Re: Hi, there! New to RR, and posting a non-LitRPG. Does traditional fantasy fiction have a chance on RR?

Fellow fantasy, Non RPG writer here!

Yes you can grow an audience here. There are some amazing guides here too in the forum so be sure to check them out.

It will be slow to build an audience but just keep going. It may take weeks to months but just keep posting once a day and experiment which posting time works for you.

I have not posted anywhere else actually. Just here in RR and that is well... I dont know any other sites to post it. Not really sure I know any sites that have an audience for a steampunk fiction. My one word of advice is to just keep writing everyday. Even 30 mins or less but just keep writing. 

Thats how I'm doing it and so far I have reached 100K words on my story already :D 

Good luck my friend!

Re: Hi, there! New to RR, and posting a non-LitRPG. Does traditional fantasy fiction have a chance on RR?

William Wrote: Fellow fantasy, Non RPG writer here!
Hello William Benxley!

Always a pleasure to meet a fellow fantasy writer.

Thanks for the recommendations! I've seen a few of the guides, and will continue to check out more as I find the time. Also appreciate your advice on writing and posting times as well. Still trying to see which times seem to be the best to upload as I edit more chapters... unfortunately I'm unable to post daily, like some, but I commend those who can!

Good luck to you as well, and thanks for introducing yourself!

~ Saf

Feel free to introduce yourself and tell me about why you're on this forum and where else you have posted your fiction in the replies! Why do you enjoy writing, and what do you find to be your biggest obstacle in getting those words typed? Any tricks, tips, or rules I should be aware of if I do attempt a review swap on RR at some point?

Hello! I'm Sam and I am newish as well. I also lean more traditional fantasy or a mixture of serialization and traditional fantasy. I have been writing on and off for many years but recently been trying to get back into making a backlog for my story. I love writing since it allows me to vent my feelings and thoughts safely. 

I am disabled so I can't hold a job for long for various reasons. Whether in mental/emotional and physical pain or struggling with my autism, it's hard to connect. I'm hoping to eventually write something that I could make some extra money to survive on.

I have many obstacles that make it hard to write or be creative at times. I have little to no internal narrator/monologue (no conscious thoughts in my head) nor do I have the ability to easily visualize things. 99% of outlines make me drop stories or lost interest or struggle to do anything. I'm far more a discovery writer which has it's own issues.

Some tips I read on the forums off the top of my head:
1) 1-2.5k words tends to be a golden amount for a chapter. Many read on mobile so having huge chapters makes it hard to read or follow.
2) 1-1.5k works best daily, 1.6-2.5k works every 3-4 times a week, and 2.6k+ works 2-3+ times a week.
3) Consistency is what everyone aims for and warns against breaking
4) Even if it doesn't work out on RR, it might flourish on KU (which many go to) and the opposite is true too.
5) People on RR overall tend to go for popcorn fiction first. As such, while you will get fans and supporters, it will be slow going if it's not what they are looking for in the moment.
6) Some popular genres on Royal Road that aren't Gamelit/LitRPG are: Xianxia, Xuanhuan, Wuxia, Fantasy, Progression, Isekai/Portal Fantasy
7) Progression can mean far more than just growing in power. It's things like status, wealth, connections, understanding, knowledge and anything else.
8) Taking a genre and playing with the tropes or common elements in the stories can draw eyes to your work. You can also influence them with different cultures and takes on things.
9) It is a good idea to get some people together to do a critique or writing group. Not only would you all help each other but you would foster a friendship and bond with others.
and 10) You should do your best to write what you love. Money or popularity is fine, but if you are doing something you hate, the readers will know and avoid it.

I also agree that comment swaps should be more common.

If you, or anyone here, ever wants to toss ideas around or need someone to hear or critique anything, feel free to message me.

Best of luck in all your endeavors!

~ Sam

Sam Wrote: Hello! I'm Sam and I am newish as well.
Hi Sam! Lovely to meet you!
Sam Wrote: I am disabled so I can't hold a job for long for various reasons. Whether in mental/emotional and physical pain or struggling with my autism, it's hard to connect. I'm hoping to eventually write something that I could make some extra money to survive on.
This sounds really similar to my own personal goals. I really hope someday you're able to earn an income through your writing!
Sam Wrote: I have many obstacles that make it hard to write or be creative at times. I have little to no internal narrator/monologue (no conscious thoughts in my head) nor do I have the ability to easily visualize things.
I have heard of this. It's a testament to your willpower that you are able to overcome this obstacle to write your stories!
Sam Wrote: 99% of outlines make me drop stories or lost interest or struggle to do anything. I'm far more a discovery writer which has it's own issues.
Indeed it does! But outliners struggle too. I am somewhere in the middle, personally; I have to have some element of surprise as I write, otherwise it's no fun, but I also have to take lots of notes to write down ideas for the ending or I'll be heading to nowhere and my characters will be just as confused as I am! Every person is different and I'm glad you've found something that works for you. There are many famous discovery writers!

I can't thank you enough for the tips you shared. They were incredibly helpful, particularly about word count and KU, and I now have a slightly better understanding of the genres abundant on RR. Taking all of that into consideration, and I especially agree with your point about writing what you love.

If it's not fun...

Why are we writing?

Thanks for introducing yourself, and best of luck with your fiction! 
Likewise, you can message me anytime.

All the best!

~ Saf

ive seen traditional fantasy find success, I havent had it myself. Im writing a high fantasy epic, so i can relate. I deal with double depression and schizo-affect disorder so writing is a up hill battle, but keep at it, you'll get there.

If youd like we can do a review swap and send me your a link to your fiction and i can give you a shoutout, that will help getting you some views! every little bit helps =)

Throw me a DM if you are interested!

Fancyotter98 Wrote: ive seen traditional fantasy find success, I havent had it myself. Im writing a high fantasy epic, so i can relate. I deal with double depression and schizo-affect disorder so writing is a up hill battle, but keep at it, you'll get there.
Thanks for introducing yourself, Fancyotter98!

Your encouragement means a lot to me and I'm so glad to hear you're able to keep writing despite your own struggles. Thank you for your kind offer: I'll keep a review swap in mind for the future! Good luck with your your high fantasy epic!

All the best!

~ Saf