Am I a fool, or a genius?

I figured out a way to overcome the writer's block and actually post something. My chapter is finally writing itself again. But I'm about the make the MC do something extremely stupid, and I don't know whether that would be good or bad for the story. 

Basically, the MC is about to get another character killed. To be specific, I really mean her parent. I feel like this could be a lifesaver for my chapter, or it could make me lose all my readers. Should I do it?

Hmm . . .

Re: Am I a fool, or a genius?

I suspect that writer's block comes from "not seeing what happens next" yet-- on the basis authors don't "create" so much as "discover" their own worlds, and we flounder when everything we test doesn't "feel right", or "it doesn't seem like that's what happened". Like we have to find, feel out, or see, what happens, rather than decide.

If killing off a parent makes the words come easier, I'd argue that scenario must be what happened, then. O.O A sense of stupidity just brings more credence to the notion your character is their own "independent" being. And beings be stupid, careless, or reckless, sometimes. ;P

Knightraveness Wrote: I suspect that writer's block comes from "not seeing what happens next" yet-- on the basis authors don't "create" so much as "discover" their own worlds, and we flounder when everything we test doesn't "feel right", or "it doesn't seem like that's what happened". Like we have to find, feel out, or see, what happens, rather than decide.

If killing off a parent makes the words come easier, I'd argue that scenario must be what happened, then. O.O A sense of stupidity just brings more credence to the notion your character is their own "independent" being. And beings be stupid, careless, or reckless, sometimes. ;P

You have filled a void I didn't know I had. <3

And as for characters dying, many times it adds depth to a world but also depends on what type of world you've created. Are you light-hearted and fun, or grim-dark and filled with tragic happenings? If you are light-hearted and making your readers laugh one moment and then kill off a character the next... it can still work, imo, but you run the risk of breaking your story promises to your reader. But then... breakthroughs come in all forms and chaps I thought would run readers off actually brought me more, and visa versa.

Maybe that'll make sense. I'm running on hours of sleep and dregs of caffeine  FancyDrakan

Either way, you overcame. That in itself is awesome and worth celebrating.

~Rhea

Having a character or MC do something stupid gives the reader a chance to scream "You are so stupid!!! I would never have done that!" and they get even more emotionally involved in the story. 

If it results in a death, the death of a parent, I think they'd get even more involved, and would keep reading to see what kind of karma comes the MC's way.  Or how she redeems herself. 

I've been told my mc should die because she had a lapse in judgment and made a bad decision. So, chances are, you will find some readers that complain. However, based on my character's background and the fact that she has had little experience in the world, having her be perfect and never make mistakes would be extremely unrealistic. 

I personally become more invested in a story when the character is flawed and makes mistakes. It makes them more relatable and you get to experience their development as they are shaped by their experiences. It's particularly interesting to see whether it affects them positively or negatively. Do they become a better person or fall into a downward spiral? I find it more interesting than a predictable character.