Re: Help getting onto Rising Stars

FGC_Checkmate Wrote: I don't want to come off as mean but if we're being honest, your story most likely won't hit Rising Stars. Especially now since it's Writathon and the front page is filled with new chapters every few seconds. And by the time Writathon is over, your story might be too old to even hit it.

I'm a little miffed at this too since I started publishing just as it started. But that's just the luck of life and roll of the dice. haha

Amber Wrote:
FGC_Checkmate Wrote: I don't want to come off as mean but if we're being honest, your story most likely won't hit Rising Stars. Especially now since it's Writathon and the front page is filled with new chapters every few seconds. And by the time Writathon is over, your story might be too old to even hit it.

I'm a little miffed at this too since I started publishing just as it started. But that's just the luck of life and roll of the dice. haha

That's incredibly bad timing.  On the other hand you should have waited a few days/ just joined the contest!

Dondokin Wrote:
Amber Wrote:

That's incredibly bad timing.  On the other hand you should have waited a few days/ just joined the contest!
I'm doing the contest, actually. Started the story just before it began and I've already hit quota. Will surpass the 55,555 by May 5th. Woo!

Amber Wrote:
LambentTyto Wrote:
spellbastard Wrote: Its fox news tier bullshit.
Hush your politics, sir.
I don't know. Those foxes are pretty sly in their news. You should trust me because I heard it straight from the racoons.
Don't trust the trash pandas! It's all smoke and mirrors, all misdirection. I heard it from the owls. You can trust an owl. They know who's who and what's what.

spellbastard Wrote:
DreameroftheUnknown Wrote: This is a call for help from anybody whose willing. My goal is to get onto Rising Stars, and one way to achieve that is by getting a lot of followers in a short time period. I would be ever so grateful if you could help by doing shoutouts, following my story (only if you like it though), doing reviews, or just generally promoting it however you can.

Of course, I would be amiss to not do the same. As long as your story doesn't contain sexual content, I would be more than happy to exchange advanced reviews with you, or do shoutouts, though I don't have much of a following. I know this is kind of selfish, but please help me reach my goal!  peoeyesparkle

Is the help you want the help you need? If your writing cannot reach rising stars, what is the point in boosting it there?
FGC_Checkmate Wrote: Off-genre stories don't make it to Rising Stars unfortunately.

Sorry but this is coping, there is currently a star wars fan fic on the front page next to psychic scifi. People are constantly saying this even though theres constantly exceptions and people are constantly saying the exceptions are exceptions. They're not. Write well enough and anything will trend... besides chicklit and historical fantasy, probably.
Looks like OP made it to rising stars despite you claiming their writing wasn't able to/doesn't deserve it.

Congrats Op, don't let naysayers get you down

TheKingofKirby Wrote:
spellbastard Wrote:
DreameroftheUnknown Wrote: This is a call for help from anybody whose willing. My goal is to get onto Rising Stars, and one way to achieve that is by getting a lot of followers in a short time period. I would be ever so grateful if you could help by doing shoutouts, following my story (only if you like it though), doing reviews, or just generally promoting it however you can.

Of course, I would be amiss to not do the same. As long as your story doesn't contain sexual content, I would be more than happy to exchange advanced reviews with you, or do shoutouts, though I don't have much of a following. I know this is kind of selfish, but please help me reach my goal!  peoeyesparkle

Is the help you want the help you need? If your writing cannot reach rising stars, what is the point in boosting it there?
FGC_Checkmate Wrote: Off-genre stories don't make it to Rising Stars unfortunately.

Sorry but this is coping, there is currently a star wars fan fic on the front page next to psychic scifi. People are constantly saying this even though theres constantly exceptions and people are constantly saying the exceptions are exceptions. They're not. Write well enough and anything will trend... besides chicklit and historical fantasy, probably.
Looks like OP made it to rising stars despite you claiming their writing wasn't able to/doesn't deserve it.

Didn't say that they couldn't. Asked what the point in boosting it there would be if it can't get there. We should focus on improving our writing to the point that we get there instead of soliciting shouts to boost it there.

spellbastard Wrote:
TheKingofKirby Wrote:
spellbastard Wrote:

Didn't say that they couldn't. Asked what the point in boosting it there would be if it can't get there. We should focus on improving our writing to the point that we get there instead of soliciting shouts to boost it there.
Err... noticing a bit of inconsistency here. OP got there because of shoutouts yet you say that all quality writing will eventually makes it on rs.

Clearly shoutouts helped, so OP is evidence that a lack of visibility could mean certain stories dont reach rs...

TheKingofKirby Wrote:
spellbastard Wrote:
TheKingofKirby Wrote:
spellbastard Wrote:

Err... noticing a bit of inconsistency here. OP got there because of shoutouts yet you say that all quality writing will eventually makes it on rs.

