Re: Favorite/Least favorite tropes in LitRPG?

I don’t know if these are tropes, mostly they are things that I have seen so many times over the years that I can’t stand them anymore.

Arrogant young masters. I think I have seen hundreds of these characters and at this point I just groan with exasperation. I mean, add a bit of character to your characters. You know what I mean?

Making your main character smart by dumbing down everyone else. Or introducing a problem, but the MC instantly pulls a solution out of nowhere, without showing that the MC prepared in any way beforehand. It’s lazy and fake as far as I am concerned.

Adding modern morals to medieval societies without doing anything to justify them. It’s just bad worldbuilding at that point.

Marry Sue characters that have a perfect solution for every problem.

Female characters that behave like they are four years old. This gets even worse if the author adds romance with those types of characters. Averting eye contact, blushing and stuttering while speaking is not romance, especially not between adults.

To expand on the romance, harems where the girls have more in common with inflatable dolls than real characters.

Useless magic. I have seen so many magic systems where throwing rocks would be more useful than the few spells that they can cast that deal very little damage.

Now, the reason why I love reading LitRPGs is manly the progression, but only under the circumstances where the author shows what increasing stats does. There are a lot of LitRPGs where if you compare a character when they had 20 in each stat and 100, you would see no difference. Just increasing a number without showing the effect means nothing to me.

But man, when a LitRPG has real characters, good worldbuilding, interesting magic systems, and progression done well, they are such a joy to read.

My most hated trope personally is mc's that literally do nothing but are handed everything. This part I don't mind so much but it gets really annoying when aide characters don't see it and seem to think the mc is like some kind of a hero when the power was literally just thrown at their face.

My most loved is an easy to understand progression system. I don't care about millions of stat's. I care about knowing that if they add points in str it's actually relevant. I hate it when a book describes a bad monster or enemy as being superior in a stat but the mc still takes em down without any issue etc.

Least favorite trope is system hacking but that can be mitigated if its done really really well. Either up or down.

The point of a litrpg system is to feel like any effort you put in is rewarded in some way. You can stat points and get slightly stronger. You gain skills and can do crazy things.

I HATE when those "gifts" are taken away in any shape or form. I get that it makes sense for a system that can give stuff to take it away but it immediately makes me nope out of any progression.

If a character grinds for hours and gets a stat point that feels natural. If that stat point can just be yoinked by a god who decides to nerf the character or stolen and given to someone else it invalidates any work they made and makes any work they decide to do in the future pointless. 

Similarly if one character works hard grinding stat points and the other one trips and falls on a dead dragon and the system decides to reward them with 999 stat points I nope out. Tricking the system into giving them someone else's points into giving them a bunch of unearned points every single type of system hacking is frowned upon.

I don't care about momentary nerfs or dungeons that remove stuff temporarily or items that seal powers given I only hate outwrite taking away of power even if they end up stealing it back or being gifted it back or whatever.

My exception is stuff like edge cases which is phenomenal and doesn't feel like system hacking but abusing how the magic system works. Thats a fun sort of meta hacking instead of a progression killer.
---
I guess my favorite trope is when the system is seen as made by the magic system. Stuff like Ar'Kendrithyst where you find out far into it alot of the aspects that are being automated by the system.

I like [system] systems that are built beside and interact with magic systems that are actual full blown thought out magic systems...as opposed to ones that are packaged "the system gives people magic" or ones where "magic" is just alien technology and there's some hidden satellite manipulating everything when system users use a spell.

I like when the simple form of spells under the system is "Point at something and shoot a fireball" but the underlying magic system is a whole bunch of complicated arcane interactions that the system is making available and easy to use.

Snakefist Wrote: Female characters that behave like they are four years old. This gets even worse if the author adds romance with those types of characters. Averting eye contact, blushing and stuttering while speaking is not romance, especially not between adults.
I barely noticed this as a teen because it's such a prevalent trope that literally everyone was doing it. Thank god that trend went down with time. Nowadays I notice it immediately and it's almost always obnoxious.

Addendum to this, when the very first character the MC meets of the sex they're attracted to becomes the love interest. This is groan-worthy on its own merits and crops up near constantly in isekai and litrpg. But combined with the infantilizing you mentioned? It's unbearable and will have me almost instantly checking out.

Just recently, I've been really turned off of several stories due to the kidnapping trope. I don't like how it steals the protagonist's agency, and it just feels so ... lazy.

I also abhor reducing numbers or losing skills. I had Alpha Physics favorited, and then a chapter came up where the stats went backward. I was like, "Nope. Not Interested."

For my favorite, I just want quantifiable progression that matters.

Not sure if these are tropes and these topics are not bad just overly done. There are always exceptions to.

I have read several stories staring antiheroes recently that have really annoyed me. Those stories are portrayed as dark and gritty and the MC is basically killing everyone that don't agree with him. My idea of a good antihero is a character that does heroic deeds outside of the law, but they are still suppose to be a hero, and not murder their way to a good ending. (Although a good redemption story would be cool.)

Other tropes are when a character can do everything. Just throw in every archetype into one role Mage+Rogue+Warrior. OP MCs have gotten really boring.

Necromancy have been done a bunch.

Got a lot more but I don't want to come off as complaining too much

Natromo Wrote: Not sure if these are tropes and these topics are not bad just overly done. There are always exceptions to.

I have read several stories staring antiheroes recently that have really annoyed me. Those stories are portrayed as dark and gritty and the MC is basically killing everyone that don't agree with him. My idea of a good antihero is a character that does heroic deeds outside of the law, but they are still suppose to be a hero, and not murder their way to a good ending. (Although a good redemption story would be cool.)

Other tropes are when a character can do everything. Just throw in every archetype into one role Mage+Rogue+Warrior. OP MCs have gotten really boring.

Necromancy have been done a bunch.

Got a lot more but I don't want to come off as complaining too much
I must agree with you here on the necromancers, they are an overdone "class" so to speak.
Especially with the amount of trashy fics that just make the mc a necromancer for reasons.
although i must admit sylver seeker was quite enjoyed by myself

If the MC has two dozen skills each with a level cap of 100, then that's a good sign that the numbers are meaningless.

If killing monsters for the sake of grinding doesn't have anything to do with the plot or have an impact on the world, then skim/skip it.

What I like is when game mechanics change how the world works to follow arbitrary game logic, instead of just taking the whole get stronger by training/fighting thing that's in every piece of fiction and adding some numbers through status/identification to compensate for a lack of substance.

What I find annoying is the OP MCs. Some OPness, like a hack, is acceptable, but starting right off the bat with maxed-out divine tier skills? That just sucks the fun out. 

I also hate it when they disguise rape as romance.

And when the MC spends hundreds of chapters struggling on the moral of killing someone.

And when the MC is in love, they behave like five year olds. Stuttering, blushing, etc.

There's also the plot holes. The novel says that the MC is some super jaded reincarnated criminal. Then, the next scene, shows them blushing because they saw some person half naked, or behaving like a stupid kid.

Some satisfying parts, though, is when the MC encounters some stuck-up dude, and then shows the stuck up dude that they're better than him. Face-slapping when done right.

Lord Wrote: From a writers POV, I hate blue boxes. LitRPG is a very tell don't show genre and the blue boxes are part of the reason.

From a reader's POV, I don't care about 90% of the numbers. They mean nothing to me unless I see them in use.

Can relate to the writer's POV. Can definitely relate to reader's POV. I skip over them most of the time when the author re-caps the character sheet. For every LitRPG story, later on, there will be a giant and long list of skills and abilities I don't really care about. Plus, only a few of them gets used that much.