What does your protagonist want the most?

Protagonist motivations haven't always come easy to me. In a low fantasy series I wrote way back when, my multiple protagonists wanted power, respect, or just to survive. The protagonist of my last book/series on hiatus was basically just trying to survive as well, and doing what he thought was right. But none of my characters were ever really defined by their motives until I wrote Nic in HUD: Wargame, a character obsessed with winning due to some deeply-rooted self esteem issues.

What does your main character want more than anything? And what will they do to get it?

Re: What does your protagonist want the most?

The Truth.

She was raised and brought up as an unassuming pawn and had been led to believe she something she wasn't. The truth becomes important to her.

Others are to explore and learn (to better survive and thrive), to discover what she is, and to develop lasting relationships with others.

Money/Material resources are a massive bonus. She also has mild need for control in certain things (hence the manipulation and scheming)

In short, she develops and changes and grows over time and so does her what she wants the most.

Oh, fun!

Six from Tails of a Cyborg Fox Girl - The power to ensure that she can never be owned by anyone but herself ever again

Juniper from Wicked Honey - To god damn fucking kill that fucking bastard already 

Kore from The Persephone Variant - For everyone to just be safe and have a nice time at school and plenty of synthetic blood to drink for all :) unless something is trying to hurt her or someone she likes in which case it’s to tear all their limbs off at once and watch them writhe on the ground like a fly, a helpless little fly :) :)

Ashwyn from Stormstruck: To marry her monster gf, make pretty art, and never have to eat her friends or turn into a gate

Nik from Mirefall: to save her favorite person from being a rock, to dig up rocks and to catalogue monsters created by rocks

Vi from Lunarborn: to be seen as someone new and entirely separate from the murderous tyrant empress of her past life and also to bang the general 

Beatrice from Foxstone: To solve all the mysteries and problems and master her powers so that she can settle into a nice traditional cottagecore life with five spouses, an army of skeleton thralls, and a creepy child of unknown origins

Great topic!

My MC is a bit unusual. His town (and family) were destroyed in an attack from a giant shadow demon, and he was scarred in the process with a curse to hear the eternal screams of the monster's victims. So he does want to slay the shadow demons, but more than that, he dreams to create a world without misery altogether. The problem is, he'll stop at nothing to achieve it. And in the end, the progenitors of misery extend to more than just shadow demons.

Raz Wrote: Protagonist motivations haven't always come easy to me. In a low fantasy series I wrote way back when, my multiple protagonists wanted power, respect, or just to survive. The protagonist of my last book/series on hiatus was basically just trying to survive as well, and doing what he thought was right. But none of my characters were ever really defined by their motives until I wrote Nic in HUD: Wargame, a character obsessed with winning due to some deeply-rooted self esteem issues.

What does your main character want more than anything? And what will they do to get it?
His sister safe.
As for what he'll do to make sure that happens... Well, let's not think too much about it and say "Anything."

Raz Scrivens Wrote: What does your main character want more than anything? And what will they do to get it?
At this point in time, Ali just wants people to stop blowing other people up, preferably extracting some form of justice (or punishment if she can't get the former) on those responsible. And sleep, and booze. Probably some more booze.

More generally though the character notes I wrote for her originally have her motivations as; acceptance, world change, duty & justice... 🤔 Which makes her seem far more of a naïve do-gooder than she is. 😅