Isekai stories (no LitRPG or GameLit, if possible)

I’m interested in reading a few isekai stories (mainly because I’m working for the world of one myself, and I want to see how other authors present it). I’m good with pretty much anything as long as there isn’t a lot of cursing or sexual content—a stray or well-placed curse here and there is all right, but there’s not as much leniency with sexual content (it throws me off more than cursing does, and I’m more likely to stop reading a story because of it). Preferably no LitRPG or GameLit stories; about everything else is good, though, and fantasy has a special mention as a genre I look to a lot. Something ongoing or completed would be preferred, but unless the chapters are really short I’d rather not read 100+ chapters to catch up (unless it’s really interesting, I can barely sit through more than 1,000 words—it would take me a very long to read a story with 100+ chapters with more than 2,000 words per chapter, especially if it’s ongoing).

To quickly recap: Isekai stories, no LitRPG or GameLit—fantasy in particular is a preferred genre but not required. Little to no cursing and sexual content is also preferred, but stories throwing around a few appropriate ‘damn’s and ‘hell’s are fine (‘appropriate’ here being ‘for the situation’). Anything ongoing or completed, preferably with either a smaller chapter count or a smaller word count per chapter.

I shall continue the search on my own as well. Thank you if you happen to know of a story that I might read!

Re: Isekai stories (no LitRPG or GameLit, if possible)

Well, I'm new(ish) to Royal Road, so I have a pretty limited knowledge of the fictions here, but I do know an isekai, fantasy story with little swearing (it does go beyond damn and hell though), no sexual content, a relatively small wordcount and isn't a litrpg or gamelit. The only problem is... Well, I know it because I'm writing it. And while I'm cool with self promotions, I feel kinda scummy recommending my own story in the recommendations forum, especially when there is a dedicated marketing forum for self promotion. Still, it is the only fiction I know that fits the criteria and no ones responded in the last 3 hours so, blegh. I'll do it anyway. Storys Deified. Its in my signature.

I will warn you beforehand, though, if your looking to see how other authors present an isekai world, Deified might still not be the best bet. Without giving you the full pitch (I'm being shameless enough rn) instead or it being a story about someone isekai-ing into a fantasy world and becoming a hero, villain, wordworker, innkeeper, librarian, monarch, monster etc, its about a group getting isekai'd into a world with nothing in it, and deciding to make the kind of fantasy world other people could be isekai'd into, as the semi-omnipotent gods of the world. Thus, if your looking to see how, say, a person reacts to the world around them, how they compare it to Earth, how they exploit Earth knowledge/videogame knowledge to cheat the system and become OP, all those isekai staples you may not get that, cos my MCs aren't reacting to the world around it. Kinda. Cos their making it. Idk, hopefully you get what I'm trying to say even if I'm not sure I'm saying it right.

Anyway, rambling aside, hopefully this is useful, or at least, someone comes along one day with a better rec. Good luck with your future fiction!

Re: Isekai stories (no LitRPG or GameLit, if possible)

Snellod Wrote: Well, I'm new(ish) to Royal Road, so I have a pretty limited knowledge of the fictions here, but I do know an isekai, fantasy story with little swearing (it does go beyond damn and hell though), no sexual content, a relatively small wordcount and isn't a litrpg or gamelit. The only problem is... Well, I know it because I'm writing it. And while I'm cool with self promotions, I feel kinda scummy recommending my own story in the recommendations forum, especially when there is a dedicated marketing forum for self promotion. Still, it is the only fiction I know that fits the criteria and no ones responded in the last 3 hours so, blegh. I'll do it anyway. Storys Deified. Its in my signature.

I will warn you beforehand, though, if your looking to see how other authors present an isekai world, Deified might still not be the best bet. Without giving you the full pitch (I'm being shameless enough rn) instead or it being a story about someone isekai-ing into a fantasy world and becoming a hero, villain, wordworker, innkeeper, librarian, monarch, monster etc, its about a group getting isekai'd into a world with nothing in it, and deciding to make the kind of fantasy world other people could be isekai'd into, as the semi-omnipotent gods of the world. Thus, if your looking to see how, say, a person reacts to the world around them, how they compare it to Earth, how they exploit Earth knowledge/videogame knowledge to cheat the system and become OP, all those isekai staples you may not get that, cos my MCs aren't reacting to the world around it. Kinda. Cos their making it. Idk, hopefully you get what I'm trying to say even if I'm not sure I'm saying it right.

Anyway, rambling aside, hopefully this is useful, or at least, someone comes along one day with a better rec. Good luck with your future fiction!

Recommending your own story in the recommendation forums is fine—I think the rule is “just don’t search for threads specifically to self-promote on.” I don’t mind, anyway. I understand what you’re saying, and I might read your story once I look at it a bit more.

In general for anyone else who may comment after this: it might help that my planned isekai story isn’t exactly traditional? It’s more of world-hopping than anything, without reincarnation/game elements/whatever else involved, and ‘isekai’ is just the best term I can come up with to describe it. If anything, then, I’d like to see stories that have the MC get thrown into a world without dying first, just to see how other writers would approach it.