Any of You Have This Experience(Story Related)

As I am looking through my works, on the view count. I noticed something interesting, if not hilarious. You see, when it comes to the finales. I noticed readers either skip over the previous part of the finale, and reads the last. That or there is a chance they might be rereading it. Either way, I noticed this being consistent throughout almost all of my works. Even my shorts, where the last part tends to have more views than the previous. Might just be a coincidence, but I find it hilarious.  DrakanLaugh

Re: Any of You Have This Experience(Story Related)

Shomin Wrote: Guilty! I never read your work, but it pretty much explain my reading habit when I choose to binge a completed book.
Blurb> first chapter> end chapter> decide whether I wanna spend time on the whole book.
Pretty much explain probably there are people who also did the same. Just my pov.
DrakanBook
That might not be a good idea with me, I tend to set traps in my finales. You’d essentially have to read the previous in most cases.  DrakanLaugh

Even then, I might set even more extensive traps. I tend to get a bit creative. 

When an author gets repetitive with their story and has multiple similar arcs well beyond the end of the first or second best arc, I will jump to the end to get the closure I was waiting for in the natural ending of the book several chapters back. It could be a sign that you are writing too far beyond the natural end of your stories and getting into the churn of filler events to push your story out to keep it serialized. 

Xian Wrote: When an author gets repetitive with their story and has multiple similar arcs well beyond the end of the first or second best arc, I will jump to the end to get the closure I was waiting for in the natural ending of the book several chapters back. It could be a sign that you are writing too far beyond the natural end of your stories and getting into the churn of filler events to push your story out to keep it serialized.
Trust me on that, each part is planned. Steadily built upon, and I ensured to cut out scenes that would drag it longer than it should be. I don’t do fillers, other than if it is a short story. Since those are expected to be just additional stuff, that you can choose to skip or not. All of them builds towards a natural end. By the time it reaches the finale, every single chapter will be playing a role. The stories are quite concentrated, so it doesn’t deviate from the plot.

It is just a weird case, as I do recall someone with an even more bizarre thing that happened. Where their previous part was like 400 views, and their next was over 2k. Could also be someone just rereading it, or as the person above said. They could be a new comer that takes a peak at the last chapter.

TEZofAllTrades Wrote: I have noticed that the last part I posted, which is just a preview of the upcoming sequel's cover, has a lot more views than the previous one, which is the final chapter of the story. No idea why, though.
I think there was a recent thread, about readers preferring to spoil what happens, by looking at the ending. Or wanting to know how a story goes right off the bat. This could potentially be what happened. As for the preview of the upcoming sequel, could be fans that are piling in to see it themselves. There are instances where this happens, where your base could see a new thing is coming, and all jumps into the same part.

Edge Wrote:
TEZofAllTrades Wrote: I have noticed that the last part I posted, which is just a preview of the upcoming sequel's cover, has a lot more views than the previous one, which is the final chapter of the story. No idea why, though.
I think there was a recent thread, about readers preferring to spoil what happens, by looking at the ending. Or wanting to know how a story goes right off the bat. This could potentially be what happened. As for the preview of the upcoming sequel, could be fans that are piling in to see it themselves. There are instances where this happens, where your base could see a new thing is coming, and all jumps into the same part.
I wish my book was that popular lol!

Edge Wrote: As I am looking through my works, on the view count. I noticed something interesting, if not hilarious. You see, when it comes to the finales. I noticed readers either skip over the previous part of the finale, and reads the last. That or there is a chance they might be rereading it. Either way, I noticed this being consistent throughout almost all of my works. Even my shorts, where the last part tends to have more views than the previous. Might just be a coincidence, but I find it hilarious.
Same.

Knowing this, I usually title my last chapter as "last chapter of arc X/Y/Z."

Also the comments to a chapter cannot be read without opening the chapter they are commenting at in the browser, which counts as 'read'. As there are notifications if a comment gets an answer, every answer to an comment might trigger another read. When comments are given reputation, that also creates another link to this chapter. And the reputation page of a profile also does not show any details about what comment is given the reputation, so someone wanting to find out where they go reputation for has to open the chapter, thus counting as another read. As last chapters usually have more comments then last but one chapters that increases the read count.

Some people are also read while not being logged in or don't trust the "last chapter read" marker as that is so unreliable. So they might open the last chapter to check if there are new chapters they have not yet read. (This mostly gives each chapter some phantom reads roughly proportional to the amount of time it took until the next chapter was published and also some amount for the final last chapter.

Yes, indeed. I have speculated here it probably is as much a part of the free reading thing. If the conveyor belt of words is moving for free, and time is a limited currency, the leap frog can possibly wind out a story for some, without the investment of time otherwise spent. 

I, like you, want some of that surprise that really won't be fully experienced when skip-hopping. But hey, a reader's prerogative. A curious thing, IMO.