Collaborative Writing Test

Sup,

I'm a little fizzled out on writing my current book and have been leaking ideas for new stories like gushing faucet. You know how it is. So, as I do when I want to write, but I can't bring myself to write my current book cuz its stale, I thought up a bunch of lifehacks to make writing easier. I won't bore you with the laundry list but one idea stuck with me and I figured I'd ask even if it's a long shot. 

You miss all the shots you don't take and all that. 

Collaborative Writing. Capitalized. Ooooh scary. 

I originally thought up collaborative writing because I have a lot of ideas (as most of you do) and writing takes time. A lot of time. Like...I'm pretty that despite not finishing a single story, I am approaching more time spent writing than playing Path of Exile, and...yeah. Maybe I suck, but that's saying something. So, if you could have two people write chapters, you can finish up a book in half the time. ahem Lifehack ahem. The thing is, it doesn't sound all that crazy the more I think about it. Sure, with twice the number of people you have twice the number of ideas, but that just means you get to write the coolest ones. Also, with two people its possible - nay probable - that it will devolve into writer and editor since one member takes up more of the workload. 

Butt.....It has so many advantages. 

So...with the Writathon behind us I figured it would be cool to test it out with a...challenge...of sorts. 
DrakanGlasses
The steps are thusly:
- Two sweaty neckbeards (a requirement) meet up on discord and have a 2-3 hr planning session where a basic idea for a story is created and 8 short bulleted lists are created that detail what events occur in each of the first 8 chapters. By the end of the session each writer chooses 4 chapters that most interest them. 
- Then, said neckbeards split off and write their chosen 4 chapters. (Writing on the same document seems hard as snickerdoodles, but I guess if one of y'all is my better three quarters then we can give it a shot)
- Precisely 8 days later, there will be a 2 day period where the partners in arms raise their quills and review and edit the other person's work, writing comments, additions, edits, and changes as they see fit to make the story more cohesive, while simultaneously updating themselves on what their colleague has written. 
- After the 2 day buffer period, both meet up and read the 8 chapters together and come up with a list of plot holes, points of improvement and other changes that need to be changed. Assuming 2-3k words per chapter it should take about an hour and a half to read and with a pucker factor of 2 due to the requisite sprite guzzling and dorito chomping then it should be possible within 3-4 hrs. 
- Over the next 4 days, the allies argue endlessly in a foolish attempt at collaboration while reconsidering the nature of their association.
- Sweaty, tired, hating each other, but satisfied, our intrepid heros step out of the crucible of their own creation and promptly drop the book to gather dust for the next week while they unsuccessfully search for beta readers to rate their actualized creativity. 
- After failing dramatically, the two partners in crime resign themselves and dump all the chapters on RR.
- ???
- Profit?

This assumes both writers can consistently output 1000-1500 words a day, which is a lot but if it's only for a week it's doable. All in all, this should take 2 weeks and should result in a short story that should have 8 chapters that should be well crafted with uniform prose. If it works, then this method could be scaled up or simply serialized to output a pretty incredible amount of story and should scratch the story writing itch. 

Keyword should. 

Anyway....Who's with me!

DrakanPotato 

I sleep now... 
PeoSleep

Re: Collaborative Writing Test

Alas, if only I had time for this. It does sound interesting. There are a number of books that are 'written' by two people. 

Both mainstream popular:
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet

And progression fantasy:
Iron Prince by Bryce O'Connor and Luke Chmilenko

Like you said, I'm not sure how much of these become one person writing and another person doing swaths of editing with basically 'admin mode' turned on haha.

I'd be worried that getting the character voices and author voice to be the same would be a nightmare if the first draft wasn't by one author. Seems like to me, it would be the same as having an audiobook narrator change halfway through your book , but clearly books do it somehow. (And very well at that, both books I mentioned are very good)

With that said, I'd be interested in reading a short story made like this, if nothing else to see how it goes. Good luck in your search for two neckbeards! (Or I guess you would be one?)