Re: Should you even finish a fantasy your not confident with?

I fully get the sort of lack of self-esteem issues when it comes to writing, and one thing I've learned is that you have to sort of be okay with it not being 'perfect'. You're your own worst critic and all that, and while it IS super important to judge your own work and the estimations of your work made by others, it's ALSO important to make those judgements fairly. Being overly harsh on yourself is a really easy trap to fall into (I still fall into it a lot) but as long as you catch yourself doing it and just shake yourself out of it you should be fine. For me, what helps the most is getting some other peoples opinions on an idea, or how something reads, or so on. Nine times out of ten it's solid as it is, and I was just being a goober for no good reason.

So yeah, while it is totally fair to just end a project you no longer love or have any interest in (as much as I adore the later parts of dragonball, like cell and whatnot, toriyama probably should have ended it when he wanted to for his own sake), its important to make sure you're not doing it out of low self-esteem.

It's not exactly an easy question. It depends on the "Why?" of it. If you don't hate it? Keep going. If you think you screwed up? you can always rework it and start over. I've scrapped my work once or twice after a certain point. Motivation? That's a whole issue conversation itself, but just giving up seems sad to me. You can also just put your work on hiatus and do something shorter. Then return when you feel ready. 

First of all, the fact that you're brave enough to come here and try writing in your second language is admirable in and of itself. My second language is Mandarin, it's currently my primary language (for speaking anyway). I was thinking that I would like to translate my YA passion project, but I haven't found the courage yet to try. So I have total respect for anyone who is doing this as an English learner!

Don't give up! There are times you won't be confident with your writing - whether it's the actual language or the story itself - but I think it's worth it to push through and keep writing anyway, because at some point you'll break through and everything will get better. You can only get better at writing by writing, you know?

I'm here on Royal Road with the most pathetic excuse for a fantasy romance. I've been writing confidently for many years and I have my own writing style down, but fantasy is a real challenge for me because I'm horrifyingly bad at writing magic anything and my story is a flaming pile of trash, but I'm enjoying writing it at least, and that's what matters. Try not to compare yourself to other writers, you have to do it at your own pace. Remember: Your story is worth telling!