Re: The right way to do a dungeon story

I both agree and disagree with you, because it depends on what type of story you want to tell. If your goal is to write a story about a dungeon digging holes and spawning monsters that adventurers can kill for loot, then having restrictions makes sense. But if you want to tell a story about more than that, those same restrictions can easily turn into unnecessary limitations for the author, and diminish the enjoyment for the reader.

One of the main advantages for reincarnation stories is that your protagonists can use human intelligence, ingenuity and modern knowledge to abuse skills and abilities that native species or dungeons might be too stupid to use to its fullest. If you start adding arbitrary limitation, then you lose that advantage.

One of the stories that come to mind is the Blue Core. I read it quite some time ago, and of course it had problems, but one of the things that I liked about it is that the MC wasn’t really limited that much. If I remember correctly one of the only limitations was that he couldn’t speak to other people. This allowed him to create traps that would not be available to normal dungeons, like creating reservoirs of water that he could flood corridors with, I think even some sort of steam bombs, lasers, up to even contained stars. And now let’s say that he was limited on using only traps that were listed in his predetermined list of traps on his status screen. You lose the whole point of making that dungeon intelligent. You might as well have written a story about a stupid dungeon core that follows its programing to the T.

As I have said, depends on what type of story you want to write. But saying that this is the only way to write something is sort of always wrong.

Something else to keep in mind is that not everyone has the same tastes. Something that you might find as bad, others might find as good. Even the Marry Sues that I personally dislike.

I’ve alwyas thought that dungeon stories should play more into the nature side of their existence.

Like a tree growing it’s roots in many directions, a dungeon would grow deep and in many directions, all to avoid the core from being destroyed. Humans and monsters coming from above acting as valuable boons or pests. The humans and monsters that do good are given treats or treasure while those that don’t are destroyed.

I always thought it should be the opposite. A dungeon is a loot making machine, and should just establish proper trade to get the stuff they need to grow, instead of waiting for adventurers to come around and die. 

If we go by pure game logic here, and the dungeon core is intelligent, then there should be multiple trade groups camping outside any given newborn dungeon in the hopes of trading all their junk in bulk in exchange for a specific loot drop. 

There was a thread about what dungeons are, if I recall correctly.

For my part, I would say define exactly what dungeons are and under what rules they operate before writing a dungeon-core novel. Most of the novels I've read fall into the fallacy of making them a run-of-the-mill OP MC without planning further than the first couple of levels/floors, and the descending into OP MC tropes and finally abandoning the whole thingy.

why not both? a story about a Dungeon who digs Holes, spawns Monsters and kills Adventurers who want to dig him up because the more powerful he becomes, the more freedom he gets. first restrictions that come off are downwards/underground until a certain threshold is achieved and your oversaturated with Mana/Monsters and you can have a dungeon spill where your boundaries gets temporarily removed and you can invade the overworld. if nobody bothers with you and prunes the monsters within it, they are screwed. if you can hold a certain amount of overworld domain for a time like king of the hill style, it becomes part of your domain where you can influence the surroundings just like your dungeon. the goal for you is Corrupt the whole world so that you can feel the whole world because Dungeons can only sense whats in their Domain and if the world is yours you see everything. Maybe you become the planet at the end and invade other planets after that like the burning Legion from Warcraft.