Any Other Authors Who Have Lost Their Love of Reading While Writing?

Just what the title says, but I'm curious if there are others out there like me. It's funny, but I got into writing last year because some of my favorite authors had run out of new material. Of course, that was more my fault as, with Covid and lockdown, I'd read a good amount. Then I started writing, and it was like a switch went off in my brain, and I had little desire to read for fun. It almost feels like I'm somehow exercising the same muscle when I'm writing. It's really surprised me, as I used to read a book or two a week but now it's pretty much zero while I'm writing my second book.

I did find that when I took a break from writing, my desire to read for fun picked up as well. Does this happen to anyone else?

Re: Any Other Authors Who Have Lost Their Love of Reading While Writing?

Not really.  Although my joy of reading definitely went down a little.  I used to enjoy reading and immersing myself in whatever world the story had crafted, living vicariously through the character's eyes.  Now... I can still do that, but my immersion is periodically broken whenever I notice a unique sentence structure or a shift in writing style between scenes.

I don't think me writing has anything to do with it as I've been putting words to paper for more than half my life now, but in my case it seems to come from getting older. And being overwhelmed with more distracting and faster story telling mediums. I'm trying to get back into reading more, it makes me so sad that I don't devour books like I used to. Royal Road has been helping a lot so far, there are so many neat stories on here that are very different to traditionally published stories I'm used to. I've only been on here for less than a week and I've already found a few stories I'm pretty invested in! 

But in your case, it could very well level off and you could enjoy reading again. I find that sometimes it's hard to read when I'm super hardcore working on my own stuff and vice versa if I am reading a book that has completely captured me it's hard for me to write. Usually in the latter cases I will end up writing in the style of the book I'm reading cause I'm so stuck in that story, haha. 

TO be frank, I did the opposite. I found myself read more now after starting to write about Teleios. 
I went to public library to read about history, geography and all those texts never taught in school.
I read more about other's writing for review swap and when met new writer friends, i have to read their stuffs so that they will help read my stuff.
the reading amount really increased significantly when previously i only read for leisure.
Now, i read to learn, to exchange thoughts and to improve myself. 
it's a whole new level of reading.

I've found that varying the medium you read with helps a lot with maintaining it and keeping from any fatigue building up. Usually when I stop reading for a period of time, it's either I'm doing it all in one place, or a series hangover.

So now I consume a few different stories at once.

A couple of web novels, an audiobook, and trade off between e-books and physical books. 

Helps.

To be honest, I haven't really sat down and read for pure leisure in atleast 5 years.

I read comics and the likes, but books? Somehow it doesn't resonate with me as much anymore. Even more so since I've been writting more seriously.

Maybe it has something to do with my writting and the writting in those stories being too similar yet different that just makes the experience uncomfortable. A bit of a mental uncanny valley if you will.

Yes and no. I can't read webnovels and write. Completed book are fine, though. 

It's the format that gets me. If I'm unconcsciously thinking about the ten last cliffhangers in my Follow list, I won't be able to concentrate n writing. If I read something that has a proper ending, it's not so bad, because I can just binge a book in a day or two and then go back to writing. 

Waurpel Wrote: Maybe it has something to do with my writting and the writting in those stories being too similar yet different that just makes the experience uncomfortable. A bit of a mental uncanny valley if you will.

Well, coincidence happened. And that's my stuggle too when dealing with close groups of authors. Sometimes we came out with similar concept by coincidence. 

But not all writers feel okay with such things. Some purely paranoid about being copied or plagiarised until they left or blocked one another. While the readers completely notice it was just the similar concept used.

I always remind myself not to worry too much about similarities. Since my own writings were heavily inspired. The final goal should write sincerely, and enjoy the process of it. As simple as that.

I still read while I write. It's one of those things I need to do. If I stop reading, I'll find myself slowing down with writing.  So, about the time I start stalling, I have to ask myself when was the last time I picked up a book.

And mind you I do tend to read more trad. published books than web fiction. Web fiction doesn't really help me get back into the mind space of creating. Or I've not found the web fiction novel that does it. I do tend to seek out novels that relate to what I am writing as it helps out the most.

Not in the least! I find my love of reading and writing tend to ebb and flow in sync. The months when I write the most tend to be those when I read the most. They feed into each other, awesome stories making me want to write, and writing making me want to read.

My standards have gone up the more I write, it's harder to switch off editor mode when reading for fun... I often find myself mentally rewriting awkward phrasing or tinkering with flow more when reading, but I still love a good story as much as ever.

can't say I lost my love of it, but just that I don't have the same convenience of time... and not to mention, when I'm writing my crap, I read it about 7-8 times before I call it "done", and then editor work and back and forth... so, that's a LOT of reading in itself.

And I still work (sorta). 

I have written 5 plus novels in 2 years, read those roughly 3,800 pages 6-8 times... and toss in some other published books, and stuff I read about industry.

That's a workload. So deserving of REST is more the thing why I don't read as much as I once did.

I definitely feel the burn out sometimes, especially after a big editing session. Reading through your own chapters 5+ times to make sure it's right, makes it a bit less thrilling to go read someone elses work.

Still, I try and read some other stories, just to try and understand the way they write. I think it's a good idea to keep your own writing juices flowing, helps reset yourself if you're stuck, y'know?