Literary Fiction? I guess it's a "no" :)

Hey ya'll,

I am popping out my newest, "Jackpot". For whatever hope I had, it seems that the genres here have a near stranglehold on the audience. Bully for all in the fantasy, LitRPG, magic, areas. 

I was referred here from a friend who thought it was a "literature" forum. She assumed a broader base. 

I enjoy the banter and the general good nature of all here. So, adding my latest for a peek.

All decisions will follow in logical fashion. NOT going to swim against any current. Happy to learn lessons wherever they come from.

Thanks folks! 
Write on!

Re: Literary Fiction? I guess it's a "no" :)

Congrats on your new work! I'm not sure what you're commenting on, though...? It's true RR has its own niche genres, but it really shouldn't stop you from posting whatever you want. (But thanks for the thanks? Lol, okay, I'm confused, haha.)

I'd also say genre fiction can be literary (I'm sort of trying this with The Stormcrow Cycle, though it is a bit of a Frankenstein patchwork), but it's true not everyone will like it (or even enjoy straight literary fiction). I mean, some reviewer on Amazon UK gave Pride and Prejudice* a 1-star review and called it "Just a bunch of people going to other's houses", so you'll have to be ready to take it on the chin here and there. ;) 

Write on, and good luck!  DrakanWine

*I don't like Jane Austen, but I wouldn't have given P&P it 1 star. LOL. Like whaaat? 

I do appreciate the Royal Road platform. Outside of traditional word processing programs, the best online writing and editing is found right here. I didn't first realize my work would be so far out of place here —hence, no signature adverts — but I'm sticking with it if for nothing more than the practice.

Hopefully the site will evolve into an all-inclusive haven for the world of words.

RavenRunes Wrote: meh, that Pride and Prejudice review's fair.

Not sure mine fits in much either but who cares, gotta stick it somewhere.

Based on what criteria? Even the technical merits of the novel alone would push it past 1 star. I don't believe it stacks up against modern works, largely because literature has become so inventive, but it is certainly one of the giants upon whose shoulders these newer works stand. 

And this is from someone who can't stand Jane Austen (or Regency and Victorian era novels in general, with very few exceptions). I don't like it, but I can respect it for what it is. I do think it is overrated in some circles, but that alone doesn't merit a 1 star. 

I find it interesting that "literary" fiction is even considered a legitimate label that people can claim of their own works.

A lot of what we consider great literature of today was the genre trash of its time. For them, the "literary" badge was something earned over the ages through broad acclaim, study, and accumulated cultural significance.

KittraMcBriar Wrote: I find it interesting that "literary" fiction is even considered a legitimate label that people can claim of their own works.

A lot of what we consider great literature of today was the genre trash of its time. For them, the "literary" badge was something earned over the ages through broad acclaim, study, and accumulated cultural significance.

I'd say I half agree and half disagree here. The term "literary" is generally used somewhat loosely; it can refer to fiction that has historical significance or merit, as you say, or fiction that does not sit comfortably in any genre, or focuses on character or thematic exploration rather than plot. It can also refer to fiction that is highly experimental. So I think there's room for self-labelling here, though whether society at large (or even RR readers) will agree with the self-labelling is a different question entirely. 

Of course, if you're Margaret Atwood, you're undoubtedly using it to avoid being accused of writing filthy, filthy genre fiction, those peasants! ;)

And I'd also agree that a lot of what we consider literature was the "genre trash" of the time, but not all of it. If we look at time periods where there was critical commentary of the work we study today, quite a few of them were considered significant at the time they were published. So it's a little from column A, and a little from column B.

(Shakespeare, for example, was famous enough to have been targeted by his contemporaries. He was famously accused of being a plagiarist in a work by Robert Greene, who was a competitor at the time. It's extra funny if you consider that he was essentially accusing Shakespeare of plagiarizing Marlowe, which probably helped the "Marlowe was Shakespeare" theories that permeate to this day. I love it, almost as much as I love the juicy drama of Kyd vs. Marlowe. I will one day write the juiciest Kyd vs. Marlowe bromance, I swear!

