Poll: Would you rather comment on a story where the author doesn't reply much?

I thought about it a few days ago, and came to the (surprising!) conclusion that YES, I feel better about commenting on stories where the author doesn't reply to comments very often.

I usually like it more to engage in a discussion with the other readers, instead of getting answers/opinions from the author.

And this might be just me, but when an author replies to a comment, I feel it (in a way) might even discourage other readers from replying to that same comment? Kind of "ending" the line of thought, turning it into a 1-on-1 conversation between the author and one reader..? 

Is this just me? Do the other readers agree or disagree? Please reply with "Agree" or "Disagree", I am really interested in the community's opinion on this!!!

I comment on this site quite a bit, and I think I like engaging with my fellow readers more than talking to the author while reading. Kind of like, while watching a movie, I like commenting about it with my friends, but it would feel weird if the producer was sitting next to us and was able to hear our conversations, and interject at any point. A vague sense of awkwardness. Does that make sense?

And sure, talking with authors can be fun too, and is needed when the comment is about giving feedback/typo fixes on the story. But these are a minority of my comments, I think, that I actually refer to the author 

Edit: I don't want to discourage authors from replying to their readers at all, that's not my point and not my goal, I'm just interested in what the readers think about this! It's a fact-finding mission, don't stop replying just because my (random person's) opinion

Re: Poll: Would you rather comment on a story where the author doesn't reply much?

That's a really interesting viewpoint. Not one that I'd thought about before, either. So far though, comments on my story are picking up but I wouldn't say there are any conversations happening yet. I feel like if there was a larger conversation I would stay out of it... but my audience isn't at that stage yet.

Important thing to consider, though! I don't want to discourage comments at all

Re: Poll: Would you rather comment on a story where the author doesn't reply much?

Thought about it. As an author I ended up realizing that indeed, replying will most likely cut off further replies. I don't have the commenter base to actually claim it as true on my side, but after thinking about it, it kind of does. After putting myself in the shoes of a potential reader and commenter, I felt like an author replying to be a bit much. Not sure really...

Of course if it is a question then I either answer and clarify or don't in case of potential spoilers. But I recently felt like I shouldn't reply anymore when it could attract other commenters. It would put more life into the comments one day. 

Personally I like seeing authors respond to comments. I get when authors don't read responses anymore for their mental health but I still like whenever I find an author that's not been scared off by the comments.

On a opposite note to others on replying to TFTC comments... that feels weird. Like if someone copy-pastes "Thanks for the chapter" into a comment section they are essentially just giving a thumbs up to the chapter...responding with "thanks for reading" or similar just feels super strange. Like upvoting an upvote or liking a like.

As mostly a reader yet, I honestly don't know that I particularly care if the author responds or not to comments, in terms of whether that would influence whether I participate in comments.

I post stuff if I have a response pop into my head, otherwise I don't post stuff.  Whether the author has said a thing or not yet (so far) has not changed that behavior.

However, I DO like reading comments where the author is being incredibly vague, oblique, or borderline-trolling with their responses, egging on speculative threads.  Just like someone poking a line of dominoes and walking away while innocently whistling as if they were never really there.  [insert appropriate emoji here]

I'm usually the type that prefers if authors respond to my comments, but that's because on previous fiction sites I was on before I came here, I put a ton of effort into letting them know my thoughts each chapter. As a writer, I know one of the most rewarding kinds of response to a chapter is a longer comment just talking about all the points the commenter found enjoyable. Constructive criticism is important for finding out what isn't working in a story, but equally important is feedback on what is working. I try to do that for stories I really enjoy.

If I leave a comment like that, and it takes a bit to write, it can get disheartening if an author never responds. That usually pushes me to stop doing it because I have no idea if the author is even reading my comments or wants me to leave them in the first place. But if they do respond, it usually makes me a loyal reader that comments every chapter. 

Definitely prefer less author interaction in the comments instead of more. Not only because it can kill a thread and speculation, but also because most authors that interact a ton in the comments end up getting offended and dropping the story.

Some interaction is still fine. A funny remark, responding to what appears to be a glaring plot hole (or specifying they can't clarify, but it's fine), thanking people for good edit recommendations or catching typos, etc.

Disagree? Not sure how to answer this. I don't really mind either way. My goal is to let authors to know what I find interesting about their story because that's what I know I'd want. It's a little surprising to hear so many people say there's active discussions going on in the comments between readers. The most I could see myself doing is giving rep to a comment I like.

This is something I never really thought about. 

I always reply to comments because I want to see more interaction, it never occurred to me that people are turned off by that.

The big question is: why are people turned off by that? 

Personally, I am completely jazzed when I comment and the author replies. It shows me that they are actually paying attention to the comments. Why would I comment on a chapter if the author was never going to read them?

Then again, I know I'm not normal by human standards.

Quote:
Personally, I am completely jazzed when I comment and the author replies. It shows me that they are actually paying attention to the comments. Why would I comment on a chapter if the author was never going to read them?

To engage in discussion and memes with the other fellow readers 

Also I'm not saying it's a bad thing for an author to reply, I am just wondering, and asking what others think :)

Ararara Wrote:
Quote:

To engage in discussion and memes with the other fellow readers 

Also I'm not saying it's a bad thing for an author to reply, I am just wondering, and asking what others think :)

I get what your saying. I was more surprised at the responses that claimed comments are stifled or cut-off when an author responds.

After thinking about it a bit more, I feel it might be an issue of authorial intent. If a person reads a chapter, and offers their own thoughts on it – those are their own thoughts.

If I – as the author – then respond to that comment and tell them anything that could be construed a refuting their thoughts, they don't feel like commenting more. Maybe I wasn't trying to "correct" their interpretation of my writing, but all that's needed is for them to feel that way. I think (although I could be wrong) that this is why some people might feel the comments are being stifled.

Generally, people don't like authorial intent when it's coming straight from the author. If a random person tells you that your interpretation of the material is wrong, it's easy to shrug them off. Whe the author tell you the same thing, it can feel like you've done something wrong. 

I'll be interested to see how others respond to this question. It's an interesting thin to think about.

Well, as a reader, I comment about things in my head. 
I'm okay with authors who reply and made additional info or refuting my thoughts.
I'm not okay, when the author question me like giving me an exam paper to see if I pass my reading test or not, 
or ask me to recite like i have to remember the work like a bible. 

As an author, I will always read the comments with care. 
I do not reply comments, but i think i should at lease reply with a thanks. 
The reason i do not reply is.... i think that is the space for readers to comments and express their thoughts.
As an author, personally i don't want to take away that space from readers.
Hence, i don't feel right to reply