Re: Is killing a goblin any different than killing a human?

Is it a Pathfinder goblin?

If so, feel no sorrow for it, because it would eat you without bothering to kill you and they enjoy ripping small children apart and eating the pieces while the child screams.

Is it a Drow Elf?

Feel no sorrow, for they would have sacrificed you to their dark spider goddess and used your blood to fuel their infernal rituals.

Is it a Deep Dwarf?

Feel no sorrow, for they would use your blood and skin to craft weapons and war machines deep within the earth and trap your very immortal soul to scream for all eternity inside one of their infernal machines.

yeah... considering that depending on the story they range from smarter than humans to stupid as a rock and from cute little toddler to a hulking bodybuilder and from a cute rounded shape to a horrifying mismatch of teeth and disgusting skin and from very helpful and polite we mean you no harm to kill and/or F*ck anything on sight...

so be it from moral stand, how physically imposing or how en- or un-joyable smashing their skulls in purely based on sight alone the answer to this is completely pointless unless specifically stated what kind of goblin.... same way the definition of "a human" can be twisted to be anything from a mass serial killer targeting maternity wards to a newborn or a elderly philanthropist on his deathbed.... specify enough parameters so that the correct reply this is not both yes and no at the same time.

BrandonBarrows Wrote: It depends on the work, of course.

The first goblin kill in Grimgar of Fantasy & Ash, my favorite LN, is so brutal that it's almost disturbing, probably more so than any human death I've ever read about.

Is that on ongoing or a finished work, or dropped? I watched the anime and loved it. Anywho, to answer to the main question, it really depends on biases + the author managing to make new ones by directing our empathy. I suspect anyone who read my most recent chapter would be more aghast that dead mice are fed to snakes than that my MC killed something and somewhat slightly freaks, which might annoy the same readers who dislike the mice thing. And both were presented in realistic ways, but they happen in a specific order that makes the second point somewhat hypocritical.

So, goblins. No, not as bad as killing humans. Which could be fun to play with if you give small set-piece cues that killing goblins is maybe morally fraught, don't address it, then have your character be fine murdering humans latter when previously to the killing goblins they might not have been but hey, they got practice in. Why yes, I'm all about events in a story changing a character.

Ralts Wrote: Is it a Pathfinder goblin?

If so, feel no sorrow for it, because it would eat you without bothering to kill you and they enjoy ripping small children apart and eating the pieces while the child screams.

Is it a Drow Elf?

Feel no sorrow, for they would have sacrificed you to their dark spider goddess and used your blood to fuel their infernal rituals.

Is it a Deep Dwarf?

Feel no sorrow, for they would use your blood and skin to craft weapons and war machines deep within the earth and trap your very immortal soul to scream for all eternity inside one of their infernal machines.
This comment absolutely terrifies me because I have no idea what any of these terms are