...But not on RR!)

Tl;dr: It's complicated, but I see no reason to not self-label if we wish. The audience can agree or disagree as they see fit! 

LitRPG and to a lesser extent fanatasy and magic are the traditions of Royal Road. The site began as a fan translation of a Koren Web Novel Legendary MoonLight Sculptor, if I recall correctly. 

The name of the game the novel was set in was called Royal Road. I first came to this site years ago as a lurker reading the translations. Writing stories was only starting to become the main thing of the site at that point. 

So, maybe one day Royal Road will continue to change and LitRPG/fantasy won't be the top genres. But, they are the traditions of the website and the main appeal to why readers were and still come to Royal Road. 

I hope everyone finds readers who enjoy their works, and readers who find works to enjoy 😀

KittraMcBriar Wrote: I find it interesting that "literary" fiction is even considered a legitimate label that people can claim of their own works.

Say what? Okay, maybe my understanding of lit fic needs refreshing... Is it not a character driven story that doesn't really fit into any particular genre?

So, I scratched around to make sure my mind didn't do that thing where it creates false realities based on twisted memories. Lit fic is a character driven story with any elements of plot taking a backseat. 
From the article:
Quote:As Terrence Rafferty notes, "literary fiction, by its nature, allows itself to dawdle, to linger on stray beauties even at the risk of losing its way."

Aha! According to this, my work is also lit fic! Woo!

It's also a case of if you build it they will come, sorta, at least so far in as, if people give up and abandon writing or hosting their story from other genres on the site, then the site will find it very hard to build up a fanbase for that genre. There's also cycles, waves and currents to a stronger or lessor degree in how popular a particular genre is at any time on the site. Once you snag the die hard fans of a smaller genre, they will stick with you through thick and thin. Also because those genres are underpopulated, they would also reading elsewhere and would hopefully help cross-pollinate by recommending  your story in those places. Not the greatest plan of all time, but it can work.

DW Wrote: I do appreciate the Royal Road platform. Outside of traditional word processing programs, the best online writing and editing is found right here. I didn't first realize my work would be so far out of place here —hence, no signature adverts — but I'm sticking with it if for nothing more than the practice.

Hopefully the site will evolve into an all-inclusive haven for the world of words.
Well said DW! This is exactly my feeling. 

But it's sort of defeating when you know you punched out good work and you get 8 views of a chapter. :) 

It's also funny enough that it has given me another ironic comedy idea - the guy who keeps pushing his rock up the hill and it keeps rolling back over him... but if you ever ask, "How's it going?" HIs reply is ALWAYS, "It's getting better."

:)

Thx

You are trying to put meaning to my post that did not exist.

Literary fiction refers to "day in the life" stuff - character driven, real life in real world. It's a broad reference. Break that down into "detective" if you want, "military", "Little House on the Prairie"

But it is NOT sci-fi, fantasy, LitRPG or magic. THAT was my comparative point. I think you understood that. It certainly seemed clear to me and others.

But glad you made the point so I could clarify. Thanks.

TealiciousTea Wrote: LitRPG and to a lesser extent fanatasy and magic are the traditions of Royal Road. The site began as a fan translation of a Koren Web Novel Legendary MoonLight Sculptor, if I recall correctly. 

The name of the game the novel was set in was called Royal Road. I first came to this site years ago as a lurker reading the translations. Writing stories was only starting to become the main thing of the site at that point. 

So, maybe one day Royal Road will continue to change and LitRPG/fantasy won't be the top genres. But, they are the traditions of the website and the main appeal to why readers were and still come to Royal Road. 

I hope everyone finds readers who enjoy their works, and readers who find works to enjoy 😀
I was referred by someone who didn't know, clearly. And I have NEVER posted my writing anywhere. So, I jumped in. Simple as that. Found out through the course of events. 

Always learning is a good way to approach one's writing.