Clearly shoutouts helped, so OP is evidence that a lack of visibility could mean certain stories dont reach rs...

Are you trolling me, stupid, or just coping?

TheKingofKirby Wrote:
spellbastard Wrote: Are you trolling me, stupid, or just coping?

nothing wrong with you being wrong
happens to everyone

I'm going to go with a little bit of all 3.

TheKingofKirby Wrote: Err... noticing a bit of inconsistency here. OP got there because of shoutouts yet you say that all quality writing will eventually makes it on rs.

"op got there because of shoutouts" seems to be you implying that OP's writing isn't good enough to trend. Something that, by the way, I haven't said. (trolling. also stupid. low reading comprehension)

Then you say that I said all quality writing will eventually make it to rising stars(true), which sounds like you're saying it is good enough to trend. (coping. believing that you're mostly a victim to external circumstance)

Then you said shoutouts helped, so its a lack of visibility that stops you from reaching rising stars. (coping again. you can do lots of things to improve visibility. Thinking you're a victim of circumstance will make you a victim of circumstance.)

Royalroad is without a doubt the best serial writing platform I've used for visibility. There are things you can do to optimize your visibility within them, but often times people with no familiarity with the site whatsover trend, just due to the quality and content of their writing.

For reference on how much visibility there is on royalroad, you can see my referrals. I've excluded the top 2, because they are rising stars visibility, but you can see how many views I'm getting from other sources.
https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FP8IMKjq.png

Will endlessly pumping shouts so that you convert a small percentage of them into followers and ratings make you hit rising stars? Yes. It's also a relative waste of time and effort.

Bonus: off site references
https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F0b4I2Mc.png

spellbastard Wrote:
TheKingofKirby Wrote:
spellbastard Wrote: Are you trolling me, stupid, or just coping?

nothing wrong with you being wrong
happens to everyone

I'm going to go with a little bit of all 3.

TheKingofKirby Wrote: Err... noticing a bit of inconsistency here. OP got there because of shoutouts yet you say that all quality writing will eventually makes it on rs.

"op got there because of shoutouts" seems to be you implying that OP's writing isn't good enough to trend. Something that, by the way, I haven't said. (trolling. also stupid. low reading comprehension)

Then you say that I said all quality writing will eventually make it to rising stars(true), which sounds like you're saying it is good enough to trend. (coping. believing that you're mostly a victim to external circumstance)

Then you said shoutouts helped, so its a lack of visibility that stops you from reaching rising stars. (coping again. you can do lots of things to improve visibility. Thinking you're a victim of circumstance will make you a victim of circumstance.)

Royalroad is without a doubt the best serial writing platform I've used for visibility. There are things you can do to optimize your visibility within them, but often times people with no familiarity with the site whatsover trend, just due to the quality and content of their writing.

For reference on how much visibility there is on royalroad, you can see my referrals. I've excluded the top 2, because they are rising stars visibility, but you can see how many views I'm getting from other sources.
https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FP8IMKjq.png

Will endlessly pumping shouts so that you convert a small percentage of them into followers and ratings make you hit rising stars? Yes. It's also a relative waste of time and effort.

Bonus: off site references
https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F0b4I2Mc.png
This is some quality gaslighting. You implied in the first post that if OP's writing wasn't on RS, then it did not deserve to be there, as if RS is thr ministry of quality.

Please stop acting like that because you frontloaded your story with stats and and violence that you are the arbiter of quality.

If OP did not get visibility boosts from other authors, then they may have never made it to RS. OP's story might have never made it to RS without shoutouts. This means that is very possible that good stories fly under the radar due to how the RS system works.

But go ahead and keep gaslighting (and coping) to help you deal with being wrong.

TheKingofKirby Wrote: This is some quality gaslighting. You implied in the first post that if OP's writing wasn't on RS, then it did not deserve to be there, as if RS is thr ministry of quality.

Please stop acting like that because you frontloaded your story with stats and and violence that you are the arbiter of quality.

If OP did not get visibility boosts from other authors, then they may have never made it to RS. OP's story might have never made it to RS without shoutouts. This means that is very possible that good stories fly under the radar due to how the RS system works.

But go ahead and keep gaslighting (and coping) to help you deal with being wrong.

You're weird my guy TF are u so pressed for? Did I block you in my comments and forget your name lmao 

TheKingofKirby Wrote: This is some quality gaslighting. You implied in the first post that if OP's writing wasn't on RS, then it did not deserve to be there, as if RS is thr ministry of quality.

read through your post history and I'm just going to guess you're some salty ass author whose mad and jealous your shit doesn't pop. You probably think the only way to trend at all is shouts. Aye bro I feel for you. I see you complained that you asked for a shout from an author you never got. That same kinda shit happened to me before, so I feel you. But you ain't gotta start shit with me on a random forum thread.

Tell you what, if you DM me I'll help you critique and improve your writing. Free of charge.