke.

True story time:

A few years ago, I needed to buy a bus pass for my town in Poland, so off I went with the missus to the office which issued them.
Most Polish people would have handed over their national ID card or school ID but being foreign, I didn't have one of them. I had my passport, which was written in English.
I handed it to the lady behind the counter and a look of acute puzzlement crossed her face. She didn't understand a thing on the info page and was too proud to ask me what my name was. But, dammit, there was a bus pass that needed issuing, and she wasn't going to let bemusement conquer her. Not that day!

She handed me my bus pass. I looked down to inspect my new prized possession and lo! I had become THOMAS CITIZEN, Thomas being my middle name and Citizen from the nationality section. Cool name, I thought, very cool.

The lady wasn't best pleased when my Polish-speaking wife pointed out the error, and she didn't let me keep the card. Pity really.

My own name has to do with the usernames of video games I’ve used in the past. Since in those video games, you couldn’t repeat usernames with other players, it was an attempt to see what kind of obscure word I could use that no one had ever thought of before. I eventually passed the username making stage with Perfidy, and it’s been my game username ever since, because it’s pretty foolproof as a word nobody ever uses as their username.

As for the HW part, it’s the first letters of the words 寒雾 (han wu), which means cold mist. Has to do with my middle name being related to snow and the nickname my friends call me being Haze. I added that to the front of perfidy after one incident where perfidy was taken as a username, and it’s stuck.

HWPerfidy Wrote: My own name has to do with the usernames of video games I’ve used in the past. Since in those video games, you couldn’t repeat usernames with other players, it was an attempt to see what kind of obscure word I could use that no one had ever thought of before. I eventually passed the username making stage with Perfidy, and it’s been my game username ever since, because it’s pretty foolproof as a word nobody ever uses as their username.

As for the HW part, it’s the first letters of the words 寒雾 (han wu), which means cold mist. Has to do with my middle name being related to snow and the nickname my friends call me being Haze. I added that to the front of perfidy after one incident where perfidy was taken as a username, and it’s stuck.

Yours was one of the names I was curious about. I'm glad I lured you in here.
DrakanSmug

Lire Wrote:
HWPerfidy Wrote: My own name has to do with the usernames of video games I’ve used in the past. Since in those video games, you couldn’t repeat usernames with other players, it was an attempt to see what kind of obscure word I could use that no one had ever thought of before. I eventually passed the username making stage with Perfidy, and it’s been my game username ever since, because it’s pretty foolproof as a word nobody ever uses as their username.

Yours was one of the names I was curious about. I'm glad I lured you in here.
DrakanSmug
Argh I was baited  DrakanSweat

I had a character called Crow, and she in turn had a pet crow. Being kind of simple-minded, she named that crow Crow, unaware of the confusion it might cause. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? That pet was just Crow's crow Crow. Crow didn't see any problem with that.

So, when I needed an account name I tried 'Crow' which was either already taken or too short, so I tried the pet instead. Which was convoluted enough to work out. 

I really really like railgun S. Or liked...I still like the show but its been nearly a decade since that came out (2013) and I'm less obsessed with it.

Blue lightning was a handle that was less weebish than "mikoto-misaka" and linked in that I really like characters with lighting abilities so I've been using it for the past X years. (42/the meaning to life the universe and everything is my goto number when just the name is taken)
https%3A%2F%2F33.media.tumblr.com%2F13b0c85b8d82...o1_500.gif

Profile picture has the same story in that I edited it to fit nicely in circular frames.

CrowsCrowCrow Wrote: So, when I needed an account name I tried 'Crow' which was either already taken or too short, so I tried the pet instead. Which was convoluted enough to work out.

Oh god. I've never thought of that. Next time, when a site doesn't accept four letter user names, I'll just try "LireLireLire"!

Selina Airey isn't my real name; I wanted to write under an alias. My grandfather picked my birth name, and it's not one that I'm a fan of. I once asked my mother what she would have called me if she had chosen the name, and she said probably Selina or something. I wasn't sure if she was serious or not, but I liked it. Airey is a fairly common surname in the region of England where I now live. 

God, I wish I had some zany story about how I came up with something like Snellod, Goddess of Snails but truth be told, it pretty much boils down to me being heckin' bored.

To all those still in university/school during the pandemic, do you remember all those times you browsed your social media sites to relieve the sheer boredom that your latest lecture is eliciting? Did you ever have times when this boredom lasted so long that your social media sites of choice have been so utterly drained of any new and interesting content that staring at them is now almost as boring as the lecture? I suspect a decent number of you said yes to both questions. But have you ever gotten so bored you made custom Magic: The Gathering cards in the middle of a lecture?!

I realise that's probably the nerdiest thing I could possibly ever claim to have done, but you know what screw you, custom magic cards are cool as heck, I won't listen to a gosh darn word to the contrary. I spent some time making some cards for some of my DnD PCs, some meme-y joke cards (although I preferred the serious ones), when I began to run out of useful saved images on my laptop.

Now, here's where the story gets a lil fragmented, cos I'm currently tired out my mind and my memories not brilliant at the best of times. I'm currently so sleep deprived I misspelled sites as sights earlier this message, and misspelled misspelled as mispelled this very sentence. Point is, I either had the image saved from a different time I was bored as all heck in a lecture and decided to make a random picrew, or I went out my way to make a picrew for this card. In the end, said card turned out like this.
https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FcPSCZ1l.png

Is it balanced? Befitting the colour pie? No idea! Despite being very strongly based on the design of existing Theros God cards, I was very new to magic, hence being so obsessed with it as to make my own cards, so I'd be surprised if I nailed it right out the gate. Still can't really evaluate it now, party cos of the aforementioned sleep depravity, mostly because even years later, I'm not that good at magic.

Still, I fell in love with this design, and utterly in love with the name Snellod because it just sounded so fun and goofy. After showing my younger sister the picrew maker I made Snellod in, my sister made some snails of her own, which all look better than poor Snellod, and I believe she was the one who made a google doc with the lore of the snails we were making and once Snellod and the snail pantheon had stories (well, character bios, really), I simply adored her. Snellod that is. 

As this whole snowballing Snellod appreciation thing was going on, I was growing increasingly dissatisfied with my other online personae at the time and so it was kinda a no-brainer to use Snellod's name when deciding to put my writings on Royal Road. Unique, eye-catching and I had a strong personal connection to it, unlike other options. As to why it became Goddess of Snails instead of God?

Well, Snellod was always meant to be a goddess of snails, but the Theros gods I was basing her card off all used God in their name, even Thassa and Nylea, who were women. Plus, Snellod, Goddess of Snails just has a better ring to it in my opinion and as an added bonus, I thought putting goddess in my name may help me avoid misgendering, considering there are parts of the internet which assume anyone is a guy unless specified otherwise.

So yeah, that is the quarter of an essay I wrote on how I get my name. Is it too long? Overly explained? Not remotely interesting? No idea, I'm too tired to tell, and even if the above is accurate I regret nothing. This was fun for me, okay, and I'm too tired to edit/delete it all now!