Curious about Royal Road's Community

Hello, I'm new to this site and I'm curious about the demographics a little bit as far as the reader to writer, female to male ratio is. I know most writers are also readers, but are there more people here for the constant stream of stories or are most people here actively writing on top of reading? What genres are the most active on RR? Should I consider giving a popular RR genre a try for my next story? Do RR readers like Sci-fi/ GameLit?

Any feedback is much appreciated. Good luck in your stories and I've really enjoyed getting to know my way around this site. It's great.

Re: Curious about Royal Road's Community

LitRPG is the most popular genre here although there's a good audience for sci-fi and fantasy as well. Don't have any hard numbers but I get the impression that there are far more readers than writers here. To read stories on Royal Road you don't need to have an account and it does seem that a majority of views are from readers without an account. Have no idea of the male/female ratio, but have noticed more participation in the Forums by women over the last year or so. As to whether you should write an LitRPG really depends on if it's something you'd enjoy.

Interesting questions! 

I don't know the answers to any of them either, but I did hear that the male/female reader ratio was much more male than female before I made my account here; not sure if that's true, and if it is, whether the forum participation is skewed in the opposite direction! I agree with parkertallan: stick to genres that make you want to keep posting, and the readers who enjoy the same genres will find you! But if you're looking to appeal to the majority, GameLit does seem to be the reigning champion here.

DrakanAmused

Hope that was helpful!
Welcome to the forums!

Good luck!

~ Saf

The most notable thing about our demographics, I think, is that the average age of readers might be as high as 30, though the majority of the bell curve probably goes from 18 to 60.  The gender split probably has a slight male majority, but it's not more than 60/40.  Writers to readers varies by subforum so I'm not sure how to count it.  If you look at the comments on stories and ignore silent lurkers it looks like at least 100 readers per writer, but the proportion of writers in the forum is much, much higher.

A lot of successful authors don't read on RR (Shirtaloon, TheFirstDefier, etc.). I'd say that popular books are probably something like 95% LitRPG, Xianxia, Gmaelit, or Wuxia, with Sci-Fi as maybe 5%. All successful stories I've seen have been Action-Adventure Fantasy. Among the 275000 Royalroad accounts, assuming all accounts have 2 fictions (I'd say that is around average), and there are about 40000 fictions on RR, there would be 20000 or so authors, so the ratio of authors to readers is about one author to 14 readers. 

Readers like cool concepts, easy to read styles, consisent updates, likeable characters etc. The more quantity of words the better but have them in short ish chapters. A fun story that is not too different but something fresh. What makes RR different is the secret society of Blue Box Supremacy. They have only one aim and that is to read stories with blue boxes in them. Fear or love it. All are under the dominion of the Blue Box.

peogentleman  

Hahah, don't let them scare you off. It's true that LitRPG and blue boxes are popular, but if you look at the "Best Completed" and "Best On-going" lists, you'll see that not all of them are LitRPGs or even gamelit. 

I think sci-fi tends to be a bit smaller than fantasy here, but if it's also gamelit, I don't foresee too many issues with getting a few readers. 

Good luck! 

REAL hard SciFi is unpopular. Gamelit is a bit of a weird category that has its own following, but will not grow beyond that, it has a definite saturation level.

There are more female writers here than in other places. Writer talent seems to be inversely proportional to the amount we run our mouths on the forums, which may be because we are writing messages instead of stories. Some of the most prolific forumites, like me, write the least notable stories.

There are more female readers here compared to males than in other places, but we are still vastly outnumbered.

There is a definite checklist of subjects that will make your book popular, no matter how crappy it may be, as evidenced by some of the most popular books on the site. They hit all the right points, even if the entire story is just eternal groundhog day at Hogwart's, or a selfish isekai jerk runs a magical Wuxia farm. And thus they are hugely successful despite being absolute garbage. Just like Avatar or Captain Marvel.

Read those books if you want to succeed here. Don't count on trivialities like character development, worldbuilding, plot, story, and writing talent.
(Excuse me, I am still channeling my cynical realist protagonist. I method write.)

BB Wrote: REAL hard SciFi is unpopular. Gamelit is a bit of a weird category that has its own following, but will not grow beyond that, it has a definite saturation level.

There are more female writers here than in other places. Writer talent seems to be inversely proportional to the amount we run our mouths on the forums, which may be because we are writing messages instead of stories. Some of the most prolific forumites, like me, write the least notable stories.

There are more female readers here compared to males than in other places, but we are still vastly outnumbered.

There is a definite checklist of subjects that will make your book popular, no matter how crappy it may be, as evidenced by some of the most popular books on the site. They hit all the right points, even if the entire story is just eternal groundhog day at Hogwart's, or a selfish isekai jerk runs a magical Wuxia farm. And thus they are hugely successful despite being absolute garbage. Just like Avatar or Captain Marvel.

Read those books if you want to succeed here. Don't count on trivialities like character development, worldbuilding, plot, story, and writing talent.
(Excuse me, I am still channeling my cynical realist protagonist. I method write.)
You channel that cynical realism. Someone needs to KEEP IT REAL.