Re: Is Star Wars A Good Example?

Interesting question. 

For me, it really has a strong mythical sci-fi vibes to it- given the fact that it takes place in space and on extraterrestrial planets and places in epic scales. Star Wars is at least one of the best examples of world building (more like galaxy building), imo. Also, the fact that we get invested with the characters, the lore, especially the force is what it makes such a fine one to look up to. 

I always thought of Star Wars as a western in space. Firely fits that description as well. But we also have space wizards and space princesses so I can see the fantasy element.

If you go way back, an earlier examble of a smash-up is Conan. The stories from the 20's and 30's in weird tales took an Adventure character and threw him into a horror story most of the time. Conan fought ancient monsters, black wizards, corrupted gods and all sorts of horror elements in his early stories. They are so iconic now, that we don't notice. 

There were also a mix of detective/adventure and detective/horror stories in the pulps. 

One of my favorite comics is Grimjack. The MC is a hard boiled detective. He's also a mercenary and an untrained wizard, and the setting is Horror/Scifi/Magic/Adventure, and anything else. Literally, ANYTHING ELSE. The city, Cynosure, is where a thousand dimensions cross over. So crossing a street takes you to a part of town where guns don't work, a doorway sends you to a few blocks of sentient buildings who view people as fleas, or high tech gets low-grade sentience. 

DanceLikeAFool Wrote: Science Fiction, or 'speculative fiction', is a genre where a story or plot is moved forward through the use of advanced technologies, theories, and futuristic ideas for things that do not exist yet because of current limitations (ie: convenience, cost, current science, inadequate material). Claiming something isn't science fiction because the author didn't include a blueprint of the prototype ray gun and how it relates to modern physics is a weak argument.

"Future" 'that do not exist yet'
Star wars was set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Fantasy :)

It’s science fiction and it’s fantasy. Some branches of Star Wars media are more space opera, others are more Western. Genre is rarely hard and fast and all-encompassing. “Speculative fiction” is a great umbrella term for all things dealing with the fantastical, the unreal, and the theoretical in a fictional context. But a lot of the things which fall under that umbrella defy definition within just one genre alone. 

Like Frankenstein, often hailed as the first science fiction novel ever. But it’s also frequently classified as horror, gothic, and literary fiction. 
I think this kind of thing is a point of debate mostly for the sake of debate itself, and for people (especially authors) who’ve cultivated a sense of elitism over what is and isn’t “real” (fill in genre of choice here) 

Quote:I think this kind of thing is a point of debate mostly for the sake of debate itself, and for people (especially authors) who’ve cultivated a sense of elitism over what is and isn’t “real” (fill in genre of choice here) 

A good assessment I think :)

I have really enjoyed reading the thoughts of everyone. All but one of my stories have been a mix of sci-fi/fantasy (more recently romance added). I love to read books mixing them and l as a writer I like the freedom it brings. 

By books stating it has both elements, I know what to expect :)

BB Wrote:
DanceLikeAFool Wrote: Science Fiction, or 'speculative fiction', is a genre where a story or plot is moved forward through the use of advanced technologies, theories, and futuristic ideas for things that do not exist yet because of current limitations (ie: convenience, cost, current science, inadequate material). Claiming something isn't science fiction because the author didn't include a blueprint of the prototype ray gun and how it relates to modern physics is a weak argument.

"Future" 'that do not exist yet'
Star wars was set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Fantasy :)

This is like claiming that a Revolutionary War AU story featuring anachronistic technology like laser muskets or M-16's is fantasy. But go off I guess. 
Of course, they're both fantasy. And they can both be sci-fi.

DanceLikeAFool Wrote: This is like claiming that a Revolutionary War AU story featuring anachronistic technology like laser muskets or M-16's is fantasy. But go off I guess.
Of course, they're both fantasy. And they can both be sci-fi.

I like the way you think.

How much does "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" have to do with is it sci fi or fantasy. Despite the Pern novels being on a planet settled by space exploration, I think of them as fantasy.